Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Prog Rock for Life

• 13-06-2008 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

I love the idea behind prog rock in that its fairly libertarian in its approach to music, different genres are incorporated, the structures are complicated, musical complexity etc. It should get more credit than it deserves, its like the pariah of rock music.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm quite fond of prog rock/metal, although it can be a little hit or miss sometimes. Some of the best guitarists out there are in this genre imo

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

definitely, some of its great, although some prog can be frustratingly tedious, it really depends. True also about guitarists. It allows for music at its highest level, very much the opposite of dumbed down, which is so ubiquitous these days. Bands like Porcupine tree, Radiohead, The Mars Volta and Opeth are refreshing in these times of retro indie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

definitely, some of its great, although some prog can be frustratingly tedious, it really depends. True also about guitarists. It allows for music at its highest level, very much the opposite of dumbed down, which is so ubiquitous these days. Bands like Porcupine tree, Radiohead, The Mars Volta and Opeth are refreshing in these times of retro indie.

Must say I do like a bit of prog myself. And most certainly agree it can be hit or miss. Right now, Porcupine Tree is pretty much all I listen to, listen to Anesthize in all its glory. Nearly 18 minutes of perfection. Really hope I get my tickets for their show on time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'm very much into Rush, Opeth, Porcupine Tree but that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Semi-Progger here but as I have a sense of humour as can see the delight of King Arthur On Ice! ;):p

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Big fan of Prog here. Rush, King Crimson, ELP, Yes, and especially the legendary Camel, who are far too under-appreciated in the grand scheme of things, and they were a huge influence on Opeth, give 'em a listen:

Terrific stuff.

Camel are exactly the kind of band that puts me off much prog. Its a bit ponderous and "precious", very redolent of Upper Sixth common rooms. ;)

Heres Rush, this is one of thier best ever songs from the sadly underappricated/criminally ignored Grace Under Presure lp :)

Mike.

Actually, is anyone here going ocver to the Porcupine Tree gig in London Or are ye just fans that enjoy them, but wouldnt travel? The are my prog band to fill in my obsession before I finally see Rush live!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

mike65 wrote: »

Heres Rush, this is one of thier best ever songs from the sadly underappricated/criminally ignored Grace Under Presure lp :)

Mike.

I never tire of watching Rush videos and imagining the damage i would do to such insane drum kits! (and it would not sound good!) :pac:

Really have to get some porcupine tree albums!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Can't agree that prog is the pariah of rock - Pink Floyd head lined Live-8, Rush's last album and tour received positive reviews in british broadsheets, bands like the Mars Volta and Tool, while not mainstream, receive only positive coverage and mainstream bands such as Radiohead and the Smashing Pumpkins acknowledge their prog debt with pride. Also prog pops up in some unlikely places, like when I seen Massive Attack at Electric Picnic 2 years ago, half the show was prog-tastic.

Have to agree with Mike about Camel, same goes for Caravan, they just don't do it for me. Tend to be more into the robust 70s brit-prog of Van Der Graff Generator, Soft Machine, Gentle Giant, ELP. Then of course theres Rush, heres The Weapon,one of their early 80s prog highlights, for the also criminally neglected Signals

A band I stumbled across recently is Tiles, kinda retro sound, but I really like them. The is Sacred and Mundane featuring Alex Lifeson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 The_Tempest

Well Muse are amazing and they're prog!

I know i'm gonna get killed for saying that but they're deadly!

ROLL ON 13TH AUGUST!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Mushy wrote: »
    Actually, is anyone here going ocver to the Porcupine Tree gig in London Or are ye just fans that enjoy them, but wouldnt travel? The are my prog band to fill in my obsession before I finally see Rush live!

Saw them supporting Dream Theater about 8 years ago, but unfortunately a ridiculously drunken mate of mine kind of ruined their set for me, falling all over the place and singing/shouting really drunkenly out loud during every song. Shut him up by the time Dream Theater came on, but unfortunately never got to enjoy Porcupine Tree. I've never really got round to buying any of their stuff, but really must as loads of people have told me I'd like them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Love Prog, but recently I've found much of modern prog heartless and formulaic.

Heard a couple of Mastodons new songs, and by God, sounds like I'm gonna eat, sleep and drink this album for about a year.

Oral Slang wrote: »
    Saw them supporting Dream Theater about 8 years ago, but unfortunately a ridiculously drunken mate of mine kind of ruined their set for me, falling all over the place and singing/shouting really drunkenly out loud during every song. Shut him up by the time Dream Theater came on, but unfortunately never got to enjoy Porcupine Tree. I've never really got round to buying any of their stuff, but really must as loads of people have told me I'd like them!

Wow! That'd be absolutely animal. They'd be two bands who should play here together, so they'd at least pull a crowd big enough. Be amazing.

I'm going to see Porcupine Tree and Rush this year.:cool:

galwayrush wrote: »
    I'm going to see Porcupine Tree and Rush this year.:cool:

Where ya going to see PT? Am guessing its London. Lets hope tickets dont sell out in the next three weeks, otherwise I cant go. And saw your going to see Rush in Toronto on other thread:mad:. Thats me mad, mad with jealousy!

Mushy wrote: »
    Where ya going to see PT? Am guessing its London. Lets hope tickets dont sell out in the next three weeks, otherwise I cant go. And saw your going to see Rush in Toronto on other thread:mad:. Thats me mad, mad with jealousy!

Yeah, London, apparently it's only a mini Tour. A friend of mine is sorting me out with a Ticket, same friend brought me to see Led Zeppelin at the O2Arena last december.:cool: There's about 10 of us going to Toronto to see Rush, and we'll get to attend the Rushcon annual event as well.

