Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride 2008

Options
  • 13-06-2008 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

Dublin Pride 2008 is in Dublin again this summer and kicks off tonight.

This year the theme is "always the bridesmaid and never the bride", and focuses on the issue of same-sex partnership rights. This festival culminates on the annual parade which this year takes place on Saturday the 21st of June.

I'm mentioning this in case any boards members are thinking of taking part in any of the events (and not just the ones that revolve around drink). Most listings should be on the official site.

To those planning on attending, have a happy and safe pride week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Twas my first time going to the gay pride parade on Saturday. It was soooooooo much fun,not even the dreary weather could dampen the spirits :)

Dis anyone else see Brian Kennedy in complete Diva mode??Was quite hillarious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

panda100 wrote: »
    Twas my first time going to the gay pride parade on Saturday. It was soooooooo much fun,not even the dreary weather could dampen the spirits :)

Dis anyone else see Brian Kennedy in complete Diva mode??Was quite hillarious

Aaaa crap I missed it , I had stuff I had to take care of saterday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

+1 crotalus! Had a gig on the sat night and was recovering from BGRH/tLL beers on the friday! Oh well will have to put a marker on next year's planner!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah I went this year as I did last year, seeing Brian Kennedy on stage was quite a surprise. Missed the damn parade itself as I didn't realise that pride was on the saturday (whoops) but made it to the after party... thing near Dame St.

Brian Kennedy waving a pride flag on stage whilst singing... fun times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

Does anybody even care anymore? Having a parade because you're gay is like having a parade because you have black hair. "Pride" comes from an achievement not something you're born with, it's such a double standard because you want everybody to accept you because you're born gay (you didn't achieve gayness or anything) but then need a big parade that imply's it's better than being straight, you never see a hetrosexual pride parade and wanna know why? because they don't feel the need to constantly ram their sexuality down other peoples necks (no pun intended), all Pride is now is a way of saying "Look at me, Validate me", you can imply it's somethig else but at the end of the day it's just more attention seeking because after the "drama" of "coming out" that attention isn't there anymore is it? because deep down everybody already knew anyway. Gay pride *snigger* let's just have a parade where 40% of the population chants "I'm here, I have black hair, get use to it" I'd bet it have cheaper flags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Funny how I knew the general content of that post before I clicked on the thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I must admit I sort of agree with kaz, but the thing is I love showing off and having a good time! It must be the gemini in me, either that or I'm just an attention hoe! Also I am happy with my sexuality, and am in a relationship with a very understanding lady. I wouldn't go the whole hog and go out dressed as I wouldn't make a very convincing female anyway! (as anyone who saw me at xmas beers will agree!) But I love having fun, being extrovert, (after a few beers) and enjoying life.

BTW kaz, fancy organising a Dublin flagwaving parade?! :D

MYOB wrote: »
    Funny how I knew the general content of that post before I clicked on the thread...

Jackpot...you see you's can all bitch about me but I don't need a parade to be me, you come out and nothing changes, no part of your life gets any more difficult, we come out and visually we change and have to be that visual person everyday in public and put up with all the sh!t that you's can avoid because it's not something people see everyday, your parade isn't a celebration of being gay, don't try to imply it is, it's a reminder to everyone that you're gay and as such society should be giving you constant attention and you wanna know why Transsexuals don't have a parade? because we don't want or feel the need to be noticed, gay pride my ass, if there was any pride in being gay there'd be 50% less anonomous thread on this forum alone.

DJ_Spider wrote: »

BTW kaz, fancy organising a Dublin flagwaving parade?! :D

I think at this point I'd probably be killed if people knew where to find me so parading it is out of the question :D:D but fire me a PM, I have some stuff you might want like hair and shoes etc...:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

DJ spider are you hitting on Kazobel?
    you do realise that "he" is a "ladyboy" or whatever the polite term for it is, yes?

• Advertisement

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    DJ spider are you hitting on Kazobel?
    you do realise that "he" is a "ladyboy" or whatever the polite term for it is, yes?

DJ spider is my friend and has been for a long time, he's well aware of my "ladyboy" status (as you like to call it).

Kazobel wrote: »
    Does anybody even care anymore? Having a parade because you're gay is like having a parade because you have black hair. "Pride" comes from an achievement not something you're born with, it's such a double standard because you want everybody to accept you because you're born gay (you didn't achieve gayness or anything) but then need a big parade that imply's it's better than being straight, you never see a hetrosexual pride parade and wanna know why? because they don't feel the need to constantly ram their sexuality down other peoples necks (no pun intended), all Pride is now is a way of saying "Look at me, Validate me", you can imply it's somethig else but at the end of the day it's just more attention seeking because after the "drama" of "coming out" that attention isn't there anymore is it? because deep down everybody already knew anyway. Gay pride *snigger* let's just have a parade where 40% of the population chants "I'm here, I have black hair, get use to it" I'd bet it have cheaper flags

Erm... because they're proud of who they are? Because there are still plenty of people who bottle up their feelings and don't tell anyone out of fear of misunderstanding? It's an acknowledgement and celebration of those who found the confidence to finally admit to themselves and to others who they really are and are proud of this fact.

Christ, by your logic we shouldn't have a St. Paddy's day parade anymore, I mean c'mon that is just a way of saying 'look at us, validate our irishness' because of the 'drama' of having to deal with snakes.

Cop on, we're allowed to have fun and be proud of who we are right? (I'm bi fyi, not that it matters).

Achilles wrote: »
    Erm... because they're proud of who they are? Because there are still plenty of people who bottle up their feelings and don't tell anyone out of fear of misunderstanding? It's an acknowledgement and celebration of those who found the confidence to finally admit to themselves and to others who they really are and are proud of this fact.

Christ, by your logic we shouldn't have a St. Paddy's day parade anymore, I mean c'mon that is just a way of saying 'look at us, validate our irishness' because of the 'drama' of having to deal with snakes.

Cop on, we're allowed to have fun and be proud of who we are right? (I'm bi fyi, not that it matters).

Oh so it's not "Gay pride" it's actually "Coming out" pride? is that what you're saying? please feel free to keep proving my point, the next chant should be "We're out, we shout, get use to it". Not that it matters but I don't give a flying fcuk what your sexuallity is but the fact you needed to point out you're not gay but bi proves there's very little "Pride" in be thought of as gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

If you'd ever bothered to go on a gay pride march you'd see there's far more to it than that, and you're totally missing the point of it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭auerillo

Oh so it's not "Gay pride" it's actually "Coming out" pride? is that what you're saying? please feel free to keep proving my point, the next chant should be "We're out, we shout, get use to it". Not that it matters but I don't give a flying fcuk what your sexuallity is but the fact you needed to point out you're not gay but bi proves there's very little "Pride" in be thought of as gay.

If you don't give, in your vernacular, a flying ****, then why are you contributing here? If guys want to parade, why not just stop whinging and let them get on with it. Why do you care?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

On another note, I was walking down the quays and I saw a Gardai put down a road block. I asked him why, and he said (in a cavan/monaghan accent) "The gays are parading today. Are you a member... *stutter* ... err...attending the parade, because its starting down that way just now!"

azezil wrote: »
    If you'd ever bothered to go on a gay pride march you'd see there's far more to it than that, and you're totally missing the point of it. :rolleyes:

Oh you :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: at me, what an excellent responce and sooooo gay, why would I need to go on a gay pride march? I'm not gay, I don't feel that need for attention that requires a parade, the only point of it is "look at me, validate me", why would I need that? I have more self respect than that where I can validate myself, I don't need half of Dublin to confirm my right to be part of society...

auerillo wrote: »
    If you don't give, in your vernacular, a flying ****, then why are you contributing here? If guys want to parade, why not just stop whinging and let them get on with it. Why do you care?

I said flying fcuk about his assumed sexuality, it was nothing to do with the parade, he brought his sexuallity into it not me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

And as I said, that's not the point of the parade and if you ever attended one and listened to the organisers you'd understand that, but you prefer to remain ignorant and spout shite, well you go right ahead deary ^_^

Two posts at Kazobel mentions the T word, despite the fact that it was not mentioned, or implicated at, by anyone else. Predictable to a fault...

• Advertisement

Ohhh for feck sake, fine you don't see the point, alot of other people do. I know loads of heterosexual people who attend pride too, I guess it's a celebration of sexuality and our freedom to do as we please with it. Also... assumed sexuality? Honey, I was born this way... get over it. There are plenty of trannies and transgendered people at the parade too who are more than welcome to attend. Why do the feel the need to attend? Barating from the general populous as being 'outcasts' I'd imagine...

Not to mention that it's also a protest against civil marraige being a load of bollocks and that we're also trying to get rights for transgenered people too so that post op people are legally recognised as the gender they are, not how they were born. Surely you of all people can respect that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

This year I had plan next year I will be in the city cetnre with my kids.
    Why ? so tht they can see that there are lots and lots and lots of people who are gay.
    They are 10 and 8 and they know that being gay means you like to kiss and fall in love with people who are the same gender but they don't think that there are that many people who are gay.

The whole point of pride is to raise the public awareness level of just how many people are in fact not straight, that sexuality is a spectrum, it was wonderful that the bdsm and fetish communities got so invovled this year.

