Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy ranting about Italien soccer

• 13-06-2008 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭

Dunphy was just on air there calling an Irish Independent writer an idiot because he claimed dont write the Italians off because their the current world cup holders.

Anybody know which writer Dunphy was on about?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I missed it,who was the journalist he was on about...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

i didn't hear him..but i do feel that dunphy should have his own thread on here every season to discuss his rants throughout the season..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Dub13 wrote: »
    I missed it,who was the journalist he was on about...?

Thats the question i asked:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Say, which journalist was he talking about, OP?

Dave! wrote: »
    Say, which journalist was he talking about, OP?

I dont know Dave, thats why i posted the thread to see if anybody else knew.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

do we need another Dunphy thread. He rants all the time why do people take it so serious?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

He didnt name anyone - just said a journalist in the Indo

Obviously Dunphy looks like he was right on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Jesus you should hear his rant now...

Rugby referees are better and have more class.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Apparently if Ireland were there they would have nobody to fear accoring to Dunphy:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

cheesedude wrote: »
    Jesus you should hear his rant now...

Rugby referees are better and have more class.

Come on now; he was at Croke Park for the rugby game so he'd know PLUS he watches rugby league too! Dunphy can smell character through the TV!!!!
    Dunphy - Judging a character near you!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

I hate the way he keeps going on about how great Rugby,Golf,Cricket etc.. is. He's told us all this before he's just repeating the same thing over & over again. Same the Italy thing. Anytime an Italian team is playing he goes on & on about how its in decline. Whether or not its in decline or not is besides the point he just keeps saying the same thing over & over again. He must running out of ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Esse85 wrote: »
    Yeah I know ;)

Come on now; he was at Croke Park for the rugby game so he'd know PLUS he watches rugby league too! Dunphy can smell character through the TV!!!!
    Dunphy - Judging a character near you!!!!

What do you mean come on now? I'm not denying it. I just think his ranting is boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Apparently if Ireland were there they would have nobody to fear accoring to Dunphy:rolleyes:

Ireland wouldn't fear anyone....we're not better than most of the teams(like Holland, Italy, Spain, France, Holland) but we could beat anyone with McGeady and Duff on flying form and Andy Reid spraying passes.

People underrated Ireland on here. The team now is far superior in terms of talent than the 2002 team, and we really should have reached the quarter final of that world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So who was he on about?

That's because we are a useless team.

cheesedude wrote: »
    That's because we are a useless team.

How the **** are we useless?

If we qualify for 2010 do we suddenly become good?

We struggle to qualify and get beaten by teams like Cyprus.

We are 3rd seeds (I mean in the grand scheme of things , even when we fluctuate between 2nd and 4th) . A good campaign where things go right for us mean we could qualify. Doesn really elevate us to any better standing.

Are Bulgaria useless?

Struggle to qualify?....We were within a win of qualifying for World cup 2006.

Scotland got beaten by Georgia are they useless?

Dont forget San Marino:p

• Advertisement

You mean the 5-0 win over San Marino, and the match in San Marino where we dominated, but because football isn't simply a game based on dominating we scraped through?

How the **** are we useless?

Because we are a dreadful team.

If we qualify for 2010, then we will have proven that we can play well as a TEAM and do alright for ourselves. Anything other than qualifying is punching above our weight.

Are Bulgaria useless?

Struggle to qualify?....We were within a win of qualifying for World cup 2006.

We had plenty of opportunities to get thta win but didnt because we are a poor enoungh team.

You mean the 5-0 win over San Marino, and the match in San Marino where we dominated, but because football isn't simply a game based on dominating we scraped through?

Should we be doing anything other than totally dominating San Marino?

So if Scannell, McCarthy, Garvan, Brady, Clifford etc. all come good are we still punching above our weight?

Stekelly wrote: »
    We had plenty of opportunities to get thta win but didnt because we are a poor enoungh team.

Are Scotland useless? You didn't answer that one. Same for Bulgaria.

Are Scotland useless? You didn't answer that one. Same for Bulgaria.

Yeah Scotland are pretty ****. They had a couple of good results that gave false hope but were beaten by a couple of crap teams. If the fixtures had them Playign France in the last 2 games they'd have been out of it long before they were and no one woul dhave cared that they beat them.

