Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Prog Rock for Life

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dubharlinn

Thanks! New material... mmm :D
    And what about Irish prog? Is there any good irish group to recommend me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

The ones listed in www.progarchives.com are

DR. STRANGELY STRANGE Prog Folk
    FRUUPP Symphonic Prog
    GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT Post Rock/Math rock
    HORSLIPS Prog Folk
    LOUDEST WHISPER Prog Folk
    MELLOW CANDLE Prog Folk
    MUSHROOM Prog Folk
    SLEVIN, JIMI Prog Folk
    TRACER AMC Post Rock/Math rock

I have only heard four of these Mushroom, Mellow Candle, Horslips and Fruupp. I would highly recommend Mellow Candle. As you can see a lot of Irish prog is very Folk biased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Are they're any out and out Irish prog bands around. God is an Astronaut are great and all but you know what I mean....

As for Spanish prog I picked an Iceberg album, Tutankhamon, in Barcelona a few years ago, very good I seem to recall but haven't listened in ages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dubharlinn

I have listened to God is an Astronaut and I like it. Specially Forever Lost
    http://www.goear.com/listen.php?v=7cfd087
    but I need to listening to them with more time and dedication.

I have founded an only song from Mellow Candle called Silver Song
    http://www.goear.com/listen.php?v=a42997a but I'll try find more songs to give my opinion :D

About spanish prog.. here most people don't remember (or they've never known any about spanish prog) any band, but if you like ICEBERG (great!) you will like another good and quite unknown band called ATILA. It's very difficult to find songs of these groups. Here is a good Atila's song
    http://goear.com/listen.php?v=5109273

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Can't believe we got this far into the thread and no-one mentioned Marillion yet. I know they're not overly thrilled with the tag, but if you like prog you'll probably enjoy at least some of their stuff.

Of the newer bands, Frost* and Tinyfish are worth a listen.

• Advertisement

blastman wrote: »
    Can't believe we got this far into the thread and no-one mentioned Marillion yet. I know they're not overly thrilled with the tag, but if you like prog you'll probably enjoy at least some of their stuff.

Of the newer bands, Frost* and Tinyfish are worth a listen.

I can, because they were dreadful, a really poor mans Genesis, and I mean
    P1ss poor.

Never heard either Frost or Tinyfish, will check them out though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

damonjewel wrote: »
    From a spanish point of view have you heard Triana, Andalucian Prog no less!

Brilliant track:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

damonjewel wrote: »
    I can, because they (Marillion) were dreadful, a really poor mans Genesis, and I mean P1ss poor.

Oh harsh, harsh Ron.

Did you not shed a tear to the sound of Kayleigh? Have you not bounced up and down to the sound of Market Square Heroes? :pac: I found them a bit "lumpy" or was that just the lugubrious Fish?

One of thier better tracks

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Ah here, lads, they've released stuff since Fish left, you know! :)

blastman wrote: »
    Ah here, lads, they've released stuff since Fish left, you know! :)

Does their drummer sing for them now I wonder? :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement