Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Images needed for boards.ie plugin.

Options
  • 13-06-2008 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I am redoing the boards.ie plugin. For those that don't know, its a free plugin for firefox you can check your inbox/subscriptions, etc.

As part of the redo I would like to get some new icons done for it. As your not going to get rich doing it, and I'd like to reward people for something nice. :)

So a little competition.
    1st Prize: Firefox Ogio Messenger Bag

2nd Prize: Firefox T-Shirt

3rd Prize: Firefox Cap

Three winners will also be written into the plugin.

RULES
    1. To enter create a image set as listed below.
    2. Each theme set you create is considered an entry. So you can enter more then once.
    3. In the event more then one of your entries win then only the first one will be taken as a winner. The next person in the list will be considered the next winner. Both themes will be added to plugin.
    4. Winner of the first place has the option to change between the prizes but swaps it out as the next up. For example if they want the hat, then 2nd prize is bag and third is t-shirt.
    5. Prizes will not be ordered until winners are selected and files received, so there will be a lag between final winners and prizes.
    6. The submissions will run until June 20th at midnight. At that point all submissions will be written out and voting will begin for best by community.
    7. Voting will end Sunday afternoon at 6pm or when I respond to the thread to say the voting is closed.
    8. In the event of a tie then I will pick the winner of the two for that slot (sorry).
    9. Once winners have been picked those image files will be the property of boards.ie. Other entries may do what they want with the themes. If they submit the theme for boards.ie use I may also throw it into the plugin, or work on theme set at later date. (which point they become the property of boards.ie).
    10. Stealing other peoples artwork in anyway is a disqualification of all your entries.
    11. You can post your entry as a zip file and/or image spread showing what they look like. Winners need to supply the files as requested though.
    12. Anyone refusing to hand over the files after winning will forfeit the prize and will move to next in the list.

*** In the event there is any whining my decision is final. ****

REQUIRED IMAGE SET
    Note: Says jpg, but would accept PNG as well.
    - Filename - | - Size - | - Description -
    aboutboardspm.jpg | 320x240 | Boards.ie logo with headings "Version", "Created by", "Artwork" (space for 3 names), "Description" (space for 2 lines). You can dress it up. For the about screen. This will replace the current about box.
    bie_logo.jpg | 32x32 | Icon logo for the add-ons menu.
    bie_a.jpg | 16x16 | Icon for status bar when the plugin is actively looking for emails every x minutes.
    bie_d.jpg | 16x16 | Icon for status bar when the plugin is disabled looking for emails every x minutes.
    bie_m.jpg | 16x16 | Icon for status bar when the plugin has an update (like new mails).
    bie_x.jpg | 16x16 | Icon for status bar when the plugin is not allowed to get info (eg. user is banned/password wrong/not logged in).
    bie_checknowXX.jpg | 16x16 / 32x32 | Menu option for checking email now.
    bie_usercpXX.jpg | 16x16 / 32x32 | Menu option for opening the UserCP page.
    bie_openinboxXX.jpg | 16x16 / 32x32 | Menu option for opening inbox page.
    bie_writepmXX.jpg | 16x16 / 32x32 | Menu option for opening the Write PM page.
    bie_opensubsXX.jpg | 16x16 / 32x32 | Menu option for opening the Write PM page.
    bie_openbikiXX.jpg | 16x16 / 32x32 | Menu option for opening the Biki.
    bie_enableXX.jpg | 16x16 / 32x32 | Menu option for enabling mail checking.
    bie_disableXX.jpg | 16x16 / 32x32 | Menu option for disabling mail checking.

The XX in the names is 16 for the status menus + 32 will be for buttons for the menu bar later on.

GOOD LUCK :)

Ps. Please can a mod/admin make this sticky?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

To help people along...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055310569

This is the old graphics used, which I want to replace.
    57880.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Interesting. If I get a chance, I'll give it a whirl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

(Stickied)

Interesting, might give this a go.
    Might I suggest something other than (lossy) jpg for the icons though?

png would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭SadisticSilence

Quick question about the "aboutboardspm.jpg" image...

What exactly is the image? You got a link to it or anything?

• Advertisement

Quick question about the "aboutboardspm.jpg" image...

What exactly is the image? You got a link to it or anything?

It is a new image. Apart from what is needed on the image how you design it is up to you. It will be replacing that tacky about screen.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

For boards.ie logo stuff, I've put up some high resolution PNG and psd/pspimage raws for the logo and text in a couple of difference schemes in the Development forum. Feel free to use them if it helps. May not be necessary in a forum of graphic designers :)

Hobbes wrote: »
    Three winners will also be written into the plugin.
    :eek:

lolzoe2.jpg
    :confused:

It is a new image. Apart from what is needed on the image how you design it is up to you. It will be replacing that tacky about screen.

Yet another Q.

