Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

looking for speakers

• 13-06-2008 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

hi, just wondering if anyone can suggest a good brand or set of speakers to me? i need a new set of speakers and want to get something half decent at least. i have an old but much loved sony amplifier with a philips cd player. what speakers would be good and under 500 euros (i haven't a clue how much i need to spend but thats my max!). i want a good bass sound thats very important. should i go for floor standing speakers or bookshelf ones? and if i go for bookshelf ones do i need a separate sub woofer? i am a bit clueless :-/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

zenzen wrote: »
    hi, just wondering if anyone can suggest a good brand or set of speakers to me? i need a new set of speakers and want to get something half decent at least. i have an old but much loved sony amplifier with a philips cd player. what speakers would be good and under 500 euros (i haven't a clue how much i need to spend but thats my max!). i want a good bass sound thats very important. should i go for floor standing speakers or bookshelf ones? and if i go for bookshelf ones do i need a separate sub woofer? i am a bit clueless :-/

a mate of mine is selling his AVI Biggatrons for about €300. They're big bookshelf speakers and will have enough bass and detail for most people. If you're interested PM me... they're not well known but they're really good, touching on "high end" speakers. Go Google them!

review here... http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar99/articles/av1bigga.htm?print=yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

thanks slaphead, will definitly keep that in mind as well.

any opinions on KEF IQ5SE speakers? would they be a reasonable speaker to have? the other ones i looked at were q acoustic Q1050. any advice appreciated!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

The kef are nice but they really are "enrty level" speakers and made to look rather than sound the part. Q acoustic are not to be taken seriously.... awful things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

OP, I've recently traded in a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 8i floorstanders into Cloney Audio. They also deliver a lot of bass but as they are rear ported they need careful positioning to sound their best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

thanks again for the tips and help! i was just thinking as well, the old sony amp is 40 watts per channel @16 ohms - will this be a problem getting speakers? as i say i haven't a clue really, but i noticed some speakers like the kef said 8 ohm. so will i have to get some specific speakers to replace the broken ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

In general, most speakers these days are rated 4, 6 or 8 ohms. I've no idea how your Sony amp would handle an 8 ohm load. The lower the impedence rating on a speaker, the more strain it will place on amplifier.
    How old is the amp? Do its specs only give the power handling figure for a 16ohm load?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dazstraw

What model of Sony amp do you have, this may help regarding recommendations.
    Also what size room and are there many soft furnishings in it-eg floors carpeted etc?

Advertisement