It is great that it is a week long festival instead of just a day and the more normal it becomes the better but we are still not there yet. We are still not post pride, some peolpe may be themselves but as a country and a soctiety Ireland isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭david_the_great

i dont think we are ready to stopm pride marches yet

in history we have only had 25 and we ARE stil campaigning for full equal rights

and yes we havent achieved being gay- but we have acheived validating most of our ewual rights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭david_the_great

Oh you :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: at me, what an excellent responce and sooooo gay, why would I need to go on a gay pride march? I'm not gay, I don't feel that need for attention that requires a parade, the only point of it is "look at me, validate me", why would I need that? I have more self respect than that where I can validate myself, I don't need half of Dublin to confirm my right to be part of society...

no we need dont need half of dublin- we need half of ireland to confirm that we should have equal rights like the rest of you so that it is legalised- this isn't a "were here, we're queer march" there is a vali meaning to it and whilst we are ther people bring up issues regarding our future, aswell as give advice about it- it is also a celebration of a 25 year lod event which happened in new york- and yes- straight people dont have a pride, but they are not having their equal rights persecuted!

no we need dont need half of dublin- we need half of ireland to confirm that we should have equal rights like the rest of you so that it is legalised- this isn't a "were here, we're queer march" there is a vali meaning to it and whilst we are ther people bring up issues regarding our future, aswell as give advice about it- it is also a celebration of a 25 year lod event which happened in new york- and yes- straight people dont have a pride, but they are not having their equal rights persecuted!

This is to easy, straight women, on average, get paid less than men, handicapped straight people are discriminated againsed everyday, really if you can't say something sensible then don't say anything and finally it's not "Equal rights", if there were equal rights there'd be no persecution, you have just the same rights as the average joe soap, you just want more rights because "I'm gay validate me"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

This is to easy, straight women, on average, get paid less than men
    http://www.internationalwomensday.com/
    handicapped straight people are discriminated againsed everyday
    http://www.scope.org.uk/

Achilles wrote: »
    Not to mention that it's also a protest against civil marraige being a load of bollocks and that we're also trying to get rights for transgenered people too so that post op people are legally recognised as the gender they are, not how they were born. Surely you of all people can respect that.

Did I ask you to do that? on here I get called "He" all the time and it's only ever to take a cheap shot but guess what? I do pretty well on my own and certaintly don't need a fcuking parade to validate me. Everything I've said is true and you know it, Pride is nothing but a shallow way for gay guys to get validation because deep down they all crave that validation. You see the problem is you all see yourselves as "real men", you aspire to that ideal but then engage in activities that would be out of the "real men" norm and then bitch when straight people don't accept you, at least on here I'll fight my corner and it's always only my corner and on any given thread I could be defending myself against 20+ posters but not one of you do that, it's like a gaggle of gays, you need at least 10 before anyone will jump in and why? because you need to know that there's other queens on the sidelines ready with the validation you so crave. Go have another parade and stop bothering me with you're desperate need for acceptance.

MYOB wrote: »
    Two posts at Kazobel mentions the T word, despite the fact that it was not mentioned, or implicated at, by anyone else. Predictable to a fault...

And this people is you're gay idea of "equal rights", see we're "the T word", validate you's as gay but call us "the T word", dehumanize us because as Orwell said "All men are equal but some are more equal than others"

Erm, can you explain how that dehumanizes you in any way, shape or form?

You bring up the fact you're transexual in every thread I've ever seen you post in, anywhere on b.ie. Generally it hasn't been mentioned before you bring it up, and you mentioning it is off-topic. In this thread, it hadn't been mentioned and it was off-topic.

The issue in this thread isn't "validation". Its that you have some baseless hatred of gay men. It may in fact be *all* men, due to comments you've made in other threads to this affect. You barge in to a thread, manage to mention you're transexual as if this alters anything you say, then go off on yet another anti-gay rant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Did I ask you to do that? on here I get called "He" all the time and it's only ever to take a cheap shot but guess what? I do pretty well on my own and certaintly don't need a fcuking parade to validate me. Everything I've said is true and you know it, Pride is nothing but a shallow way for gay guys to get validation because deep down they all crave that validation. You see the problem is you all see yourselves as "real men", you aspire to that ideal but then engage in activities that would be out of the "real men" norm and then bitch when straight people don't accept you, at least on here I'll fight my corner and it's always only my corner and on any given thread I could be defending myself against 20+ posters but not one of you do that, it's like a gaggle of gays, you need at least 10 before anyone will jump in and why? because you need to know that there's other queens on the sidelines ready with the validation you so crave. Go have another parade and stop bothering me with you're desperate need for acceptance.

Oh right a case of parade envy ?
    Pride has never been just about gay men, it's not a flag with just a pink triangle on it.

Yes Transgender rights needs to be addressed and yes it falls under the section of human rights and yes everyone has to fight for what they should have already with sucks. I fall into several of the so called minority category's and am always happy to be an advocate and an activist for causes I believe in but there is big difference between doing that and validating someone throwing a hissy fit.

The only way to change people's view is by being a person to them first and foremost,
    a person who happens also to be x,y,z rather then an angry reactionary.

Pride is part of that, it's fun, it's a party and the more people who come out to party with us the less people throwing punches.

Advertisement