I got to see Porcupine Tree years ago, back when In Absentia came out, and again at the Download festival last year. They were absolutely fantastic live both times, and I'd love to see them again.
    Camel are exactly the kind of band that puts me off much prog. Its a bit ponderous and "precious", very redolent of Upper Sixth common rooms. ;)

I absolutely love their stuff, because of just how atmospheric they can be, and I would count The Snow Goose as one of my favourite instrumental albums of all time. Andy Latimer is just a terrific guitarist and composer, so melodic and so full of feeling... It just hits the right spot for me:

Oh, and I'm absolutely sorry as hell I made a grave omission...

The blatantly genius Jethro Tull! :D

The Tull w00t! :pac:

Martin Barre rocks. Hugely underrated.

Mike.

The Tull are just magnificent. No other way to describe them. Ian Anderson is probably the greatest frontman alive.

I keep meaning to invest in The Orchestral Jethro Tull on DVD, it sounds just so Spinal Tap (for want of a better description, just that kind of excessive vision), but it works in the way that only Anderson can pull it off:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Totally, wasnt quite sure Jethro Tull was prog or not ( i struggle with genres at times! )
    I have spent hours watching him on youtube, man he is on warped mo-fo! Over the top entertaining and just a serious performer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

As a big prog fan, I would have to say that it is treated like a pariah by the media. Take the BBC documentary on the history of rock a while back, it does the 50's rocknroll, 60's psychadelia, barely mentions prog but covers Glam and Punk, metal and grunge. I feel a lot of the influential journalists are too cool to go back on the punk attitude that most of them grew up with, like Tony Parsons, julie Burchill etc and the rest of the media have followed suit. The attitude of other influential people in the business such as Tony Wilson, John Peel to Prog hasn't helped either

Take for example a new program on early music on bbc4 which tries to rediscover Baroque and early folk music, the presenter opened the show having a go at the pre punk 'bearded academic following of the 70s' that took this music away from the common man, like what the **** has that got to do with anything? Perhaps if it wasn't for these guys this music would be truly lost.

I've been reading Johnny Rotten interviews, and he isn't the prog antichrist and he has since admitted liking Can, VDGG, Steeleye span and that he doesnt hate pink floyd he wore that 'I hat Pink Floyd' t-shirt just to piss people off. But the media will never change.

Prog, I think is being rediscovered, bands are reforming and playing (e.g. Daevid Allen and Steve Hillage have reformed Gong) and its great to see modern bands still carry it somewhat like Opeth, Anglagard, Radiohead etc. And as pointed out that the big acts still draw a big following such as Floyd.

Just on the subject of Camel, I really think they are not up to the mark compared to other 70's prog (yes, ELP, Genesis, King Crimson etc), The comment that they are ponderous is right on the money. In fact I would rank them along with Barclay James Harvest and the Moody Blues

For people looking to get into prog, check out

www.progarchives.com

because its all there

Ah God, didnt the PT gig have to sell out:(. I do continue my search though, it wont end just yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

And lets not forget these guys, back when Phil knew his place ... ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W35wtfcByIY

actually there is a half decent thread on Genesis here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055313744

On the topic of Prog, what do people think of the more folk influenced stuff? Tull is a terrific example, of course, but other folk leaning prog might be a little more divisive. One excellent band was Comus (give a listen here, great song!) but you don't often hear people talking about them.

More modern stuff, Opeth have quite a bit of folk influence in their sound, and there's the exceptional Pain Of Salvation, they're completely unpredictable in terms of direction and influence, they take in so many different genres it's just astonishing, but they definitely have their moments of folk, such as this song for example.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I really like Tull and I'm still waiting for them to become fashionable again. :D
    The folk stuff became increasingly what they were about but IMHO a large part of their appeal was Ian Andersons voice. His voice is just very listenable. He could sing any old ****e (and often did) and make it sound profound and evocative. In terms of the musical qualities of his voice I'd put him up there with Peter Gabriel and ahem .... Cat Stevens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Semi-Progger here but as I have a sense of humour as can see the delight of King Arthur On Ice! ;):p
    The show was only 'on ice' because when Rick Wakeman went to hire the venue he found out that a Disney 'on-ice' show would be the previous booking and thought it would be a good idea to keep the ice for free.

...this was during his alcoholic years, you understand.

On the topic of Prog, what do people think of the more folk influenced stuff? Tull is a terrific example, of course, but other folk leaning prog might be a little more divisive. One excellent band was Comus (give a listen here, great song!) but you don't often hear people talking about them.

More modern stuff, Opeth have quite a bit of folk influence in their sound, and there's the exceptional Pain Of Salvation, they're completely unpredictable in terms of direction and influence, they take in so many different genres it's just astonishing, but they definitely have their moments of folk, such as this song for example.

Thoughts?

Well thats the great thing about Prog it took on all styles and expanded them. I don't think Prog is Folk leaning, as for every Folk leaning Prog band I could give you a Classical music influenced band or a jazz, or an avant garde influenced band.

I agree Comus first album is fantastic. I must check out more of the Opeths/Mastodons etc.

For me Prog reached its excellence through the highly Jazz/Avant Garde influenced Bands from Europe, mainly Germany, but there is Focus, PFM also. mainly because the record labels there were more into signing bands that made music and indulged the artists rather than make money. However form the British scene there are some exceptional bands such as Gong, VDGG, Henry Cow, Soft Machine, Gentle Giant which really test the limits of music

• Advertisement

damonjewel wrote: »
    Well thats the great thing about Prog it took on all styles and expanded them. I don't think Prog is Folk leaning, as for every Folk leaning Prog band I could give you a Classical music influenced band or a jazz, or an avant garde influenced band.

I didn't suggest that prog in general has folk leanings, but rather I'm asking specifical what people think of those prog bands that do have folk influences.

Advertisement