Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride 2008

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did I mention online groups?

No, no I didn't. And as I don't use many of them, I'm not going to play your pathetic little game. Although I doubt you'd get propositioned ten times in the first hour, if even the first YEAR, on QID.

As goes the rest of your post, once again I can't understand a word of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Kazobel wrote: »
    OK find one, only one online based one that doesn't. Find me one gay based site where the underlying aspect isn't sex and I'd bet you I can create a false profile and have at least 10 guys proposition me within an hour. You's don't have a sexuality, you's have a majority, at least lesbians can feel love but you all are dictated by you're dick and that's why you need "Pride", deep down you hate yourselves because you know what you are and how shallow you are as a group and thats the group that needs the parade.

Banned for trolling and being dumb enough to admit in PM that you were trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

OK find one, only one online based one that doesn't.

Here's one. All to busy ranting at each other in there to be bothered about 'hooking up'.

Those crazy kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

<snip>

Anyways back on topic after the hijack, who's getting ready for next year's party? And also, whilst civil partnership is a step forward we still have a long way to go people...

I don't plan more than a week in advance and I'm still wrecked from the last one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

So what pubs/clubs (if any) did you hit over the Pride weekend? I started off in Panti Bar(great music) then headed to the Front Lounge and then onto Jurassic Par cos the q to get into the main part of the George was huge.
    Funny thing was though that as soon as we got into Jurassic the door to the main part (that is usually shut) was open so we were able to get into the main part after all. Saved potentially an hours q.

Had a great day. I dont go out to gay bars/clubs much anymore(up to about 3 years ago I was in one every week) but there was a great atmosphere and I really enjoyed myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

jaffa20 wrote: »
    That is a ridiculous argument. The other groups get together because they share similar interests. Does the LGBT get together because of one main interest or because of orientation and hook up. Mmm :rolleyes:

Moreover, if we had full rights, would the gay pride parade still go ahead. Of course it would and it would achieve nothing but highlight difference which is contradictory to what people want to achieve. Many people do not even know what the parade is about... it is used as a day out to celebrate how they are "proud". I hate what the whole thing has become. Anyway, it's none of my business what people want to do but i just wanted to share my opinion. That is all.

When I was younger I used to think the same as this. I'm not really into the whole "look at me, I'm gay, I'm in your face, get used to it" scene that Pride always made me think of. However, I'm a little older now and can see things from a more rounded point of view.

The fundamental idea behind Pride is to stop discrimination and make the community at large realise that there are a lot of people out there of all shapes, creeds, beliefs, and sexual orientations. Just because someone is different than you they're still people with feelings and rights, just like anyone else.

Yes, okay, a lot of the attention at Pride goes to the fabulous parading and the people dressed up. But these days I'd see it as a GOOD thing that people are going out and having fun, all in the name of a worthy cause. Sure it might attract a little attention, and in the past I hated the though of being branded with the typical gay stereotype. I don't sleep around, I don't screw about, I don't fit the stereotype. Pride in one sense doesn't help to banish those pre-conceptions, and that's what always annoyed me about it.

There's more to the event than how it appears on the surface. Kaz-o-whatever sneered at the idea of a "coming out" celebration, but screw that. If Pride gives one person the courage to admit to themselves that they're gay/bi/transgender and that it's not the end of hte world, that they'll be okay, then it's worth having. Sneering at it? You ought to be ashamed.

Just think, one day (hopefully soon), the Pride march can be more about rejoicing in what we have rather than highlighting what we do not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭david_the_great

OK find one, only one online based one that doesn't. Find me one gay based site where the underlying aspect isn't sex and I'd bet you I can create a false profile and have at least 10 guys proposition me within an hour. You's don't have a sexuality, you's have a majority, at least lesbians can feel love but you all are dictated by you're dick and that's why you need "Pride", deep down you hate yourselves because you know what you are and how shallow you are as a group and thats the group that needs the parade.

www.gynite.com

how dare you steriotype us all into this group you have created in your mind- you dont know us and we are not a minority and weDO feel real love-

and personally i resent being called shallow because i am NOT nor have i ever been shallow

the lgtb go for walks for god sake and have tea and coffee mornings- nothing to do with sex- to be hinest none of the lgtb are about sex!!

David - no need to waste your breath (well, fingers), Kazobel won't be replying... and none of the rest of us need convincing to that regard I'd hope.