And Bulgaria?

*I have no problem with you saying Ireland are ****, as long as it follows a trend. You think Scotland are **** so fair enough*

And Bulgaria?

*I have no problem with you saying Ireland are ****, as long as it follows a trend. You think Scotland are **** so fair enough*

I'll be honest in that I havnt looked at Bulgaria at all recently , but I dont remember off hand last time they were at a tournament (usa 94? I think I'm wrong there)

04...but they lost all their games....I don't know if they were in before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Anyone else think Italy were harshly treated in that match? Played much the better football, scored a perfectly legitimate goal and then find themselves a goal down to a bad error by arguably the man of the match. A nothing penalty given against them. Panucci got the ball. A lot of decisions went against them. Strangely similar to Korea 2002.

Ireland are a horifically bad team in every department. Our only really talented player happens to be a nutcase. Keane, Duff, Reid, Hunt, Doyle are all mediocre not to mention a catastrophically bad defence.

What Keane mediocre? You're taking the piss surely.

If Dunne was mediocre. would city be offering him 80,000 a week?

If Keane was mediocre would Juande Ramos want to keep him.

Duff has played **** at club level for a while, but still at Int. level he is immense.

If Given was mediocre would Arsenal be after him?

Andy Reid is a good player, and the same could be said for Stephen Reid.

If Finnan returns we have a champions league winner, and althoug not in the first team as such anymore is thought of a lot at Anfield.

Then we have Aiden McGeady an unbelievably talented footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

He didnt name anyone - just said a journalist in the Indo

Trick question, I don't think there are any journo's in the Indo anymore, and certainly none lurking around the back pages.

We are not, keeper is not a priority for us and we have Almunia who is a very good keeper.

Duff has played **** at club level for a while, but still at Int. level he is immense.

If Finnan returns we have a champions league winner, and althoug not in the first team as such anymore is thought of a lot at Anfield.

Keane is a good player, the rest have question marks hanging over them. I think your reply is too biased.

Ok if Given was mediocre how has he got in to the Premier League team twice in his career.

• Advertisement

Keane is a good player, the rest have question marks hanging over them. I think your reply is too biased.

Ok so has McGeady no talent?

Has Dunne not been voted Man City player of the season for 4 years?

Has Duff not played well for Ireland?(You probably don't even go to games)

Has Finnan not been a permanent feature of a top 4 side in the English League.

Andy Reid and Steven Reid perhaps depending on the bar you set...but to say they are not good players is outragous.

You must think I was saying Roy Keane was mediocre. I actually meant Robbie Keane. The mediocre player in a mediocre team with a mediocre career.

Dunne: answer to your question: yes. many teams throw buckets of money at ordinary players.

Immense at international level is Messi, Kaka', Cannavaro, Henry, Zidane,
    Keane (Roy) certainly not Damien Duff.

Given is a very good keeper I have to admit, disproportionately so to the rest of the team.

You can throw in Mike Reid with the other two Reids you mentioned.

Finnan will be collecting his bus pass soon.

McGeady again is a mediocre player who plays well against mediocre teams. Any defender worth his salt cops onto his one-trick show very quickly.

:D

Andy Reid and Steven Reid perhaps depending on the bar you set...but to say they are not good players is outragous.

No, your spelling is outrageous.:D

You must think I was saying Roy Keane was mediocre. I actually meant Robbie Keane. The mediocre player in a mediocre team with a mediocre career.

Dunne: answer to your question: yes. many teams throw buckets of money at ordinary players.

Immense at international level is Messi, Kaka', Cannavaro, Henry, Zidane,
    Keane (Roy) certainly not Damien Duff.

Given is a very good keeper I have to admit, disproportionately so to the rest of the team.

Finnan will be collecting his bus pass soon.

McGeady again is a mediocre player who plays well against mediocre teams. Any defender worth his salt cops onto his one-trick show very quickly.

Good post, even though I don't agree at all.

But I hope you don't mean one trick pony literally? I'd say McGeady has as much tricks as the Ronaldo's, Messi's etc...but he doesn't have the same natural athletic talent they have.

Can I just say if everyone at that ordinary club an ordinary player?

• Advertisement

Dunne is a good solid player.

