Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those of us doing tough courses . . .

Options
  • 13-06-2008 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Is every year really like this year? The pressure can't be all that, but I hear people say that the LC is only the first step in a five/six year May/June-hell?

If you can avoid the everynight drinking (tone it down at least?) it surely can't be that hard . . .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

The way I see it, it wont be like this again

Because your course will probably all be based around the same thing generally

Unlike the LC where you could be doing Irish one day and Biology the next

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

id imagine it depends on the course really..

Example, the music course in UCC have ONE exam only cos its continuous assessment, but the primary teachers in MI have loads of exams AND continuous assessment...:confused:

And then, theres the doctor hopefuls, god love them...

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Lol... college exams (first year at least) are so much easier....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Nah, nothing really compares to the LC tbh.
    It's all plain sailing for ye from here on in.

Most college courses have an element of CA to them, which eases the pressure for the final exams each year.
    Plus, unlike the LC, if you screw up an exam, you can repeat it a few months later to get yourself through to the next year.

So yes, while they're still stressful exams, I don't think they're anything close to te LC.

Well done to ye all for getting through it.

When you've been away from the LC for as many years as I have you forget how much goes into them, but I got my eyes opened again this year repeating my Irsh & all I can say is:-
    Hats off to ye all!
    & best of luck in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Depending on the course, first year exams can be grand. However, I have yet to meet someone who has said that the Leaving Cert is harder than college exams, and college in general. Having gone through exams for my degree and for my postgrad I think the Leaving Cert was a breeze. In college it is much harder to pass.

With the Leaving Cert, you generally have other options if you do badly or don't get the course you want, such as PLCs, etc. With college exams, if you fail, you have to repeat in the Autumn and if you fail again you have to repeat the year. This might seem insignificant but it's a bloody hard decision to make. I know people who had to repeat a year and it was an awful experience realising that you had to leave your friends and start again. This is a burden both financially and in terms of your future prospects. Also, your final result goes down on your CV and you will be probably be judged on it. The LC results rarely matter to employers unless you are going straight from school to a job.

Not to belittle the LC. It's hard. But give it a year and you will realise just how insignificant it really is. I barely remember my results. (I know how many points I got but I only know one or two grades.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement