Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accountancy routes for a future mature student

• 13-06-2008 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi all, I Hope this is the right thread, I am a 26 year old girl hoping to return to education this year as a mature student. I am hoping to become an accountant.
    I had considered going to CIT two nights a week to do a two year accounting technician course but i get the feeling that there might be another way. I like the idea of trainee accountant but do you need experience for this??
    Can anyone register with ACA or do you have to have a degree??
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

jonevin wrote: »
    Hi all, I Hope this is the right thread, I am a 26 year old girl hoping to return to education this year as a mature student. I am hoping to become an accountant.
    I had considered going to CIT two nights a week to do a two year accounting technician course but i get the feeling that there might be another way. I like the idea of trainee accountant but do you need experience for this??
    Can anyone register with ACA or do you have to have a degree??
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

For ACA you would need a degree or the IATI qualification. You could apply for the ACCA straight out. Not sure about CPA or CIMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭shewasoctober

You can enter as a mature student with the ACA (http://www.icai.ie/careers/how.cfm#d), ACCA (http://www.accaglobal.com/students/study_exams/qualifications/acca_choose/acca/overview/entry_requirements/entry_route), or CPA (http://www.cpaireland.ie/displaycontent.aspx?node=118&groupID=118&parentID=1).

All except mature students, thought the age differs; however, at 26 years of age, you are above all. None require you to have a degree. As a mature student, they see you as mature and responsible, so you do not have to complete any Accounting Technician program. You would start like a non-business graduate. Please see the links given above.

You can look for a trainee accountant position. The bigger firms looks for someone with a degree, but if you look at the smaller ones, you shouldn't have too much of a problem securing a position. Most firms will pay for your registration, exams, course, and so on. It will take a minimum of 4 years to become qualified. However, if are in Dublin and would prefer school first, Griffith College Dublin offers a full-time ACCA course where you would take your F1 & F2 exams at the end of the first semester and your F3 & F4 exams at the end of your second semester. Also, the ACA provides the option to register and pay the fees yourself, where you can take CAP I without working and become part-qualified: Pre-Contract Registration (http://www.icai.ie/careers/what.cfm). And the CPA, you can register for courses after registration as well, the ACCA too. The thing to remember is, all 3 require 3 years of on the job training, so you will eventually have to get the contract.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away. Also, the people at the ACA have always been very friendly to me. I would consider going in and talking to someone. Good luck!

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

Hi
    I was in a very similar position to you. I did the 2yr IATI in galway and my degree had nothing to do with business or accountancy. Since I finished IATI I started ACCA and had 2 exemptions and have done 3 exams this term through home study.
    If your background is not in accountancy and you have no other experience of it I would suggest IATI even for 1 year it gave me a great basis for the ones i've done so far and the ones coming up in December. You shouldn't have any problems finding a junior position in a company with no experience if they know that your heading for a few exams. Good luck with it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭jonevin

thank you to everyone who replied your advice was much needed.
    I think I will apply for the accounting technician course in CIT and also keep an eye out for a trainee position.

Advertisement