Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faulty HP / Compaq Laptops

• 13-06-2008 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to see if anyone has noticed this to be a common problem?
    In the past 6-8 months i've seen at least 10 hp dv2xxx type laptops die from the same problem (not booting, , harddisk light blinks on briefly then that's it, no display etc.. ram, hard disk, batteries check out ok). This is obviously a hp problem, and the fault lies somewhere in the mainboard, lots of sites suggesting it's a fault with the nvidia graphics chipset.
    Have seen the exact same problem in a Compaq pesario. (sitting behind me atm with another DV2000).

So if you own one of these laptops and it's out of the 1 year warranty, where do you stand? Anyone know if HP has extended the warranty or will replace if these symptoms show themselves ?

(I know this question is best suited elsewhere but) Is there a legal route you could go down if they're not willing to replace the faulty hardware, this seems to be a widespread problem. About 4 of the previous ones I dealt with were within warranty so it was just a case of bringing them back to the shop and they were sent of for mainboard replacements. But i've had to tell a few people it's just dead and to replace the mainboard is costly and more or less can cost 400 euro to fix.

Cheers for any feedback,
    Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If you go to the hp/compaq website and enter the code on the bottom of the laptop, then it will tell you if the warrenty has been extended.

Mine wasn't part of the batch that was faulty, even though it has the exact same problems listed. Thankfully (and for once!) PC World are fixing it. Mine is a Compaq Presario laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

HP has responded to a class action lawsuit or thereabouts, concerning serious faults in a wide range of their laptops, particularly the motherboards. All will be serviced up to 2 years past the end of their originally warrantees afaik. Go to http://support.hp.com to find out more.

Fortunately mine is one of the immune models >_>

Advertisement