Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any bets on when the next referendum will be?

Options
  • 13-06-2008 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Some time in '09? or will they leave it cool for longer

Obviously when these guys in Fianna Fail and Europe want something to happen they are not going to let a few Irish no voters stand in their way so a re-run is in order. They will try to convince us that we really do want this treaty to give more power to the EU. The lisbon treaty itself was a slightly modified version of a thing that got voted down in holland and I'm just wondering when they will give up or if they will give up at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

towel401 wrote: »
    Some time in '09? or will they leave it cool for longer

Obviously when these guys in Fianna Fail and Europe want something to happen they are not going to let a few Irish no voters stand in their way so a re-run is in order. They will try to convince us that we really do want this treaty to give more power to the EU. The lisbon treaty itself was a slightly modified version of a thing that got voted down in holland and I'm just wondering when they will give up or if they will give up at all?

I think its virtually certain that there will be a re-run and almost certainly with the same Lisbon Treaty text that was rejected yesterday. They'll just say that they've got assurances from the EU that X, Y and Z won't happen, reassurances that could be worthless in practice.

Anyway, I think we could be voting on it again as soon as October/November of this year. They could leave it till next year when I think we are due to have local elections, but if the economic downturn gets severe then any backlash against FF in the local elections could also affect voting patterns in the referendum, besides the other countries may not be prepared to wait till next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

I'd say 2009. Cowan will try and get some concession to delay and relay it to us, possibly citing local political issues or incorrect information in the public domain combined with low turnout..whatever... insert reason here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I think it will be at least a year with a possibility of a longer wait if the Irish people don't appear to be coming round. I think Cowan will find it difficult to get concessions so it will be largely the same treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

i would say they would run the refrendum in November. The goverment usually choose this time of the year as it clears the way ahead of the xmas holidays. If not it will be held along side the European and local elections next year. It will be futile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

i dont think there will be another one. i think all the parts will be broken up so that there doesn't have to be a referendum in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

If they put it up for vote again this year, it'll be smacked down and that will be Fianna Fail finished. There's enough people who are still píssed over Nice as is, shoving this back down our necks will only cause more embarrassment for Cowen and Co.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I believe if we don't have another one by next year stating that we will have to keep our commissioner(very unlikely) then we will lose him. I wish for Liberatas view on that.

Advertisement