Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd fans - do you want him to stay/go?

• 13-06-2008 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭

I know there has been a good few threads about him and the gen discussion thread is full of comments regarding it. Just want to do a poll on the United fans....

What do the United fans want? 52 votes

Stay please
    0% 0 votes
    100m euro plus - sell him
    51% 27 votes
    50-90m euro - sell him
    28% 15 votes
    50m player ex -sell him
    19% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Stay.Without a doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

I'd say good ridance. I'm sick of him at this stage. It sounds like he couldn't be any less commited to the club, the manager, his temamates and the fans. F*ck him I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Stay without question. Its very annoying how it has all panned out and of course it would be great if he just came out and said Im staying but at the same time I havent seen any conclusive evidence that he wants to go. I dont see how any fan could want a player who scored 40+ goals to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Stay of course. He's one of the greatest players in the world at the moment. Would be ridiculous to get rid of him unless he wants to leave.
    If he does want to leave, let him go, charge Real a Kings ransom and strengthen the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

raido9 wrote: »
    Would be ridiculous to get rid of him unless he wants to leave.

Where have you been for the last week? he does want to leave and has said as much.

• Advertisement

As someone said in the utd thread, he's really enjoying all the attention that he is generating by not saying one way or the other where he wants to be next season. And if Portugal go all the way in the Euros, his head will swell even more. I've said before, I think he's all about the ego. If he ain't 100% committed to the Utd cause I'd be happy to cash in on his market / commercial value. He would be tough to replace alright though, I don't deny that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Stay. You can't sell someone who has the ability to get 42 goals and expect to be successful. If Fergie can make him stay after he became public enemy number one in the world cup, surely he can convince him to stay when we're Champions of Europe, ffs.

We can't let Madrid win. That would be an admission we're a selling club. Wouldn't sell him for £100 million and all the tea in China, and the pretty ladies who bring the tea. He must stay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Where have you been for the last week? he does want to leave.

Where did he say that? Can you post a link please? Its speculation at the moment. When I see Ronaldo say in an interview that he wants to leave Utd then I'll change my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Who we talkin bout here?

If it's who I think it is........ then yes, I want Dong Fang Zhuo to go.

5 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If he wants to go he should, and will, go. I wouldn't want to see this media bollocks going on too long. I'm sure he himself wouldn't mind it.

United would manage without him. Big players have left before and Fergie kept United at the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,431 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Stay. I don't think Ronaldo's mind has changed at all over recent months. I believe he has always had a desire to play for Real, it is obvious and understandable. I think at the moment it is just as much angling for a new contract as much as a possible move.

If Ronaldo does stay, and I hope that he does, he will put in the same level of performance, or commitment, as he always has done. He plays to win, always, i don't think it matters who he is playing for - he will play to win and he will play to score, because he loves the adulation he gets when he does.

Even if we were to get a massive fee for him, and i'm talking 70million pounds, plus, who would we sign?

I'd love Benzema, but he doesn't want to leave Lyon yet. We'd never get Kaka or Messi and I reckon Arsenal (London) and Liverpool (Spannish connections) would be ahead of us for Villa. We don't seem to be at all interested in Eto'o, haven't heard anything about Silva either.

The transfer funds are useless if we can't bring in players of sufficient quality to replace him with.

So, I hope he stays, and I reckon if we offered him a new contract, he would, for a while at least.

raido9 wrote: »
    Where did he say that? Can you post a link please? Its speculation at the moment. When I see Ronaldo say in an interview that he wants to leave Utd then I'll change my view.
    Ronaldo wrote:
    "I'd like to play for Real Madrid but only if it's true they are ready to pay me and Manchester United what they have been saying''

Link: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601102&sid=a1x4XcOWSPwc&refer=uk

But why should he get another new contract when he just signed a new one last season? I think that would be rewarding him for courting this media hype and in my job I sure as hell don't reward bad behaviour!
    I can fully understand the desire of any footballer to play in a different country at a certain stage of his career, he's not unlike any other working person in that regard. We might not all want to move abroad but we might fancy a fresh start and a new challenge in another company. But he's only 23 and he hasn't achieved everything he can at OT to be fair. If we had won the CL twice or three times in a row and were totally dominant in the domestic competitions I'd say fair enough but there's plenty to play for at Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

As someone said in the utd thread, he's really enjoying all the attention that he is generating by not saying one way or the other where he wants to be next season. And if Portugal go all the way in the Euros, his head will swell even more. I've said before, I think he's all about the ego. If he ain't 100% committed to the Utd cause I'd be happy to cash in on his market / commercial value. He would be tough to replace alright though, I don't deny that.

I'd agree. If he wants to go let him off, every player has their price and if Real are offering 50-60 million it's an offer that United should seriously consider.

Very hard to replace him of course, and ideally I'd want him to stay but only if he's fully committed. He seems to have it in his head that he wants to play for Real and I've a feeling he will go.

He's playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world who have just won the league and european cup, so the fact that he'd even consider leaving shows the strength of his desire to play for Real Madrid.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    He's playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world who have just won the league and european cup, so the fact that he'd even consider leaving shows the strength of his desire to play for Real Madrid.

I agree it shows his desire alright but I think it's more about feeding his ego tbh. No one player is ever bigger than the team and we really shouldn't let him hold us to ransom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Where have you been for the last week? he does want to leave and has said as much.

I dont mean to be an ass but the reason I said Man Utd fans is that to reduce the amount of bickering and pointless arguments/comments.

Well now Mr Alan that's telling you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

i'd love to see him stay, don't want to see him leave ... but.... if he wants to go good luck to him give us €100 mil(or whatever crazy amounts been talked about)
    no player is bigger then the team and if he thinks he is off with him..we'll be just fine without him..
    As much as i love him as a player and everything he's done for united this season along with the rest of the team, i just find it hard to swallow that he's messing the club about like this, i'd just love him to say that i want to leave or i want to stay..and if he says he wants to leave things could get very interesting....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

id love to see the back of him.His career will fail if he moves.Good luck to him

Trilla wrote: »
    I dont mean to be an ass but the reason I said Man Utd fans is that to reduce the amount of bickering and pointless arguments/comments.

I assumed it was so the the poll wasnt spoiled, which is why i didnt vote.

This is not a Utd fan site (or subforum!:rolleyes:), i'll post where i want.

without being an ass ;)

and i dont see my only contribution here as pointless, a Utd fan said that it was only speculation that he wanted to leave and Ronaldo hasnt spoken on the matter, i simply pointed out he had.

• Advertisement

** Applauds **

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'd say good ridance. I'm sick of him at this stage. It sounds like he couldn't be any less commited to the club, the manager, his temamates and the fans. F*ck him I say.

Sounds like a certain cork native 6 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

and i dont see my only contribution here as pointless, a Utd fan said that it was only speculation that he wanted to leave and Ronaldo hasnt spoken on the matter, i simply pointed out he had.

prove it

simple request really, just prove it. you are so sure he spoke about his future, prove it. then tell the Portugese press officer about it, cause he doesnt have a record of it

zAbbo wrote: »
    Sounds like a certain cork native 6 years ago.

Really who would that be then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

i want him to stay he's to good of a player

kryogen wrote: »
    prove it

Kryogen, he said he'd have something in the media in a few days, a few days later the story is ran, the worlds media run with the interview with him, none of his representatives have denied it, no one from Utd has denied it. no lawsuit has been brought against the publication.

The onus is not on me to prove it, its on conspiracy theorists like yourself.

a conspiracy theory is a plot presented with an irrational method

much like all of you who believe the guy who loves media attention would do this privately

you are stating something as fact therefore the onus is actually on you to back up that statement

he said he would make an announcement in 2 or 3 days, then Scolari said noone in the camp would be discussing anything but International matters

why are you so desperate to cling to this story? and how can you use the worlds media as an example when you uourself condemn them and their "silly stories" so much?

your credibility in this matter is seriously undermined so all im asking you to do is produce a link to a full interview, if one exists you should be able to find it. then like i said, be nice enough to send a copy to the Portugal press officer so he can sufficiently berate Ronnie for breaking the team rules and give him a spanking

again, once more, so its clear, you are presenting you opinion as fact. the onus is now on you to prove that theory you presented

skysports news dropped the story after they investigated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I read in one of the papers today that he has supposedly said that he loves playing in white...

He's a sh!t stirrer.

With all that Ronnie has said and has been reported as saying, I would take it that he will most likely be on his way if not this season then next. He has said he would love to play for Madrid and apparantly it's a well known fact that he doesn't like Manchester a whole lot.

• Advertisement

I read in one of the papers today that he has supposedly said that he loves playing in white...

He's a sh!t stirrer.

typical fan tbh

read the full article, hes taking the piss

yawn, "Cristiano you look good in white" "well i do like a white kit, when i play for the nacional team that is, when i play for manchester i like red"

next..........

typical fan tbh

read the full article, hes taking the piss

yawn, "Cristiano you look good in white" "well i do like a white kit, when i play for the nacional team that is, when i play for manchester i like red"

next..........

I support the pool mate.

My view is that he loves the attention but he is not giving a good account of himself in this.
    He's young and he's distracted by all the bright lights...he needs to show a little respect to the team that made him.
    If he does go to Madrid he wont have Rooney and Tevez working their arses off for him.

thats why i said typical fan, not united fan..... see a snippet and form an opinion before finding out the full story!

i agree with you that he wouldnt have people busting their asses so he can showcase his talents at Madrid. i would hope he thinks that too.

thats why i said typical fan, not united fan.....

ah right...i see.

It funny this whole thing, I always thought he was a wanker on the pitch and a fairly decent guy off the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

If he really wants to go sell him for £80 million. If Real want him that badly let them pay.

If he wanst to stay keep him.

No player is bigger than the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

phenom wrote: »
    If he really wants to go sell him for £80 million. If Real want him that badly let them pay.

If he wanst to stay keep him.

No player is bigger than the club.

+1

The fans may have built him up but he will happily go if that's what he wants

• Advertisement

So Kryogen, do you think that Ronaldo is staying at Utd, he has no doubt....and that the interview was made up?

Alan my views on this are extremely clear, maybe youd like to use your memory for all my previous posts on the subject?

i still think he is considering his options. i still think he will stay. and no he hasnt made any comment to the media saying he wants to play for madrid.

ill take it you conceed defeat here as this will now be the second thread where i have challenged you and others for proof, actualy proof of what they claim and you have dodged providing it and tried to flog the same horse when its clearly dead

read over the countless threads and discussions on this if you want a detailed opinion from me again, im not giving all my reasoning again here

no i am not changing my opinion at all, i still am convinced that he gave the interview to Terra and said he wants to play for Real. I think the quote attributed to him he said to let Real know he wants the move.

The reason i think its true is because, although i agree that papers sensationise things, they very very rarely make up quotes because they would then be leaving themselves so open for legal action to be brought against them.

For Terra to do with with Ronaldo (most famous footballer on the planet currently) and Manchester Utd (who were publically very angry about the situation) would have been ridiculous and suicidal, and also there has been no denial from Ronaldo/Gill/Ferguson/the publication in question/Scholari etc.

If there has and i have missed it, then provide me a link and i'll apologise and bow out, but please dont talk down to me for believing a quote when you yourself can provide no proof its not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

no i am not changing my opinion at all, i still am convinced that he gave the interview to Terra and said he wants to play for Real. I think the quote attributed to him he said to let Real know he wants the move.

The reason i think its true is because, although i agree that papers sensationise things, they very very rarely make up quotes because they would then be leaving themselves so open for legal action to be brought against them.

For Terra to do with with Ronaldo (most famous footballer on the planet currently) and Manchester Utd (who were publically very angry about the situation) would have been ridiculous and suicidal, and also there has been no denial from Ronaldo/Gill/Ferguson/the publication in question/Scholari etc.

If there has and i have missed it, then provide me a link and i'll apologise and bow out, but please dont talk down to me for believing a quote when you yourself can provide no proof its not true.

