Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken television query

Options
  • 13-06-2008 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

I bought a tele back in November and its recently broke.

Now someone was out last week to fix it and he couldnt, said he needed another part and he would send someone else out. The other fella came out yesterday and again couldnt fix it. Wasnt sure what was wrong and told me he would order another part and try it and see if it worked.

Now I dont feel this is good enough. My father was on to the place where we bought it and they told him they will not replace it until the technician says it cant be fixed.

I know under the sale of goods and supply of services act your entitled to a refund, replacement or repair but how long can this go on? what if he comes again says he cant fix it and wants to try something else?

Im left without a tv and my question is after two attempted repair jobs can I demand a new television? If not how long before I can?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

There are no hard fast rules with regards to length of time. It is about what is reasonable. If they cannot repair the item within a reasonable length of time then they should replace the item. I would say at least give him the next time if it is not an inconvience to you i.e. the time he is there to fix it. If he cannot fix it then then demand a replacement.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

At this point, it would not be unreasonable for you to be asking for a replacement as they have failed to repair the item.

As far as I know, on the third failed attempt, the small claims court generally demands a replacement from the retailer if brought into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Cheers for the advices lads.

I think Ill give them one more attempt then Ill demand a replacement.

I know its not required by law but you would think after two attempts out of goodwill a 6 month old tele would be replaced. Certainly will not be doing business with Curry's again.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

The bigger a fuzz u kick up the retailer will will listen, GO mental. dem,and to speak to the manager. dont put up with the guys that are comming out to s=you. they are only the hands and eyes of the operation. the more mental u go / demand to speak to managers the more u will get.........

so long as your not taking the piss u should get a new TV!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

shanemort wrote: »
    The bigger a fuzz u kick up the retailer will will listen, GO mental. dem,and to speak to the manager. dont put up with the guys that are comming out to s=you. they are only the hands and eyes of the operation. the more mental u go / demand to speak to managers the more u will get.........

Nah. I used to work in retail a long time ago. If a customer went mental I gave them exactly what they were entitled to by law and nothing else. If they were nice they were more likely to get extras like discounts or replacements when they weren't strictly entitled to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement