Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people/families emigrating?

Options
  • 13-06-2008 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone out there has, or is considering, emigrating alone or with their families. I know one family who have, but given how expensive Ireland is, and indeed the expected down turn in the economy, are more people activing seeking to emigrate??

I would love to hear from you if you have any thoughts or info on it...

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I moved to Norway not because of an economic downturn but because my girlfriend is here and is Norwegian. I have seen a lot of my friends move to different countries in 2001 when IT work was hard to come by in Ireland and now they are spread across the globe.

I can imagine that if times get tough and the work is elsewhere people will consider the move, I know for me it wasnt as bad as it was for some others, but the world is a smaller place than 30 or 40 years ago and flying home for me to Ireland is about the same hassle as getting a train from Dublin to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yeah, my husband and I are emmigrating, just sent off for my visa this week- we are going to Arkansas, where he is from. We are doing this mostly for the twins/ twin related reasons. For example, for the price of half of our one bedroom flat here in Dublin we can buy a four bedroom home with large garden there. We also find the area more family friendly than Dublin, and unemployment is at a low 2% (my husband has always found it difficult to find work here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My cousin is emigrating to Australia. She has 2 small children aged 20 months and 6 weeks old. She wants to do it before they start school. I suppose that's the right time to move, even though I'd say it'll be hassle.
    I'd love to move to Australia too. I'd have better career opportunities in my job, and I would be better paid. Every Aussie website I check has hundreds of vacancies! And I feel it would be safer for my children, esp from Health Service point of view. Only one problem, my husband reckons Ireland is the best country in the world and does not want to move. As my parents are dead I have nothing to tie me here, but his parents live locally.
    Maybe far away hills are green....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I too would move to Australia in a flash. I Have lots of family there and absolutely love the country but the OH wont budge:(

I know a good few people who have gone and love it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Newbie77

Hey Looptheloop,

Do you know any actual whole families who have moved there from Ireland?

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

I'm emigrating next year.... back to Ireland from Japan with my Japanese wife and 2-year old boy. Japan's not so good for kids.

Advertisement