Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Grrrr

Options
  • 14-06-2008 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

There is one kid that lives across the road that is slowly taking all the paint off my car.

This morning yet another scratch made with his bike to accompany the others that he has put on the car using a hurl and sea shell among other things. These aren't little scratches by any means. This guy is a horrible little fecker as well.

How do I stop him coming anywhere near our house!!!!

Do I speak to his parents or will I have a word with him and tell him he's banned form our from garden.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

speak to his parents and make them pay for the repairs to your paint. You can gaurentee he'll be nowhere near your car again any time soon.

If parents act up go to gaurds about the damage to your car (inform parents of this also). Similiar happened in my estate two weeks and thats exactly what the guy done.

His car is all shiny with new paint now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

similar situtation, but parents said prove it was their kid... was going to get a video camera mounted in upstairs window but we were moving to another house so didn't bother. Anyway the car was a wreck in the first place, but it still pissed me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I sympathise greatly but I would be very careful when it comes to video cameras and kids, things like that can be turned around so easily in this PC world we live in.

If the parents are approachable go down that route, should put an end to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

ha,
    You think that is bad.
    I live outside a rugby pitch and we get Enveloped in clouds of dirt and grit which some people find it very amusing to write their names on the dust on your car. :mad:

On top of that. When rugby is over these Numbskulls think nothing of taking the game to trhe streets and boot the ball of peoples cars and skid the ball across a bonnet or whatever.. You think reporting this to the guards will sort it.. Not on your life.. They love the Rugby..No win No win situation :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You could also put up one of those dummy cctv units - it'll deter burglars as well.

I have the same problem with kids playing football on the road and have shouted at them a few times about it.:mad:
    I'm biding my time for the ball to land in the garden when I'm there - it'll be burst and thrown back at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

stevec wrote: »
    You could also put up one of those dummy cctv units - it'll deter burglars as well.

I have the same problem with kids playing football on the road and have shouted at them a few times about it.:mad:
    I'm biding my time for the ball to land in the garden when I'm there - it'll be burst and thrown back at them.

NO
    Hand it into the Gaurds and tell them you have warned the owners previously and told trhem they could collect it from them if they want it back :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

vectra wrote: »
    NO
    Hand it into the Gaurds and tell them you have warned the owners previously and told trhem they could collect it from them if they want it back :cool:
    :D

Actually, my plan was to attract the attention of the kids' parents when they went crying home.
    At that point, I'll tell them I'll gladly pay for a new ball if they pay for the damage it caused to my paintwork thanks.

Whatever way grit sticks to footballs, they leave nasty marks that need a lot of work to get rid of.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I thought you had to get permission from the kids parents if you want to videotape them?!

I don't see a problem in having a video camera / security camera that covers my property, I know where you are coming from as I have 2 young children, but if the camera covers your property fair game.

If you are on a beach or park videoing kiddies you deserve the beating you are going to get.

skibum wrote: »
    I don't see a problem in having a video camera / security camera that covers my property, I know where you are coming from as I have 2 young children, but if the camera covers your property fair game.

If you are on a beach or park videoing kiddies you deserve the beating you are going to get.

Getting a video camera to cover the property might be a little expensive just to stop a little 5h1t damaging your car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I'd go the video route, with the camera covertly placed initially to get the little barstewards redhanded; if it's only covering your property, you SHOULD have nothing to fear from anyone shouting foul about their kids being captured on video. It is possible that you have to have a sign visible somewhere announcing that you use CCTV if you wish to use it as evidence (I'm pretty sure that that's the rule for shops, not sure about home), so put a small sign somewhere at the front of the house, and make sure you photograph it to show it's there!!!

land9 wrote: »
    Getting a video camera to cover the property might be a little expensive just to stop a little 5h1t damaging your car!

Most homes have camcorders / cameras or could borrow from family / mates, stick it in the window press record, cheap as chips ;)

Most homes have camcorders / cameras or could borrow from family / mates, stick it in the window press record, cheap as chips ;)

I thought he was on about getting a dedicated camera!
    land9 wrote: »
    I thought you had to get permission from the kids parents if you want to videotape them?!

Which brings me back to this - the op would want to talk to the kids parents first and if that brings no results try the camera, but say it outright to the parents. If anything, it should act as a deterrent if the op is prepared to bring the matter further with evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

I've had similar problems with local kids, when I spoke to the kids directly quote "Tell your parents I want to speak to them", the father turned up and the first thing he asked me was "Did you hit my son" anyway had a good old conversation with him once we got over that bit, and I thought we were sorted. Ten minutes later the mother turns up on my door shouting at me that I had no right to speak to her son and that he was very upset, this after the ball had hit the glass panel at the side of my hall door with a right bang.

Anyway thier son and his mates continued to play ball outside my house for a while after this, despite there being a big green just beside us.

After the next incident and more words with the not so nice mother I told her I would put up a camera and show her just what a little angle her son is, that put a stop to it for awhile.

Until recently, when one evening we, were sitting in the garden enjoying the good weather when the son and his mates (all now 16 or 17 years old) started kicking ball from their house up towards mine, anyway ball lands into the garden and hits the side of my brand new car, when i told the lads to play ball on the green all I got was abuse.

The problem is these kids have no respect and they have learned this from their useless parents who couldn't give a sh!t for anyone eles or their property.

Rant over.

white_p wrote: »
    The Problem Is These Kids Have No Respect And They Have Learned This From Their Useless Parents Who Couldn't Give A Sh!t For Anyone Eles Or Their Property.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

WHITE_P wrote: »
    The problem is these kids have no respect and they have learned this from their useless parents who couldn't give a sh!t for anyone eles or their property.

+1

Spoke to the kid and explained that I have had enough of them scratching the car and they are now banned from my front garden. I have only had to remind them once. If they complain to the parents then I'll be glad to have a chat with them.
    I don't think I would have any luck getting them to repair it as I don't have any proof as nobody else saw him do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Very annoying... especially balls hitting the car.
    One year some idiot hit my car with a boomerang of all things, massive dent in the bonnet. a few people saw him and Mam and Dad had to pay to get it fixed... I'd say he got a few slaps for that... little <SNIP>

When a Ball lands in my garden it then belongs to me, I don't give them back. and every kid on my street knows not to enter my garden.

I'm that mean <SNIP> who keeps the balls :cool:

Muhahaha!

I would hope that legally you are entitled to use a CCTV system / camcorder to protect your own property, and as long as the camera(s) are setup to cover your own boundaries no one could take exception / legal action against you.

As for being expensive these systems aren't mad money.

http://www.cctvdirect.co.uk/CCTV+Kits/Domestic+CCTV+Kits/Bronze+Enforcer+-+4+X+IR+Camera+Pro+CCTV+Kit.html
    http://self-secure.co.uk/acatalog/Home_DIY_CCTV_systems.html?gclid=CPLwjKzQpZMCFQZhMAod31k1nw
    http://www.cctvdirect.net/p446488/New-Complete-4-Night-Vision-Real-Time-DVR-System.html?image_id=212460

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

+ 1

After my experience, I wouldn't even bother wasting money on a camera. And be very careful if you do intend taking any action, such as taking in the ball.

There was a group of kids (aged about 12-15) near me, who were playing football on the road, walloping it off cars, kicking it against windows, etc.

The football hit my own car, which was parked in the driveway, a couple of times. This went on for a few weeks. I gave the kids a number of warnings not to play ball near the cars or at least not hit my new car, but do you think they listened?

I saw the ball being kicked into the garden one day and it hit the roof of my car and then landed in my garden. I decided to take the ball in, and if they wanted it back they could ask their parents to talk to me. About 20 mins later, the aul lad wandered up, frothing at the mouth, alleging I had assaulted his son, and that he was going to get the Guards on me.

Anyway, the guards called, saying that they were following up claims of assault and theft, which is a complete farce if you ask me. The kid was nowhere near me, he wasn't even in the garden when I took the ball in so how could I have possibly assaulted him? The Garda obviously believed my stroy as it was quite clear that the evidence supported it, but this is what you're up against- these scumbags will fabricate lies of assault if you try to stand up to them.

Also, be warned- if you take in the football, the Guards will view this as theft.

The law is a complete farce.

Also, be warned- if you take in the football, the Guards will view this as theft.

:eek:

And how did they view the damage said football did to your car?

• Advertisement

stevec wrote: »
    :eek:

And how did they view the damage said football did to your car?

They didn't- they weren't interested at all.

It didnt go any further, but they advised me not to take in the football again, as it would be viewed as theft and I would be charged accordingly.

Also, I certianly would have been in trouble if I put a knife through the football- the irony being that in that instance the Guards would have charged me with criminal damage:eek:. Luckily for me, I didn't burst the football and gave it back to the father when he called to me.

As it turned out, the Guards asked the kids' parents not to let their children kick football against certain cars. (I emphasise the word asked, because there was no mention of a caution, or an apology, and no mention of how dangerous it is to play ball on the road). This is the part that really annoys me because these children are still playing football everyday, still kicking it off other neighbours' cars though thankfully they've moved about 100m away from my house. I should also point out that it's not a cul-de-sac/quiet area- they play football on an estate road which is fairly busy most of the time, so it's possible that one of them could be knocked down. There's a green area, with plenty of football pitches, which is only a 2 monute walk away- I don't understand why the Guards didn't order the kids to play ball down there. It seems to me that the Guards are almost apologetic to the offending children.

As it turned out, the Guards asked the kids' parents not to let their children kick football against certain cars. (I emphasise the word asked, because there was no mention of a caution, or an apology, and no mention of how dangerous it is to play ball on the road). This is the part that really annoys me because these children are still playing football everyday, still kicking it off other neighbours' cars though thankfully they've moved about 100m away from my house. I should also point out that it's not a cul-de-sac/quiet area- they play football on an estate road which is fairly busy most of the time, so it's possible that one of them could be knocked down. There's a green area, with plenty of football pitches, which is only a 2 monute walk away- I don't understand why the Guards didn't order the kids to play ball down there. It seems to me that the Guards are almost apologetic to the offending children.

I would write to the local Superintendants office requesting clarification on the gardai's position, and highlight my concerns about the safety aspect of these kids playing on a busy road.

The guards seem to have a real softly softly stance when it comes to dealing with these sort of issue's. When what is needed is to put the fear of God into these little pratt's and their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Another take on that: let them prove it's their ball - produce the receipt........by which time of course you'll have bought the same one downtown and got a receipt for yours..........;)

Two can play that game (sic).

++1 on the video, btw. At the end of the day, you will be filming 'crime in the commission'.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I would write to the local Superintendants office requesting clarification on the gardai's position, and highlight my concerns about the safety aspect of these kids playing on a busy road.

The guards seem to have a real softly softly stance when it comes to dealing with these sort of issue's. When what is needed is to put the fear of God into these little pratt's and their parents.

I thought about that, but I'm not sure if they'd even respond, nevermind taking any sort of meaningful action. It really makes a joke of the whole road safety campaign.

Also, chances are if I wrote to the Guards, these kids would make it their business to return outside my garden and start taking potshots at my car again. I blame the parents tbh.

Advertisement