Duff is finished, has been for ages.

Finnan lost his place at Liverpool and will probably leave liverpool this summer.

Andy Reid has had a decent 6 months at Sunderland, 6 months in the premiership is not enough to call Andy Reid a good player, but then again you claimed Andy Reid was a better player than Gareth Barry so this shows your weakness in assessing a players ability.

Steven Reid has hardly played in the last 18 months, he's all heart not much ability.

You talk a lot of sh1t and your exposing yourself to everybody on this thread how little you know about the game. Take a trip to specsavers.

Good post, even though I don't agree at all.

But I hope you don't mean one trick pony literally? I'd say McGeady has as much tricks as the Ronaldo's, Messi's etc...but he doesn't have the same natural athletic talent they have.

Can I just say if everyone at that ordinary club an ordinary player?

Thanks!

Well, Ronaldo's tricks and stepovers always seem to be done on the halfway line. Comparing Messi to McGeady is like comparing bungie-jumping to knitting.

I didn't quite understand the last question. Are you asking me if everyone at Man City is ordinary? If so, yes.

Oh class one there. You're typical of the internet soccer fan.

If you watched an Irish game(when was the last time you did by the way?) you would know Duff is a skillful as ever. He will continue to thrive in International football because he gets more room.

Personally I couldn't give a **** if he played for Leeds Utd, as long as he puts in a good stint for Ireland.

You talk a lot of sh1t and your exposing yourself to everybody on this thread how little you know about the game. Take a trip to specsavers.

A tad harsh. I just think he over-rates the Irish players through his shamrock spectacles.

Thanks!

Well, Ronaldo's tricks and stepovers always seem to be done on the halfway line. Comparing Messi to McGeady is like comparing bungie-jumping to knitting.
    I didn't quite understand the last question. Are you asking me if everyone at Man City is ordinary? If so, yes.

Spurs.

But you think Elano is ordinary?

You think Martin Petrov is ordinary?

You think Stephen Ireland is ordinary

You think Michael Johnson is ordinary?

....You get where I'm going with this.;)

LOL, but I'm not saying McGeady is even near Messi, I'm just saying he might have the same tricks in his locker. Having tricks doesn't make you good, but it just so happens McGeady is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

This thread has gone as far off topic as when Giles was rambling about Anelka not taking one of the 5 penos for Chelsea in the Champions League final during the post match analysis of Italy and Romania! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

and here is where you proved yourself to be an idiot who is just trying to troll.

McGeady has made a fool of some of the best defenders in the world over the last 3-4 years in the champions league, has been listed by some of the best managers in the world as celtic's "biggest threat" to their teams.

Alesandro Nesta said after the first Celtic - Milan match 3 years ago "he was amazing for such a young player, I had to applaud him" when he was asked why he started clapping when McGeady skinned him and put in a stunning cross.

Seaneh wrote: »
    and here is where you proved yourself to be an idiot who is just trying to troll.

McGeady has made a fool of some of the best defenders in the world over the last 3-4 years in the champions league, has been listed by some of the best managers in the world as celtic's "biggest threat" to their teams.

Alesandro Nesta said after the first Celtic - Milan match 3 years ago "he was amazing for such a young player, I had to applaud him" when he was asked why he started clapping when McGeady skinned him and put in a stunning cross.

If McGeady was anything other than a pedestrian player he wouldn't be embarrassing the fearsome defences found in Dundee and Kilmarnock. Did you read that Nesta quote in the sun? If so, then it must be true. Who are all those defenders he has been terrorising in the CL for the last 3/4 years?

Spurs.

You think Stephen Ireland is ordinary

No, I think Ireland is a talented player who could (in a parallel universe) be as talismanic a player for Eire as Roy Keane was. He just needs to see someone and have some long, long chats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If McGeady was anything other than a pedestrian player he wouldn't be embarrassing the fearsome defences found in Dundee and Kilmarnock. Did you read that Nesta quote in the sun? If so, then it must be true. Who are all those defenders he has been terrorising in the CL for the last 3/4 years?

No, I saw it, on an Italian station, it was a tunnel interview.
    If you'd ever read any of my posts regarding english football or the tabloid industry which surrounds it you'd know not to say such stupid things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement