Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We've voted NO - now lets tell Fianna Fail why

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

turgon wrote: »
    Totally agree. However, I was just using it as an example of how the democratic reforms dont go far enough. I suppose you might say its silly. But having no obligation, and considering the apparent gap between politicians and people, no obligation might turn into dont care.

As a mechanism though it's a good compromise between on one hand the genuine concerns of the electorate and on the other the potential for abuse by special interest groups. Recommendations can be taken in the context of whether or not they truly are a popular concern. The broader and more varied the signatures and the bigger geographic distribution of them the more seriously the issue should be taken.

I've no idea if the actual implementation would match this "ideal" but at least it's a step in the right direction. As with anything in an EU treaty, it'll be a compromise, taken in that context I thought it was a good idea, or at least a good first step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

nesf wrote: »
    a good first step.

Well the point I made in the letter, is that if this treaty was passed it would be some time until the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭ixtlan

turgon wrote: »
    Well the point I made in the letter, is that if this treaty was passed it would be some time until the next step.

That's a good point, but politicians are caught between groups saying clauses do not go far enough, citizens initative and charter of rights, and those that think they go too far, military clause and charter of rights (again).

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

carveone wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff! I love them! Why don't senior government officials lurk on boards.ie. Frankly, why aren't they required too! Yourself, sink, scofflaw would have been enough to secure a yes, I'm totally convinced of that. Hell I was convinced to vote yes within an hour of clicking the EU board.

They only time they listen to the people is when elections are coming up.

I have read lots of opinions and still vote no in the next round. Especially the Bad behaviour of our EU partners and Piss off why the treaty only list amendments of other treaties. They only gave us the Lisbon treaty not the others treaties they amended. A full document of the working of the EU and current court decisions/view in Luxembourg would be nice to go over. What are they truly hiding? They claim openness and transparency. I do not see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I've said before but i honestly the best way to deal with the militarisation issue is to have a referendum on neutrality.after that was dealt with we could then proceed one way or the other.
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I've said before but i honestly the best way to deal with the militarisation issue is to have a referendum on neutrality.after that was dealt with we could then proceed one way or the other.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Absolutely.

Advertisement