Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well vz61 "Scorpion"

Options
  • 13-06-2008 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭

Just got this today, and I have to say, (in borat accent) I like!

First impression, larger than I expected, vtec said it was smaller than he expected, so its in between :D

But also, bloody nice look, finish and very solid in the hand, perfect weight too.

Size comparison \/

P6130237.jpg

The aep feels and looks great, the grip is a gloss black plastic, perhaps a bakelite effect would be nicer to some, but I imagine gloss black has a mass appeal and was used on scorpions anyway so is authentic.

The lower receiver is metal, a milled look to it, the upper is plastic, a gloss black and looks like stamped steel, a good contrast to a milled lower, so the effect is good.
    Front site is metal, barrel, and stock and stock mechanism.
    Actually, only upper receiver, grip and rear sight are plastic, though you'd never know.

P6130239.jpg

P6130236.jpg

Mag is new TM style, with last bb always used, and is steel.

P6130242.jpg

Fire selector on the left is accessible by your thumb, very easy to use, with 20, S, 1 settings, full auto, safe, single shot.
    To access the hop, you pull back the charging handles, and the dust cover on the top of the body retracts, allowing access to the hop.
    The whole upper assembly is held in place by the pin, just forward of the magazine. Loosen a grub screw under the gun in front of the mag, to allow this pin to be removed, the upper slides off m4 style now.

The front sight can be adjusted left to right with a supplied tool, nice.
    The rear sight has two settings, 75 and 150 ft, adjusted by flipping between two notches, m4, g36 style.
    Obviously this thing wont do 150 ft but its a feature on the real gun ;)

P6130240.jpg

Back to disassembly, with the upper removed, one screw holds in the gearbox, remove this, and the plastic frame it holds, to allow the gearbox to come out.
    The barrel and hop can also be slid out of the upper receiver, I advice you to clean the barrel, and dry the hop of oil.
    Sometimes on semi, the loaded bb can be pushed forward by a second bb, meaning two bbs are fired, this is rare, and reduced by cleaning the hop chamber.
    I plan on adding an o-ring between the barrel and hop chamber, to prevent the loaded bb moving forward, the air nozzle should be able to over come this resistance if the o-ring is not too large, but enough to prevent double loading.

Its a rare issue though, and the hop is simple, and easy to clean, so thats good.

Gearbox, my first aep, so I was laughing out loud at the size of it, the mighty heart of the beast :D

P6130230.jpg

more pics: 1 2 3 to show size of gearbox.

Chronos at 255 average, not bad, I've played games using 250 on a broken aeg, and did fine, with a 50 round mag, and a small size, AND cheap mags on rsov due to no gas reservoir, you are laughing in cqb :D

I have not yet taken the gearbox apart, nor do I intend to anytime soon, I'm having too much fun with this thing :D

More pics: 1 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The double feeding issue mentioned above is a non-issue now, it was merely a poorly installed from factory hop bucking.

Basically the hop rubber slips over the barrel, and has a shoulder that comes around the barrel to hold the bb, this shoulder had been pushed back over the barrel by forcing the barrel and hop rubber into the hop housing.

Take out the barrel and rubber, put the rubber correctly onto the barrel, and oil the outside of the hop rubber and slide it into the housing.
    Now a bb should be held in place by the hop and no double feeding.
    I tried to check this as soon as I got the gun but couldn't open the hop at the time, I got annoyed and forced it, and the issue was revealed ;)

So no more double feeds.

A few critical points now, the hop is very simple, it doesnt feature a rubber nub to press down on the bucking, merely a plastic arm.
    On an aeg hop with a nub, the nub allows the hop rubber some movement, and gives a more consistent hop.
    This plastic arm has no give, and on full auto, hop is inconsistent, with some bbs getting more or less hop.
    On semi, every shot is consistent, auto seems to be inconsistent so theres one fault to consider.

The wire stock when folded is very solid, I can shake the aep violently and there are no rattles at all.
    The stock is able to wobble up and down when extended though, only a little, it locks into place, but locks at the hinge, meaning the stock will move a bit, not awful, I dont personally mind that much, but another thing to consider.
    Also, the stock angle is not correct to the real steel, it should be lower when fully extended, poor copy by well, but again, I dont really care because what you get for the price is fantastic.

ROF also seems to be lower than the tm going on video reviews of the TM, this aep gets 11.5 rps on the chrono.

At half the price though, I can forgive these faults.

Advertisement