Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

indicator noise

Options
  • 14-06-2008 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Mum's '04 Passat is making an indicator-sih clicking noise. In fact, I'm sure it's something to do with the indicators. The lights aren't coming on but the clicking seem to be at random/ on bumpy road.

Any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

before the random bit i would of thought it was a relay gone but i'm stumped with that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

When I say random, I mean it's not like a constant indicator tick-tock-tick-tock noise. I mean its more like tick...tock.tick.tock.tick....tock.....tick.tock...tick..........tocktic:D possibly related to surface bumps, ie a loose connection but no lights flash- it's just the noise on it's own.

Know what I mean?

Where would the relay be located- is it the relay that also decided the pulse or is that a seperate circuit ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Loose connection on one of the bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Had the same prob a few years ago (not VW). Could hear a relay clicking, sometimes slowly, sometimes fast. Turned out to be worn/burned out contacts inside the indicator stalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

the relays are usually in the fuse box near the battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

In VW and co. cars I think the relay is built into the Hazard warning light switch.
    That's the case with my Seat Leon which has the same problem.
    The garage thought it was the relay, but changing it didn't help, so it still clicks randomly.
    Suspected loose connection or short somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

new relays... simple enough job... best to do it on a quiet weekend or whatever.... nothing major thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

dloob wrote: »
    In VW and co. cars I think the relay is built into the Hazard warning light switch.

Spot on. And it's a common item to fail. I've replaced hundreds of these. But, as suggested earlier, do check all the bulb connections first. If it is the hazard switch/relay it will eventually stop working completely.

Advertisement