Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete shed/garage

Options
  • 13-06-2008 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I have plans to take on a project of building a concrete garage in my back garden. I've never taken on this type of project before so I'm doing my research now. I plan to make it 12" x 15" approx.

How do I work out the dimesions of the foundations I'll need to dig? Does it depend on size of building and type of bricks/blocks being used?

If anyone has experience or advice, please feel free to post. Thanks.

K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I have plans to take on a project of building a concrete garage in my back garden. I've never taken on this type of project before so I'm doing my research now. I plan to make it 12" x 15" approx.

How do I work out the dimesions of the foundations I'll need to dig? Does it depend on size of building and type of bricks/blocks being used?

If anyone has experience or advice, please feel free to post. Thanks.

K

I presume u mean 12' by 15' :)

In general, for normal conditions the width of the founds will be 3 times the width of the wall with the wall in the middle, so with a 9" hollow block , the found will be 27" wide, 9" either side of wall.

The thickness is a different matter and depends on site conditions and the height of the wall etc but 12" thick should get u out of most situations as long as you use good quality concrete.

I usually put the top of the foundation 12" below the finished ground level but this is just a personal preference.

There are more knowledgeable people here who will comment further

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Don't forget to square up the building first or else it will be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

ircoha wrote: »
    I presume u mean 12' by 15' :)

In general, for normal conditions the width of the founds will be 3 times the width of the wall with the wall in the middle, so with a 9" hollow block , the found will be 27" wide, 9" either side of wall.

The thickness is a different matter and depends on site conditions and the height of the wall etc but 12" thick should get u out of most situations as long as you use good quality concrete.

I usually put the top of the foundation 12" below the finished ground level but this is just a personal preference.

There are more knowledgeable people here who will comment further

Oh no 12" x 15" :) I'm off to a great start!!

Advertisement