Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should video refs be brought into soccer

• 14-06-2008 10:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭

Or is there another option?

Should video refs be brought into soccer? 59 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    no leave it as it is
    79% 47 votes
    No but something else should be done
    20% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

for what?

offsides, goals, red cards, diving?

you need to clarify for what aspect.

i think there should be goal line technology, thats all, to see whether a ball has crossed the line or not.

thats it, leave everything else as it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

for any tough decisions the ref is not sure about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

No video refs. It would slow down the game too much imo.

not if they used it smartly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

And how would that be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

hehe, does anyone else get an image of Max Headroom when they think of "video Ref's"?

Or am i just still a bit tipsy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Bring it in. Do it just like they do in rugby. It isn't overused there.

SantryRed wrote: »
    And how would that be?

Maybe if they stoped the clock like in rugby. That could also stop alot of time-wasting.

ajeffares wrote: »
    Maybe if they stoped the clock like in rugby. That could also stop alot of time-wasting.

So you want to stop the clock for all major decisions in a game? Therefore yellow cards, red cards, penalties and did the ball cross the line.

Football is a fast paced game and things happen in split seconds. To bring in video referees would ruin football as we know it and it wouldn't be able to be brought in all over the world due to lack of infrastructure. Only the top leagues in the world would be able to bring it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

but that would do the opposite, slowing it down even more....

• Advertisement

So you want to stop the clock for all major decisions in a game? Therefore yellow cards, red cards, penalties and did the ball cross the line.

Not every time just if the ref is unsure
    If things continue the way they are we are going the game will just keep being as frustrating as it is and by the time I am 30 I will have no hair left.;)

Just look at how well video refs work in other sports.
    Players would have to stop diving because the ref will just go upstairs and find it was a dive.

As for stoping the clock that would be mainly in or around the box

Not every time just if the ref is unsure
    If things continue the way they are we are going the game will just keep being as frustrating as it is and by the time I am 30 I will have no hair left.;)

Just look at how well video refs work in other sports.
    Players would have to stop diving because the ref will just go upstairs and find it was a dive.

As for stoping the clock that would be mainly in or around the box

So you want the game stopped at its most exciting bits?

I would like more accuracy but anyway you look at it, once it goas past goalline technology, it will slow it down. Making it so its only when the ref is unsure, what if he's sure, but wrong? Diving could be gotten rid of just as easily by retrospective action with a big penalty, like a 3 game ban instead of 1 yellow card.

Seriously? Even when you go and look at something on a replay such as a dive, it can still lead to a debate sometimes about whether or not it was a foul. It's a referees interpretation sometimes and you can't have conflicting views from two different people. Which one would have the power?

It would destroy the game. The likes of Arsenal and Man United who play high tempo football would lose out as well IMO.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    So you want the game stopped at its most exciting bits?

No the game stopped after its most exciting bits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I would be in favour of it, works well in rugby, doesn't interrupt the flow too much but most importantly it allows for correct and fair decisions.

Was it Italy again last night that had a perfectly good goal disallowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

No to video refs, but yes to some form of technology for goal-line incidents. It's not as if there is one every game, so I don't think it would be too intrusive.

Was it the Hawk-Eye system that had a chip in the ball that let the ref know if the ball crossed the line? What happened with the reviews of that system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

no, should not be brought in at all, maybe only hawk eye or similar for goal line decisions only

bigkev49 wrote: »

Exactly

I would be in favour of it, works well in rugby, doesn't interrupt the flow too much but most importantly it allows for correct and fair decisions.

But he wants to use it for everything, not only goals. If it was for goals, maybe, just maybe. But not stopping it all the time. Would absolutely destroy football.

No the game stopped after its most exciting bits

give me a scenario here so i know what your suggesting. Only when the ball is out of play? For instance, attacking player has the ball, defender slides in, ball falls to another defender. The attacker had flown through the air like a dolphin. So theres 3 potential outcomes - free to attacker, free for diving, play goes on. Currently, the ref makes the call, the game continues either with a free or continued posession to the defender. So what do you want to happen? If the video ref is consulted instead, stopping to view the incident, and it turns out the tackle was fair, the defenders lose the advantage of the counter attack.

Thats a 'ref unsure' situation which uses the technology and still screws over one team.

Rugby is by its nature a stop start game by its nature. And isn't video ref majoritively used to judge tries anyway?

• Advertisement

But in rugby it's not used for absolutely everything, only when the ref or touch judges can't make the correct decision based on what they have seen. It's not as if he goes to the TMO for every little thing, might only be used 3-4 times in a game. I think finding the correct decision trumps a little stoppage every time.

Anyway look at the amount of stoppages already incurred in an average game of football to accomodate the amatuer dramatics display.

No to video ref, yes to some form of goal line technology.

But in rugby it's not used for absolutely everything, only when the ref or touch judges can't make the correct decision based on what they have seen. It's not as if he goes to the TMO for every little thing, might only be used 3-4 times in a game. I think finding the correct decision trumps a little stoppage every time.

Anyway look at the amount of stoppages already incurred in an average game of football to accomodate the amatuer dramatics display.

and we'd be adding yet more stoppages on top of that. By the way the OP is suggesting, this wouldn't only be used in natural stoppages, and could quite often screw one team over even still ,just swapping one form of lost opertunity for another.

Goal line technology - yes. Intrusive into play - no.

Might be some call for use like the tennis, in that each team gets say 2 calls per game. If they think the ref is wrong, they ask for a call, the ref looks and if the player was right, they still have 2 calls. If the player is wrong, they're down to one call. Minimises the intrusivness to correct calls.

Even still though should only be put on trial basis at some youth tournement or something to see if it works in practise.

Abortions for some, tiny American flags for others. :D

I think goal-line tech probably is the first step but ultimately I would like to see some form of TMO brought in to cut out injustices like Italy suffered last night.

It can be absoulutely soul-destroying for a team to be screwed over like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

But he wants to use it for everything, not only goals. If it was for goals, maybe, just maybe. But not stopping it all the time. Would absolutely destroy football.

Sorry, but football is destroyed anyway by decisions against Italy in their two games, for example. Video reviewing doesn't have to be intrusive, most decisions are right anyway, and play need only be stopped after the review if necessary.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Sorry, but football is destroyed anyway by decisions against Italy in their two games, for example. Video reviewing doesn't have to be intrusive, most decisions are right anyway, and play need only be stopped after the review if necessary.

By goal line technology I also mean that, wasn't clear enough. Aslong as it's only for goals and the game is stopped naturally, I'm ok with that. NOt stopped for looking if it's a penalty or if it's a red card, that's just daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'm not in favour of it but I do think it would be very very entertaining if each manager got 1 challenge flag, like American Football, so once per match anytime they believe the ref is making a mistake, they can put their money where their mouth is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well when the ref is giving out yellows, reds and peno's the play is stopped anyway, so the only effect stopping the clock would have is that the game would go on longer because the time spent by players moaning and appealing would be added on at the end. How would that slow the game?

Goal line technology ftw. Also retrospective cardss (or instant checking by the 4th/5th official) for dives. It could have been checked 3 or 4 times in the time it takes to stop players giving out and when the free or peno is actually lined up to be taken.

That's ruining the sport then though. Making it more of an entertainment and show than being there to support your team and watch the sport don't you think?

EDIT: that's aimed at bubs and not you Ste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

That's ruining the sport then though. Making it more of an entertainment and show than being there to support your team and watch the sport don't you think?

What's wrong with more entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I'm not in favour of it but I do think it would be very very entertaining if each manager got 1 challenge flag, like American Football, so once per match anytime they believe the ref is making a mistake, they can put their money where their mouth is

I have always thought this as well. In most games there is only one or two big big incidents, so this would accommodate most.

All this lark about the game being slowed down is bollox. In every other sport where such technology is used, it happens efficiently, effectively, and quickly. Soccer is slowed down and ruined alot more by diving, stalling free kicks, players not allowed come back on until ref says so, ref being surrounded by players, players taking their sweet ass time to leave once they are substituted (ie Nani) etc. etc.

If the above problems were sorted out and dealt with properly, there would be plenty of freed up time to allow each manager have one challenge per game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

I voted yes but mainly as there is no distinction in the poll as to goal line tech

I do think that the 4th official should be utilized more though and if during the general running of the game (or indeed stoppage) he can bring something meaningful to the decision, even if that is from a monitor on the sideline, he should do so. He could have the beeper that the assistants have to alert the ref that he has something to contribute and do so if relevant during the stoppage.

Hopefully if the FA actually go through with their claim to stop the referee / player attacks that currently take place on most decisions then stoppages should be more streamlined but even so, there could well be an opportunity for the 4th official to contribute without any significant delay (it seemed to work okay for the Zidane sending off in the WC final anyway, and was actually the correct decision)

Currently the 4th official only seems to babysit the bench's and be ready for an injury to any of the other officials which seems a total waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

players taking their sweet ass time to leave once they are substituted (ie Nani) etc. etc.

I hate this also. The FA should just say it will be 30 seconds for a reasonable sub but if the lad wants to stroll off it will be a 60 second addition at the end (as the losing team at the time rarely showboat like this)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

event wrote: »
    for what?

i think there should be goal line technology, thats all, to see whether a ball has crossed the line or not.

Totally agree with this. Goal line technology and leave the rest as is, would slow the game down too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Totally agree with this. Goal line technology and leave the rest as is, would slow the game down too much.

So, you don't think there'd be a corrective benefit in say, the two big decisions against Italy in the last week?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

For goals and penalties.

Have to say though, the Rugby situation has gone out of control. The refs are no longer making decisions. Even some stone-wall tries are being checked which really does kill the mood.

Rugby has in no way been ruined by video refs.
    That is a rediculous statement. Rugby refs are respected like gods unlike in soccer where a ref is often told to f!ck off. The excitement builds up when waiting for the video refs decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Would particularly like to see it brought in for penalties and bookings. Would love nothing more to see one of those pricks that pretend to be hit in the face to be caught out every time.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    What's wrong with more entertainment.

Is football not all about the team your supporting winning and losing? Who cares about entertainment if your team wins 1nil playing awful football.

Is football not all about the team your supporting winning and losing? Who cares about entertainment if your team wins 1nil playing awful football.

I feel sorry for you if thats all you care about (maybe your swiss)
    I would not support my team liverpool if I didn't find their matches entertaining! Instead I'd watch something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yes - team should get two 'calls' per game, for goal issues - be it for a goal disallowed for offside or for contention on whether the ball crossed the line. That is how i would go.

I feel sorry for you if thats all you care about (maybe your swiss)
    I would not support my team liverpool if I didn't find their matches entertaining! Instead I'd watch something else.

If United played crap football, i'd be annoyed but I'd still watch them. If you only watch when you are being entertained you are as much a fan of liverpool as I am of movies.

Tauren wrote: »
    Yes - team should get two 'calls' per game, for goal issues - be it for a goal disallowed for offside or for contention on whether the ball crossed the line. That is how i would go.

Do you mean challenges like in tennis?

If United played crap football, i'd be annoyed but I'd still watch them. If you only watch when you are being entertained you are as much a fan of liverpool as I am of movies.

I'm talking consistantly fr maybe a year or so

Do you mean challenges like in tennis?

Something like that, yeah, but only for goal issues. It would also mean defenders keep playing rather than wait (and hope) for the linesman's flag - as if if the flag is raised there is a chance the player is not offside and the goal could be given anyway.

I dunno - with the amount of money at stake in football, an incorrect call could cost a club millions and the knock on caused by that loss; i think steps should be taken to avoid situations where clubs are massively punished by incorrect calls. However, I would hate to see the game stopped every couple of minutes while we go to the video ref, so some limit on the calls that can be made would be needed too. imo.

I'm talking consistantly fr maybe a year or so

shouldn't you have stopped supporting them by now so?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

event wrote: »
    for what?

Yeah i agree with you on that. Don't want to be tampering too much but i think this should be definately done. After all it's the goals that decide games. If a ball goes past that white line it should be given full stop. To this day i still laugh thinking about that Spurs v Manchester United game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

yea cause Utd were playing beautiful stuff against Newcastle last weekend ;):P

Something like that, yeah, but only for goal issues. It would also mean defenders keep playing rather than wait (and hope) for the linesman's flag - as if if the flag is raised there is a chance the player is not offside and the goal could be given anyway.

I dunno - with the amount of money at stake in football, an incorrect call could cost a club millions and the knock on caused by that loss; i think steps should be taken to avoid situations where clubs are massively punished by incorrect calls. However, I would hate to see the game stopped every couple of minutes while we go to the video ref, so some limit on the calls that can be made would be needed too. imo.

I like that idea
    shouldn't you have stopped supporting them by now so?:D

Ha ha believe it or not I'm a loyal supporter Since 7 years old:)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    yea cause Utd were playing beautiful stuff against Newcastle last weekend ;):P

I know - i almost stopped supporting them :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement