Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A two speed Europe

Options
  • 14-06-2008 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

If the rest of Europe ratifies the Lisbon Treaty and Ireland is the only one that does not ratify the treaty, what are the chances that the European Union will become a two-tier Europe?

I can see a solution to this being a 26 European Collective which agrees to all parts of the treaty and then Ireland which remains apart of Europe but does not to obey Europe on the areas of treaty that we cannot.
    Granted we will still lose our comissioner for every 5/15 years.

What do you think?
    Two-tier Europe, is it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

irish people disgust me. i am so proud of the dun laoighre constituency for the biggest yes vote though.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DishonestPikey

And how exactly will that work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

aliqueenb wrote: »
    irish people disgust me. i am so proud of the dun laoighre constituency for the biggest yes vote though.

If you are so enamoured of them, it is best to at least know the correct spelling
    Dun Laoghaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

And how exactly will that work?

we already have a two tier Europe in many respects, especially with regards to the EMU. it's entirely conceivable that the rest might find a way to plough on ahead with or without us. then again they might not. it's far too early to tell, but they certainly will explore it at some point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Possible scenario described here whereby a Conservative government in the UK might pull back to a more limited engagement with the EU.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/danger-vote-will-prompt-eu-to-tighten-reins-on-borrowing-1409570.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

aliqueenb wrote: »

You disgust Irish people.

Advertisement