Is there a specific layout so that the design fits around text, or are you looking to have the text already implemented on the image?

Yet another Q.

Is there a specific layout so that the design fits around text, or are you looking to have the text already implemented on the image?

I will be putting the three winners names into the space beside the headings. So when the winners are announced they can put the names on (or I will, but I know how fussy people get when someone touches their images :)).

So like I said, it is up to you how you design it. Just make sure there is some space.

So it can look like this..
    Artwork: user1, user2, user3

or
    Artwork: user1
             user2
             user3

or
    Artwork
      user1
      user2
      user3

or whatever. :)

• Advertisement

Awesome... :)
    The final one is the layout that I started to use before you edit the post... lol

Actually now that I think of it PNG is better as you have transparacy, but whatever people are happy with supplying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

You're not giving away the Firefox party goodies outside of the party are you??? :-O

It is what it's.

oneweb wrote: »
    You're not giving away the Firefox party goodies outside of the party are you??? :-O

Doubt so... That's on the 19th. A day before the winners are chosen

Here's my entry...
    The first one is to show transparency and the second is to show up some parts of images that may be difficult to see on the light background...

Images are listed respective to the list...

Feedback?? :D

compile-w.jpg

compile.jpg

Feedback?? :D
    Nice job.
    Way better than the crap I came up with :pac:
    Though it's interesting that we had some of the same ideas in terms of what symbols to use.

Anyway, here it is... I was going for the retro, early Windows 95 shareware look.
    >_>
    <_<

Hopefully nobody will enter a lolcat picture and I'll still be in with a chance of third place. :cool:

Nice job.
    Way better than the crap I came up with :pac:
    Though it's interesting that we had some of the same ideas in terms of what symbols to use.

lol.. Yeah, that is freaky.. I guess that there's really not that much space to get creative with.. (Not space as in: 16x16/32x32.. Meh.. I find it hard understanding me sometimes..)

Anywho, I think yours are miles better.. lol
    *shakes fist*
    Damn you modesty! Go away! Give us an ego!!!
    Hopefully nobody will enter a lolcat picture and I'll still be in with a chance of third place

And with that said, we both lose...

you have the about screen to be creative. Nice ones so far. Feel free to make more. :)

If people are looking for ideas, remember these are going to be themes. So I will have an option for the user to pick different theme they like. So look at current boards.ie themes, or if you know of particular boards.ie themes (eg. lolcats, atari jaguar). Or base on the forum you like the best.

I think I'm done.. lol
    I'd do more, but I just don't have the time.. :(

Hmm only two submissions so far. Are people still working on a design? Or should I end the first stage tonight as suggested?

• Advertisement

Hmm only two submissions so far. Are people still working on a design? Or should I end the first stage tonight as suggested?

Ahhh Scr*w It....
    The weekend is here and I think I'm in a good mood.. lol

If ye fancy extending it until Sunday Night/Monday Morn, I'll try whack up another design..

Well if there is only two entries I will merge 2+3 together and you can choose who gets what, or vote on it.

Well that was an exciting finish. :D

OK. Rather then drag this on. Winners are..

SadisticSilence
    DonkeyStyle \o/

As there is no second about screen. I'll stick with the first one. Can you make the following changes to it.

Version is: V3.0

Developed by
    Hobbes
    Cult

Design by
    SadisticSilence
    DonkeyStyle \o/

With regards to prize. You both have a choice.
    Choice 1: Bag
    Choice 2: Hat + T-Shirt. (will need Size+design)

Please PM me your choice, a zip containing the PNG files (I think I will stick with that format) and a name+address I can send the prize to. Once I have that I will order your prize.

Oh yea! If you have a theme name (rather then your name) let me know and it will be listed in the drop down menu. Otherwise it will be your nick.

I may be coding this to accept theme packs, so if people want to add at a later date that funtionality may be there. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I was gonna enter this but then I realised that I suck at icons and gave up. Sorry :)

OK. Rather then drag this on. Winners are..
    Hooray for low turnout competitions!
    As there is no second about screen. I'll stick with the first one.
    Well there was, but it was so hideous I didn't post it.
    But I'll throw it in with the rest of the icons just for the laugh.
    im...LOST wrote: »
    I was gonna enter this but then I realised that I suck at icons and gave up. Sorry :)
    I only realised that after I'd already made them... or about half way through. :D

Ok Order placed. Will take 3-5 working days (according to site).

Ok Order placed. Will take 3-5 working days (according to site).

Danke schoen

Yeah thanks Hobbes.

(un-stickied)

Prizes delivered. Thanks for the great work guys. The plugin will probably go live over the weekend btw.

• Advertisement

Coolies... I'll try my darnedest to get then new about screen through to you by tommorrow.
    Also, I'd be more than interesten in having a Themes option.. lol

Advertisement