Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What could be affecting my line stats?

Options
  • 14-06-2008 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

My line wouldn't sync (ballincollig exchange) since last week and I had Ericom out. The engineer put in a new socket but came to the conclusion that it was a problem at the exchange since there were several other people in the area with the same problem.

My line has now synced but at 1440 kbps instead of 3072 kbps and my stats have gone from attenuation 40 to 65 and noise maragin from 9 to 6.

What in the exchange could be causing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Probably a bad connection somewhere, you will need to get them back, tell them you have noise on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

could be a number of tings m8!!!line noise can be caused by electrical interference from street lights or immersion heaters. Could you copy and paste your dsl stats for me to see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

--SmItHy-- wrote: »
    could be a number of tings m8!!!line noise can be caused by electrical interference from street lights or immersion heaters. Could you copy and paste your dsl stats for me to see?

Upstream Speed: 384 kbps
    Downstream Speed: 1440 kbps

Downstream noise margin:
    noise margin downstream: 6 db
    output power upstream: 10 db
    attenuation downstream: 63 db

Upstream noise margin:
    noise margin upstream: 12 db
    output power downstream: 19 db
    attenuation upstream: 31 db

Hope that helps!

admol wrote: »
    Downstream Speed: 1440 kbps

Downstream noise margin:
    noise margin downstream: 6 db
    output power upstream: 10 db
    attenuation downstream: 63 db

Upstream noise margin:
    noise margin upstream: 12 db
    output power downstream: 19 db
    attenuation upstream: 31 db

Hope that helps!
    ok well ur a good bit away from your exchange according to your line attenuation and if your running a 3mb line on a phoneline that far you will have problems such as this!your line is probably just incapable of 3mb speeds if you downgrade to 2mb it would probably be the same speed but cheaper this is what i suggest

have any new houses gone up in your area recently??they might have just got connected to their phonelines therefore weakning the signal. A number of reasons may cause this problem.is the ur router connected to the main phoneline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

ok well ur a good bit away from your exchange according to your line attenuation and if your running a 3mb line on a phoneline that far you will have problems such as this!your line is probably just incapable of 3mb speeds if you downgrade to 2mb it would probably be the same speed but cheaper this is what i suggest

Wouldn't jump to conclusions that quickly.

OP, How far are you from the exchange and what was your connection speed like before your recent problems?

I've had a 3mb line for a few years so i know my line is well capable of it. I live in a built up area so i can't me more than a mile or so from the exchange. The egineer did fix the socket in the wall so i'd expect my stats to get better once they hopefully do fix it on Monday.

From what i remember my stats were

Downstream Speed: 3072kbps

Downstream noise margin:
    noise margin downstream: 9 db
    attenuation downstream: 40 db

probably just something small affecting your line so thats raising your attenuation and signal margins. For some reason many broadband customers get problems like this in ireland. god i wish we were like sweden(40gb connection:eek:)imagine that!!.....but wer stuck here with neolithic broadband!!....well all the best and i hope your problem gets fixed and u dont have to move to sweden:D

probably just something small affecting your line so thats raising your attenuation and signal margins. For some reason many broadband customers get problems like this in ireland. god i wish we were like sweden(40gb connection:eek:)imagine that!!.....but wer stuck here with neolithic broadband!!....well all the best and i hope your problem gets fixed and u dont have to move to sweden:D
    You're misinformed, no country has 40gb broadband.

You're misinformed, no country has 40gb broadband.
    look it up im just tellin you what i saw!!two guys in sweden have set up a server capable off uploading speeds of 40gb!!

• Advertisement

snapvoip.blogspot.com/2007/07/worlds-fastest-broadband-connection.html thers a link for the article on the 40gb broadband

snapvoip.blogspot.com/2007/07/worlds-fastest-broadband-connection.html thers a link for the article on the 40gb broadband
    A proof of concept demo is very different than a broadband product.

you said that no country has 40gb broadband but this lady is recieving 40gb per second broadband and is paying the company for it!!id call that a broadband product but its just not widely available!!!

you said that no country has 40gb broadband but this lady is recieving 40gb per second broadband and is paying the company for it!!id call that a broadband product but its just not widely available!!!

That is not a broadband product only a proof of concept demo, you can't get it. Fact is its pretty much just a glorified point to point link. Its not comparable to what is generally considered broadband. If want to compare like for like you could get a 10gigabit connection from this company http://www.complete.ie

but according to these people, with the right phone lines and and funds this may become a reality for everyone in the future?

but according to these people, with the right phone lines and and funds this may become a reality for everyone in the future?

Won't be over phone lines in the conventional sense, normal copper pair will keep kicking for another few years but sooner or later fibre will become the norm and will make these speeds possible. As it is, there are companies providing massive speeds (even in Ireland) but the costs would be too much for anyone other than big businesses for proof of this you have only to look at the link in my previous post. It will be a good few years before speeds in the tens of gigabits would be in reach for regular internet users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Speeds of 100mbit/s + are possible over normal cable tv connections. They're widely available in France.

UPC should be able to offer pretty huge speed connections soon ish.

The engineer came today and my line is now syncing again. The stats are now as follows.

noise margin downstream: 16 db
    output power upstream: 2 db
    attenuation downstream: 14 db

The noise margin varies from 14 to 17. What does the high noise margin mean?

not too sure i think its just interference on the line not 100 per cent though. But if your line speeds are back up and stay like that then no worrys :D

The engineer came today and my line is now syncing again. The stats are now as follows.

noise margin downstream: 16 db
    output power upstream: 2 db
    attenuation downstream: 14 db

The noise margin varies from 14 to 17. What does the high noise margin mean?

High noise margin = good, The higher the noise margin the more stable your connection is. You have a nice low attenuation level and a nice noise margin, you have in fact a very good line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Jesus that's a stunning difference. Considering your line was at 40dB download attenuation before your problem developed, there must have been a minor fault on the line already.

High noise margin = good, The higher the noise margin the more stable your connection is. You have a nice low attenuation level and a nice noise margin, you have in fact a very good line.

I will hopefully see an improvement with the "June" Upgrades so. I'm not more than half a mile from the exchange so I was surprised how bad the stats were previously. A bit of a blessing in the sky so my line went down :)

I will hopefully see an improvement with the "June" Upgrades so. I'm not more than half a mile from the exchange so I was surprised how bad the stats were previously. A bit of a blessing in the sky so my line went down :)

You should have no problems getting what ever you want on that line.

Advertisement