• Advertisement

And this people is you're gay idea of "equal rights", see we're "the T word", validate you's as gay but call us "the T word", dehumanize us because as Orwell said "All men are equal but some are more equal than others"

i never call anyone the t-word- its all the same to me- but i totally disagree with you!

MYOB wrote: »
    Heard about the attack, not good to attack peaceful protesters (which he was, unlike religious protesters in the past), not good at all...

Had a great night, met up with loads of lads I hadn't seen since school, including a few who'd come out since then.

he was a nice protester- he stood there with his board and if you had read it it was something about god and his beleifs-

my friend turn back to the light it said- which i thought was sweet considering thats what he beleives in!

i didnt realise he had been attacked though! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Moving back on topic, I did attend the parade on Saturday and it was good fun, ended up in the George but left before the apparent bomb scare. People will have their own ideas about what Pride means and what it should (or shouldn't be) about. Personally, I think that it has merit as a consciousness raising exercise for the general public. People might not care and that is fine, but there might be those who think "you know, I never thought there were so many gay people, and judging from the parade they represent a cross-section of society".

I also remember passing the man holding the placards, and was disgusted and shocked when I heard that two drag queens attacked him. As much as I may disagree with his views, he has as much a right to express them as the people walking down the street, and more to the point he was harming nobody. I would hope that if anyone has information on who these individuals who attacked this man are they would forward it to their local Garda station, there may be a basis for a conviction for assault (or at the very least a serious warning).

The pride in the park, well it felt like a party political broadcast to be frank, people were encouraged to write to TDs and take other actions to bring the issue into the public consciousness, and various speakers spoke about the issue of civil partnerships and gay marriage. But since it was the theme of the march, and the organisers had evidently gone to a lot of trouble to arrange the event, it had a certain relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

I live in an apartment along the route of the parade, and wasn't expecting it to come along. It was obvious that everyone was enjoying themselves, and people were generally better behaved than the usual city center crowd, but I must say that I found the parade to be a disruption to my work.

I've wondered about this for a while, and the discussion earlier from Kazobel put it into perspective. I really do find it confusing why people feel the need to parade in such a fashion. I've always had a particular aversion to crowd dynamics, and I dislike all parades for the same reason. I'd put an end to Patrick's day, if I could, but I don't mean to discuss my misanthropy.

But it's the idea that sexuality is an issue at all. It seems such a minor thing. What matters is the people you spend your life with. The shapes and features of their bodies, beyond aesthetic discretion, don't really matter, do they? And that such a huge distinction seems to need to be made between men and women seems to me the reason such a huge distinction needs to be made between "homosexual" and "heterosexual" people. I mean... without meaning to offend, those concepts wouldn't apply if people didn't seem to have a huge conceptual distinction between men and women. And that distinction doesn't, to me, even seem right.

Sexuality is a matter of individual preference. And I don't mean, "preference for one or other sex." I mean preference in the infinite sea of people.

I perceive that we live in a post-gender society. Sexual identity is a misnomer. If we must have sexual identity, it is merely the sexual component of personal identity, not the other way around. Anything else, it seems to me, is psychopathological.

We really ought to be getting over sex at this stage of civilization. It's good. Wonderful. Let's stop obsessing about it. It's not that great. It doesn't define us. All of the other primates do it too. So do most species.

It doesn't define me anyway. And it wouldn't, whatever way I swung. There are more important things to life than what sort of person you find attractive.

And then there's the question of rights. I understand that political power manifests best in the collective. But I don't think rights of this sort should be sought as a particular category, applying only to a particular type of person. I'm not gay, I don't self identify as such, but I would hope that the rights sought after in the name of that historical movement would afford me the luxury of freedom in that regard, even if I never intend to exercise it. Rights such as these apply equally to all people, regardless of their inclinations. We should all be campaigning for these rights, and we should all enjoy even if only academically, the elbow room afforded by them.

But surely, anyway, this is a civic matter, and not one for crass banalization and oversimplification such that exponents of the philosophy stereotype themselves, and almost parody themselves? Surely the organs of awareness for this issue is not the parade?

And so, I resented the parade, because it represented, for me, yet another crowd phenomenon, premised on a mistaken individuation of people, and banalizing the issues of liberty of disposal of sexual preference, wherever it falls, and because in the name of all of this, it made it really difficult for me to write the first chapter of my thesis.

And I thought it deserved expression, that a large crowd of people, making a large amount of noise, has repercussions for individuals, for whom the streets of the city are a residential area.

Advertisement