Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quoting posts

Options
  • 13-06-2008 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the place to post this so feel free to move it...

Bit of a pet peeve of mine but it's cropping up everywhere now. is there anyway to stop people quoting the previous post? I've just read 2 pages of a thread in AH (first time in there in a while) and almost every single post had quoted the previous one.:mad:

[/rant]:)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

sprinkles wrote: »

Bit of a pet peeve of mine but it's cropping up everywhere now. is there anyway to stop people quoting the previous post? I've just read 2 pages of a thread in AH (first time in there in a while) and almost every single post had quoted the previous one.:mad:

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You could pm everyone that does it and ask them why they did it? Although unsolicited pms aren't a good idea.. hmm..

What do you think should be done, stop the quote facility?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I think most people do in case someone posts before them so then they have to edit and explain that they were replying to the post before that one etc. I don't see how ye could stop it without a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I think most people do in case someone posts before them so then they have to edit and explain that they were replying to the post before that one etc. I don't see how ye could stop it without a lot of hassle.
    That's the main reason I would do it. saves further explanation of a post and prevents you looking like an eejit if your post looks out of place because someone got in before you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The reason for it is that in some threads, by the time you've written a reply to a post, there are 5 or 6 in ahead of you. Without quotes, nobody would know WTF you're on about and would entice ridicule and scorn.

The only answer is thought controlled keyboards and an internet connection that's so fast it can send data packets back in time so that the reply actually gets there in the correct order.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

stevec wrote: »
    The reason for it is that in some threads, by the time you've written a reply to a post, there are 5 or 6 in ahead of you. Without quotes, nobody would know WTF you're on about and would entice ridicule and scorn.

The only answer is thought controlled keyboards and an internet connection that's so fast it can send data packets back in time so that the reply actually gets there in the correct order.
    +1
    Amz wrote: »
    That's the main reason I would do it. saves further explanation of a post and prevents you looking like an eejit if your post looks out of place because someone got in before you.
    +1
    +1
    Gordon wrote: »
    You could pm everyone that does it and ask them why they did it? Although unsolicited pms aren't a good idea.. hmm..

What do you think should be done, stop the quote facility?

No.

multiquote for the win!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

possibly true stevec but this "dilemma" is on the increase... some threads like the superthreads on the soccer forum require it but most normal threads don't.... just annoying is all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

possibly true stevec but this "dilemma" is on the increase... some threads like the superthreads on the soccer forum require it but most normal threads don't.... just annoying is all.

There's normal threads in AH now???:eek:

Where
    >->
    <-<

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

ah, my mistake. How silly of me :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

After Hours posters are... eh... special cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

He said we're special \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

is there anyway to stop people quoting the previous post?

that has to be the single most dumbest and stupidest idea i've ever seen ever, in the whole entire interwebernets. EVER!

can you imagine how hard it is to follow conversations where there's about 5 posts a minute without quotes? i've tried before, it doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Precisely.

This is a non issue if ever there was one.

Sherifu wrote: »
    He said we're special \o/

funny-pictures-cat-hug-moment-forever.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

stevec wrote: »
    QUOTE]

As above , Some posts are just being funny and flippent and unless you use quotes ,others in thread might miss the point (or have to trail back so many posts to get the jist/point ) so yeah, unless you get your (quick) reply in ,the quotes are the only way to go
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I always quote posts if I'm responding to something someone has said. It's vital for context. As others have said, on a busy thread, by the time you've finished responding, the post you are responding to could be on a different page.

Maybe the OP should just train themselves to speed read through threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It could be useful if there was some JavaScript to expand and contract the quote. Especially when someone has made a very large post which some numpty quotes in its entirety just to say "lol," retardedrolleyes tbh", "+1" etc.

Advertisement