Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Custom Script Reg Plates

Options
  • 14-06-2008 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭

I have a friend who's looking to get "script" reg plates.

He's bought a car with a reg that can be moulded into a word (imagine if you had an Audi A6 and the reg was 08-D-46. He'd want to change it so it looks like 08-D-A6).

Anyone know where to send him that will do that kind of thing in the Dublin area?

Cheers,

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oh, tacky.

Try these guys http://www.numberplates.ie/examples.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Thanks very, very much for that Biko. It's not doing what he needs done, but it's absolutely perfect for another thing I'm working on.

Genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You realise these things are illegal?

I understood from a different thread that there was no defined font for reg plates. I presumed that if it's done in a subtle manner - looking the way he wants it, but legible by gatso - that it wouldn't be an issue.

I also told him that having the plates would make him more likely to get pulled over by the Gardai and that he'd have to have a legit plate for NCT purposes etc.

Can anyone clarify - Can it be done? Is it illegal? Where can he get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

AudiChris wrote: »
    Thanks very, very much for that Biko. It's not doing what he needs done, but it's absolutely perfect for another thing I'm working on.

Genius!
    No probs, just click my post_thanks.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

^^^ thanks whore:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭traco

example8.gif

Just to let you know that I was pulled by a bike cop three years ago in a 01 520 that I had just bought. They were onit when I bought it. It had plates like the one above except silver instead of the blue to match the car.

Told me if he saw me again with them on it he'd fine me €1270 euro for each plate. Did some checking and they can. Its an old £1,000.00 fine and there is legislation as to the size, layout, and text that can be on the plate.

I'll see if I can find it

Found it, not sue if there have been any changes since - Link to Satutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Anyone know where to send him that will do that kind of thing in the Dublin area?

Cheers,

Chris

Portrane :D

On a serious note, try these lads... www.fancyplates.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The law outlines the format, dimensions and technical specifications that must be displayed on registered vehicles in Ireland.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/vehicle-standards/vehicle_registration_numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

dont be a n0b and get normal plates like everyone else...

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    No probs, just click my post_thanks.gif

Done! :D

traco wrote: »
    example8.gif

Just to let you know that I was pulled by a bike cop three years ago in a 01 520 that I had just bought. They were onit when I bought it. It had plates like the one above except silver instead of the blue to match the car.

Told me if he saw me again with them on it he'd fine me €1270 euro for each plate. Did some checking and they can. Its an old £1,000.00 fine and there is legislation as to the size, layout, and text that can be on the plate.

I'll see if I can find it

Found it, not sue if there have been any changes since - Link to Satutes

I don't see anything about the font (if that's the right term), only the width of the letters, spacing etc. etc.
    Maybe the issue with yours was the lack of the IRL & EU flag, it's missing the dashes too.

Gives me an idea though - probably the best place to start is by asking a Garda about what's allowed and what's not...
    Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Portrane :D

I don't getcha...
    snubbleste wrote: »
    The law outlines the format, dimensions and technical specifications that must be displayed on registered vehicles in Ireland.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/vehicle-standards/vehicle_registration_numbers

Again, nothing about fonts though... frustrating.
    dont be a n0b and get normal plates like everyone else...

Not a helpful contribution. Don't bother next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/carplate.htm

While the font may be open to interpretation the characters have to be a certain uniform height and width which italic fonts never are (too thin). Spacing must be in order too. Also exact colours must be used for each section and one colour only, not dressed in arty-farty strokes or graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I don't see anything about the font (if that's the right term), only the width of the letters, spacing etc. etc.

Here's the exact wording of the regulations from the statute book, just for clarity's sake:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1992/en/si/0318.html
    FIRST SCHEDULE > Form of Identification Marks

14. The identification mark shall appear in black characters and each letter or figure shall have a height of 70 millimetres and a stroke width of 10 millimetres. The total width of the space taken by each letter or figure (other than the letter "I" or the number "1") shall be 36 millimetres. The distances between adjoining letters and adjoining figures shall be uniform and shall be not less than 8 millimetres.

if you look at the M in the font in traco's picture, and you'll see that it has 2 different stroke widths - so since they both can't be 10 mm, this is why it's against the regulations. Any script font would also be prohibited by this regulation, as by their nature they have variable strokes.

Also, in that example, the M and the N take up different widths - the regulations say that all characters except the letter "I" (which isn't used in any current county code) or the number "1" should be the same width.

The requirement of a stroke width of 10 millimetres rules out anything but a "sans-serif" font (FYI: Arial & Verdana are examples of sans serif, Times New Roman is an example of a serif font), as serif fonts have variable stroke widths.

The requirement that all characters except "1" should be the same width, means that the font must be a "monospaced" font.

So while there is no requirement for a particular font, the rules basically mean that the font must be sans-serif, monospaced - which restricts your choice massively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

I have a friend who's looking to get "script" reg plates.

He's bought a car with a reg that can be moulded into a word (imagine if you had an Audi A6 and the reg was 08-D-46. He'd want to change it so it looks like 08-D-A6).

Cheers,

Chris

they are tacky, and usually you would expect to see them on a tarted up starlet, corolla or other muppet motor..:D

however they are illegal, and you can be fined, also the person who sold them to you ( made them) can also be done!!

why bother.

Jesus, why do people feel the need to tell me how tacky they think custom script reg plates are?

I didn't ask were they cool or would you use them, I asked how I would help a friend source them and asked for opinion on whether they are illegal...

They are not for my car, I don't own a car. I'm helping a friend who thinks this will look cool.

P.S. Thanks to those who have helped so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

As long as the character height/width specs, stroke width, and gap are adhered to, and the characters are legible and not easily confused with any other character, I cannot see how there would be any illegality. Also, there is a small deviation allowed in the specs, depending on which spec is involved. afair, a stroke width of 9mm would be OK; some gaps and the hyphen length could also be reduced by 1mm and still be legal. As I said in another thread, if doing this, it would be a good idea to carry a copy of the relevant SI.

edit:spelling

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭fallon54

Although not directly related saw an Aston Martin DB9 in citywest the other day, number plate was 08 D 89 but had been cleverly done to look like 08 D B9. Very cool.

Why someone would do it to an Audi I don't understand but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

surely lexus are now out of it. The cheapest GS after July is 75000 euro. Thats 30,000 more than an e class.

I think Mercedes are taking a hit to avoid losing market share. Correct me if I am wrong but Merce drivers are generally loyal to the brand, however with the price and efficiency of the BMW I'd say alot were considering moving to a BMW after July. Mercedes main worry would that once they lost the customer to BMW they would then remain loyal to BMW for life kind of thing.

Both Audi and Mercedes really need to quick up the launch of their new engine ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Wrong thread.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement