Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good bike

Options
  • 13-06-2008 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Looking for a pretty decent bike to buy its been a couple of years since i got on a bike looking forward to getting back into it.
    Plan is to use it hopefully every weekend guy in the bike shop recommended a "Carera" does anyone know what the quality of this bike is.
    If crap can you recommend a good alternative in same price bracket?????

Thanks in advice guy's:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

was the bike shop halfords by any chance?

Need a bit more info -

what do you plan to do on the bike? (off road, long distance road cycling, commuting) If commuting, how far and what type of roads? What is your budget?

Cant comment on the 'carerra' as ive had no experience with them, and not too sure which one you are talking about.. how much was the one in the shop you were in?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the carrera range in halfords generally gets excellent reviews for value and performance at their prices..

subway 1 got 10/10 in cycling plus and carrera gryphon gets good review here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/gryphon-18314

both are commuting/hybrid type bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Yeah seen the bike in halfords alright willing to spend around one thousand euro.
    Wont be communiting on it, probably 50/50 between roads and forestry tracks.
    I have done a bit of cycling few years ago traveled around europe on a bike and really enjoyed so hoping to get back into it and might aswell buy a decent enough bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I had the bottom of the range subway, the non disced version.

Great bike, shifters are a bit annoying as they are the grip-twisting kind and I found it lacked gears higher up. But if you are looking for a no-fuss, no frills commuter at a pretty good price, then its a good deal. Just don't expect too much of Halfords, bless the poor sods.

If however you end up like me and get bit by the cycling bug, then you will be shedding the carrera pretty fast. I probably should have held on to mine for commuting, as they don't exactly hold their value.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

will take any ideas don't have to go to halfords either. I am in the Laois area and am willing to travel around to pick up a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

If it's for road and forresty tracks, I'd suggest looking at a Cyclocross bike -they have knobbly tyres and clearance for mudguards, but are also quite light and have dropped handlebars for use on the road.

Being the resident Focus fanboy, I'd look at the Focus Cross Disc, Focus Mares Cross and Focus Cross Expert, all of which are cracking value and around your price range. The Cross Expert is a seriously good machine, with pretty much full Ultegra, though the 105 kit on the others is top notch too.

The downside is that you have to order it online from Wiggle, but they do come pretty much ready to ride -all you have to do is attach the handlebars to the stem and you're laughing

Advertisement