Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the EU now sideline us?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DishonestPikey

is_that_so wrote: »
    Denmark after their first Maastricht attempt may be a way that they will look at it - with opt-opts. I believe that they had also worked out a legal way round it, if the Danes had rejected it again.

The reasons for voting no were largely a) I don't understand the treaty therefore I'm voting no, b) I don't want to hand over any more power to the beauraucrats. That covers the large majority of no voters from what I gather. Therefore there is only one opt out, that is to opt out of the treaty as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The reasons for voting no were largely a) I don't understand the treaty therefore I'm voting no, b) I don't want to hand over any more power to the beauraucrats. That covers the large majority of no voters from what I gather. Therefore there is only one opt out, that is to opt out of the treaty as a whole.

I am talking about the politics of what Europe will do to find a solution to the result. As Scofflaw pointed out elsewhere we are now all No voters. The EU will look at options to fix this problem, Denmark and Maastricht offers a precedent which could also include a legal way out thus avoiding a new referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DishonestPikey

is_that_so wrote: »
    I am talking about the politics of what Europe will do to find a solution to the result. As Scofflaw pointed out elsewhere we are now all No voters. The EU will look at options to fix this problem, Denmark and Maastricht offers a precedent which could also include a legal way out thus avoiding a new referendum.

Well hopefully they can find a way around it. But isn't it the Irish constitution that calls for a referendum? Therefore this is an Irish problem which needs an Irish solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well hopefully they can find a way around it. But isn't it the Irish constitution that calls for a referendum?

Only for the elements of the Treaty that affect our constitution. Some parts don't.

Advertisement