Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage heaters - thinking of getting one in the garage

Options
  • 13-06-2008 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

We have a garage attached to our house and we want heat in it for the winter.

How many hours do you need to leave them on for the night and how much do they cost to run?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Storage heaters are the spawn of the devil himself when it comes to your electricity bill.

Well thats my experience of them. Although looking at the ESB usage calculator it saysa large, 2.8kW storage heater will use 73.14 over 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Have you already got a nightsaver electricity meter?

If not, I'd say you'll find it terribly expensive to run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

quote...Storage heaters are the spawn of the devil himself when it comes to your electricity bill.
    this is what i thought but we deal with dimco directly and we sell a good lot of them, so can they be economically viable next to gas and oil or do the ppl using them have more money then sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Avns1s wrote: »
    Have you already got a nightsaver electricity meter?

If not, I'd say you'll find it terribly expensive to run!

No. How much does it cost to have one?

Guys...can anyone tell me how much per hour or something. I would just like to see how much it would cost to run the oil for an hour and a storage heater for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

No. How much does it cost to have one?

Guys...can anyone tell me how much per hour or something. I would just like to see how much it would cost to run the oil for an hour and a storage heater for an hour.

The SEI have an energy cost comparison page, you'll find it here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Depends on what model you get.
    Some can be 2Kw others mostly 3Kw.

They are very expensive to run and a waste of energy if not setup correctly (input against output/boost)

That's why it is always advised for anyone getting storage heating to get a domestic nightsaver installed as the rate will be 7c per unit rather than 14.15c

So you can take it that normally it will cost 3(Kw) x 14.15c per unit = 42.45c per hour to run.
    Whereas if a nightsaver is installed it will be 3(Kw) x 7c per unit = 21c per hour to run.

Ofcourse this wont be exact, but if you consider a house with 2 storage heaters, you are well into burning your wallet.

As a sparks, I never liked storage heating. They are okish for apartments, but not in existing houses without proper insulation. Add to it that most people havnt them set up correctly. Ie High input power at say 5 or 6, and the output left open.

Advertisement