Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy ranting about Italien soccer

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

No, I think Ireland is a talented player who could (in a parallel universe) be as talismanic a player for Eire as Roy Keane was. He just needs to see someone and have some long, long chats.

He is seeing someone, about 4 or 5 times a week, it's part of his personalised training routine at city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Dunphy is right (to a degree).

The Italians simply aren't the force they used to be. Too many average players and old fogeys and who don't have the stomach to play football anymore. Materazzi is pure muck and doesn't belong on a football pitch. Ambrosini and Gattuso just don't seem to have the passion or the legs to pay consistantly anymore. Pirlo is obviously a class act, but if the rest of the team plays poorly, then usually he does too. Not only that, but Italy have no explosive winger or striker who would really strike fear into the Irish defence.

I'm not saying the Irish team are better than Italy, but, if they work hard enough, I can see us taking 2-3 points off them.

Dunphy is right (to a degree).

The Italians simply aren't the force they used to be. Too many average players and old fogeys and who don't have the stomach to play football anymore. Materazzi is pure muck and doesn't belong on a football pitch. Ambrosini and Gattuso just don't seem to have the passion or the legs to pay consistantly anymore. Pirlo is obviously a class act, but if the rest of the team plays poorly, then usually he does too. Not only that, but Italy have no explosive winger or striker who would really strike fear into the Irish defence.

I'm not saying the Irish team are better than Italy, but, if they work hard enough, I can see us taking 2-3 points off them.

An Italian 4-3-1-2 of

Buffon

Oddo Barzagli Cannavaro Zambrotta

Gattausso Pirlo De Rossi

Cassano

Toni Balotelli

Would be as good an any international team.

Balotelli was only left out of the squad because of some mental Italian adoption law which means even thought he was adopted when he was an infant he doesn't become a citizen untill he is 18.

Oddo was left out of the squad because of... well, I dunno, don't think donadoni even knows that one...

In Zambrotta and Oddo you'd have two full backs who work the flanks brillently and can put in a cross as well as anybody, in Balotelli you have a pacey strong young player who loves when the ball is at his feet and would be perfect foil for Toni.

And with Cassano behind them you have the most unpredictable and possibly the most creative player in the world.

also De Rossi and Gattauso compliment eachother very well and would provide great protection for Pirlo.

Italy have the best players of any national team, they just left too many of them at home.

Seaneh wrote: »
    An Italian 4-3-1-2 of

Buffon

Oddo Barzagli Cannavaro Zambrotta

Gattausso Pirlo De Rossi

Cassano

Toni Balotelli

Would be as good an any international team.
    No chance Donadoni would play such an attackingly minded team!

It's better than an Irish first choice XI, but I still think we could take 2-3 points from that Italian team. Cassano is only half the player that Totti was and likewise for Cannavaro over Nesta. Toni has gone completely off the boil, likewise for Gattuso. Infact, I'd take Perotta over Cassano, his passing could potentially cut us open. Thankfully for us though, Perotta probably will never wear an Italian jersey again.

I really hope that Donadoni stays on as the Italian manager. Let's be honest; as a manager, he's no great shakes. With him on board, I think that he would definitely stick with more defensively minded players. If Italy defend, then we have an even greater chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Just off-topic again, but the fact is if Italy beat us its going to be a goal from a corner or set play. I would fancy us keeping them out even in Italy.

I just hope Trap plays them on the counter and allows McGeady and Duff to run riot.

No chance Donadoni would play such an attackingly minded team!

It's better than an Irish first choice XI, but I still think we could take 2-3 points from that Italian team. Cassano is only half the player that Totti was and likewise for Cannavaro over Nesta. Toni has gone completely off the boil, likewise for Gattuso. Infact, I'd take Perotta over Cassano, his passing could potentially cut us open. Thankfully for us though, Perotta probably will never wear an Italian jersey again.

I really hope that Donadoni stays on as the Italian manager. Let's be honest; as a manager, he's no great shakes. With him on board, I think that he would definitely stick with more defensively minded players. If Italy defend, then we have an even greater chance.

Toni has gone off the boil, what? You seen his scoring record the last few weeks of the german season?

Also to say Cassano is half the player totti is is kinda harsh, totti is a better finish product but cassano, for sheer footballing ability and flair is, like, peerless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

The players I fear when we play Italy are Aquilani, Toni and Pirlo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Italy showed in glimpses today that they are still a very good team and to say cassano is half the player that totti is is definitely extreme. When he keeps his head he's a class act, as he's shown this season at sampdoria

Seaneh wrote: »
    Toni has gone off the boil, what? You seen his scoring record the last few weeks of the german season?

Also to say Cassano is half the player totti is is kinda harsh, totti is a better finish product but cassano, for sheer footballing ability and flair is, like, peerless.
    I admit, I've maybe watched 3-4 Bundesliga games this season. But come on, the Bundesliga is a second rate league. Just because Toni was top scorer, it doesn't make him a quality player. Wikipedia tells me that top Bundesliga players aren't exactly something that should strike fear into the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundesliga_top_scorers

If you ask me, Toni is a poor mans Didier Drogba.

As for Cassano, it was only a year ago that he was splashed across La Marca newspaper stuffing himself full of McDonalds fast food! I don't like Totti, but from what I've seen of Cassano, I can honestly say that he's not fit to lace the man's boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,431 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

you can't watch Italien soccer on tv - its extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I admit, I've maybe watched 3-4 Bundesliga games this season. But come on, the Bundesliga is a second rate league. Just because Toni was top scorer, it doesn't make him a quality player. Wikipedia tells me that top Bundesliga players aren't exactly something that should strike fear into the world.

If you ask me, Toni is a poor mans Didier Drogba.

LUCA TONI IS A POOR MAN'S DROGBA?????

I'm a Chelsea fan and I can safely say that that is utter nonsense. Could never ever see Drogba get 34 league goals a season. Luca is one of the world's most consistent domestic strikers. You buy him, he's going to score you goals.
    50 goals in 80 for Palermo
    47 goals in 67 for Fiorentina
    24 goals in 31 for Bayern
    At Brescia he made everybody think that Baggio had refound his best form and got no credit for it, but in retrospect, considering what a great player he is, alot of Baggio's transformation could be put down to him.

Look at Drogba's record for a second.
    12 goals in 63 for Le Mans
    20 goals in 45 for Guingamp
    18 goals in 35 for Marseille
    50 goals in 110 for Chelsea.

It's utterly eclipsed by Luca's and Drogba has alot of that record in the French leagues, hardly a bastion of quality defending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Ireland wouldn't fear anyone....we're not better than most of the teams(like Holland, Italy, Spain, France, Holland) but we could beat anyone with McGeady and Duff on flying form and Andy Reid spraying passes.

People underrated Ireland on here. The team now is far superior in terms of talent than the 2002 team, and we really should have reached the quarter final of that world cup.

While we are certainly capable of giving it a shot Dunphy is on his arse. Ireland could certainly have edged wins against the French and Italians.

But nobody to fear? The Dutch would have mauled us had we met them, they are just too on form this year and for Dunphy to believe otherwise shows he has lost the plot for the 7362nd time in his career.

Still a legend mind :) Cant get enough of Dunphy waffle tbh.

Advertisement