There doesn't need to be as the story was so obviously made up. As Kryogen said show us some proof if not STFU. Why would someone as high profile as Ronaldo give an interview solely to an unknown brazilian website. Think about it objectively FFS not with your ABU tinted glasses on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Look, if i was earning 70k a year and a company came along offering me 150k a year, and say that job involved causing a lot of upset for my colleagues, my friends and my family, i would do alot of humming and hawing.
    Ronaldo is entitled to consider moving, the amount of money being offered is never heard of(bar beckham) in world football, and he does not owe it to the fans to show respect, its a big decision for him, im sure hes considering it,but i bloody hope he stays, hes a wonderful player, cudnt giv a crap if he isnt the nicest guy in the world.

• Advertisement

BTW

why are you sooo happy to believe those reports and "quotes" when you ignore his mothers actual recorded quotes to a tv station in Portugal?

she says he is fine where he is, that only God knows the future (sound familiar?) but he will be in Manchester next season. Dismissing the Terra comments

im sure you have heard that story too no? i know it doesnt get as much media coverage as it kind of goes against what all the major newspapers would like to see happen

christ even marca began to say that they had "quotes" from him saying he hadnt decided where he would be playing next season according to sky

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3664926,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

BTW

why are you sooo happy to believe those reports and "quotes" when you ignore his mothers actual recorded quotes to a tv station in Portugal?

she says he is fine where he is, that only God knows the future (sound familiar?) but he will be in Manchester next season. Dismissing the Terra comments

im sure you have heard that story too no? i know it doesnt get as much media coverage as it kind of goes against what all the major newspapers would like to see happen

christ even marca began to say that they had "quotes" from him saying he hadnt decided where he would be playing next season according to sky

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3664926,00.html

+1

Id ignore Mr.Alan tbh, hes just of those fans thats never happy, despite his team(liverpool) winning the double this year...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Stay, without a shadow of a doubt and I think he will.

I really think Utd are on the verge now of something special (domestic success and for the first time allied with sustained european success) over the next 3-4 years with the current players and the inevitable strengthening of the squad. It is Fergusons task to convince Ronaldo this after the Euros. It is imperative that we hold on to all our first team squad players.

Roy Keane wasn't the most talented player of his era but he was unquestionably the most effective and was the catalyst to so many of our victories. The same applies to Ronaldo now, he is certainly the most effective player on the planet. I don't care what Real offer it will not equate to what Utd can achieve over the next few years with Ronaldo and everyone else sticking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

If he stays thats cool but if he wants to go United get shedloads of cash. Its a win-win situation!
    I know Ronaldo's boyhood team was Madrid and of course he would like to play for them one day and I think he will but not for another couple of seasons. I think he'll stay another year or two. Sorry for upsetting the ABU's:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Stay.

When he tells us he wants to leave then i will clap him onto the plane.

So far what we have had is:
    1. Brazilian punter con Sky into thinking Ronaldo told him he was leaving even though he never had an interview with Ronaldo and wasnt even in the country.
    2. His mum saying he is a United player next season.

That means that anybody who claims to know is a liar. Look at him, a cocky young man, lets be honest, hes loving it. Ronaldo is a bit of a dickhead, i can admit that, but i reckon thats what sets him apart from the crowd. If he didnt have the balls to try some of the **** he does he would just be another... erm... Christian Whilelmson? Basically some great tricks but cant make the Bolton team.

Hes an arrogant little beggar, but christ, ill accept him for he what has done/ does/ will do for the club.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'd like him to stay, but if he keeps this attitude up... 100 million+ please Mr Calderon.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

PORNAPSTER wrote: »
    I'd like him to stay, but if he keeps this attitude up... 100 million+ please Mr Calderon.

100M and Calderon? What are we going to do with him? Can he play right wing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

lordgoat wrote: »
    100M and Calderon? What are we going to do with him? Can he play right wing?

:rolleyes:

Nah he can go unsettle every player in the prem that doesn't play for Man Utd;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I hope the marca building burns to a crisp, theyre so full of ****, ronaldo is priceless who needs the 75m stg, theyre already supposed to have 50m to spend already so id definetly prefer to keep him no matter what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Good point, if we were to get that some of money straight into the transfer kitty we could get 3 serious players. The likes of Sneijder, Berbatov, Lahm etc...overpriced maybe but could make the squad even stronger. It is a testament to the lads ability and contribution to a team that naming 3 or 4 very very good footballers and wondering if they'd fill the gap left by him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement