Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TODAY IS THE DAY ANY TIPS ??

Options
  • 14-06-2008 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

ok guys i am gonna commence my 70km round trip today, Wicklow to Loughlinstown and back. my first time back on the saddle for a few years.

anybody got any useful hints or tips?
    will be much appreciated !!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

take it easy and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Bring plenty of snacks and eat regularly.
    Have a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

thanks folks,

i will let you know how i get on, should be funny

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Probably too late but if this is really your first time back in the saddle I'd say don't do it! Rather build up gradually with some shorter distances first. Good luck in any case and don't let it put you off if you feel like you are going to die, that is part of the experience and the point at which this happens will get further and further away the more practice you get. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

How did it go ... are you still alive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I've been meaning to do something like this ,the owl muscles wouldn't be up for it though. Fair play to ye ,either way.

hey guys
    didnt have time to do the full trip so i hit 20 km and not without a twist either, i will give you lot a laugh at my expense. i took off on the bike and for the first 20 mins of the cycle its all uphill, anyway off i go with excitment and first thing i notice is my new bike is in the lowest gear and i try change the gears, nothing happens so i fiddle some more, continuing cycling up the hill as i go, i am sure the bike is broke. now its been a few years since i have been on a bike, as i get to the top of the hill my legs like jelly and i am in flitters of pain, straight into a hill climb in the hardest gear possible after 3-4 tears off a bike...good idea !! i jump off and take a look, 15 mins later of head scratching 2 of my brain cells ignite and i get the notion that maybe the brake lever has something to do with the gear change so i try it and it works..... ha ha, anyway i continue on my trip with a new lease of life although very red faced and emmbarrassed. felt fine afterwards even if my pride took a beating, although my a.rse doesnt know what hit it ha, hope you enjoyed it i am still in stitches.

anyway 40km tomorrow
    onwards and upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 41 keeffe2001

I do hope your wearing cycle shorts (its makes a big difference)

nope i couldnt find them, so i battled on with normal shorts
    i am still crying like a baby ha

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Ha yes, the gear change on modern Shimano-equipped road bikes is the brake lever in one direction all right. Not obvious to people who haven't ridden one before, others have posted before you with exactly the same issue ("just got a new road bike and my gears are knackered!")

Good luck- and get shorts, makes a big difference.

• Advertisement

quite embarrassing but never the less i achieved my cycle and its as well i hadnt decided to do the full 70km because after the start i had i would have struggled, anyway tomorrow will be 40km and i will hit the 70km on thurday all going well, my legs felt fine so i know i can manage it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

My advice: Make sure you know how to change a puncture.

oh dont worry my brain although a little slow to work at times is more than capable of changing a puncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    quite embarrassing but never the less i achieved my cycle and its as well i hadnt decided to do the full 70km because after the start i had i would have struggled, anyway tomorrow will be 40km and i will hit the 70km on thurday all going well, my legs felt fine so i know i can manage it

Good work mate, one bit of advice... don't do too much too soon, which is what Blorg already said.
    I dunno what your experience from years ago is, so maybe you were fairly accomplished, but the general advice is only up your distance by 10% a week or there abouts.

thanks Raam,

my experience from before isnt all that much to be honest but i am a demon for training when i get going. I am going to push to 40 km and see how that feels although i do feel that will be manged easily enough, i only did 20km the weekend as i was pressed for time otherwise i would have done more. it was 20 km or nothing. thanks again for the good advice, much appreciated

Advertisement