Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Mitchell nearly loosing it on RTE

Options
  • 14-06-2008 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Near hysteria. Listening to the programme there is a chasm between the advocates which is getting wider. I can see both sides esp the YES-ers ratcheting up the rhetoric until nothing can be achived internally on this.

Mike.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

He sounded insane. Are we seriously supposed to trust the opinion of people like that, as the yes side wanted us to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, sinn fein are the only trustworthy force in Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Shall have to listen later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wouldn't go that far Sherifu! Unless you want to hear the whole programme.

The tone of Mitchell was very much "how dare you defeat the force of light and goodness!?" Its a pity Jim was the sensible one.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

mary lou,s waffling would even drive a waffler ( ask bertie ) like gay mitchell spare

ive a theory on sinn fein and the treaty , im begining to wonder were sinn fein hoping for a yes win , that way they still got much more attention ( which is important for next yrs domestic elections which is all sinn fein really care about) having been on the no side instead of just another party in favour while at the same time had the yes side won , no one has any hard questiosn for them
    now that the no,s have won , sinn fein are in the dock
    im serious , they are a cynical enough bunch to do this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Red Alert wrote: »
    He sounded insane. Are we seriously supposed to trust the opinion of people like that, as the yes side wanted us to?

Indeed as a yes voter I shudder sometimes. Gay Mitchell is usually pretty OK. It seems like a lot of the communications training these guys should have done has gone out the window.

Actually Peter Power of FF was not too bad. He's got the government message I think. Keep it calm... no kee-jerk reactions... see what happens... need time to think about it.

Unfortunately, the main political parties are probably going to implode on each other soon. Unless they can get some kind of Tallaght strategy on the EU. I doubt if this can be done though. I think we will be heading into all-out political warfare soon enough, which is going to be bad for Europe and us.

Ix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

ixtlan wrote: »
    Indeed as a yes voter I shudder sometimes. Gay Mitchell is usually pretty OK. It seems like a lot of the communications training these guys should have done has gone out the window.

Actually Peter Power of FF was not too bad. He's got the government message I think. Keep it calm... no kee-jerk reactions... see what happens... need time to think about it.

Unfortunately, the main political parties are probably going to implode on each other soon. Unless they can get some kind of Tallaght strategy on the EU. I doubt if this can be done though. I think we will be heading into all-out political warfare soon enough, which is going to be bad for Europe and us.

Ix

and good for who , yes , sinn fein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

The Yes side are.....

1) Treating us like idiots: We voted no because we didn't 'understand' what was before us apparently, not because we didn't like it.

2) refusing to admit Lisbon is dead. Cowen should have the bollocks to just follow the will of the people.

3) Undemocratic. If it was a Yes vote...that would be that. Why are they trying to undermine the people?

they won in a few leafy suburbs, and a few hometowns.
    They can NOT disrespect the will of the Irish people.
    Theres an air of Stalinism to it all, "vote the right way, or pay"

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I heard him yesterday, and was shocked by his words and his attitude.

Yes, of course there were people who didn't fully understand what the Treaty was about, but in my opinion, people in that category who went out to vote would be just as likely to vote 'Yes'. After all, if the three main political parties - if the Government AND the 'Opposition' agree that 'Yes' is the right way to vote, then they're probably, on balance, correct - yes?

I was going to vote 'Yes', precisely for the above reason, but then I changed my mind - WHEN I studied the matter in more depth.

So don't just dismiss the 'No' vote as the result of ignorance, Mr Mitchell!

And also - the Government and Fine Gael etc etc, urged us to go out and vote.

Makes a joke of their belief in democracy - clearly, if they could have gotten away without having a referendum, they would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I heard him yesterday, and was shocked by his words and his attitude.

Yes, of course there were people who didn't fully understand what the Treaty was about, but in my opinion, people in that category who went out to vote would be just as likely to vote 'Yes'. After all, if the three main political parties - if the Government AND the 'Opposition' agree that 'Yes' is the right way to vote, then they're probably, on balance, correct - yes?

I was going to vote 'Yes', precisely for the above reason, but then I changed my mind - WHEN I studied the matter in more depth.

So don't just dismiss the 'No' vote as the result of ignorance, Mr Mitchell!

And also - the Government and Fine Gael etc etc, urged us to go out and vote.

Makes a joke of their belief in democracy - clearly, if they could have gotten away without having a referendum, they would have.
    +1. Loads of my mates said to me "I haven't a clue what it's all about but I suppose I'll vote yes". I'd say there may have been even MORE 'yes' voters in this frame of mind than 'no' voters!

The treaty should be considered dead if the EU is as democratic as we're led to believe. The people have voted in just 3 referenda on further EU integration in the last 3 years and all three countries (which are traditionally very pro-Europe!!!) have voted NO! No means NO! What don't the powers that be not understand about this? Europeans are traditional people and we don't want further integration.

Put a simple question to all 486 million of us..."do you want the EU to integrate further?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

mike65 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far Sherifu! Unless you want to hear the whole programme.

The tone of Mitchell was very much "how dare you defeat the force of light and goodness!?" Its a pity Jim was the sensible one.

Mike.

Jim was a true gent and a better politician. Have always viewed his brother as being something of a hot head and upstart. But then, i don't usually vote FG ;)

Gay = Dublin Oympics.

Enough said.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sophievdp

What exactly did he say? I can probably guess, I'm just wondering if it's as idiotic as I think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazy chester

Anyone got a link to the interview to post up so we who missed it can have a listen?

murphaph wrote: »
    The treaty should be considered dead if the EU is as democratic as we're led to believe. The people have voted in just 3 referenda on further EU integration in the last 3 years and all three countries (which are traditionally very pro-Europe!!!) have voted NO! No means NO! What don't the powers that be not understand about this? Europeans are traditional people and we don't want further integration.

Put a simple question to all 486 million of us..."do you want the EU to integrate further?"

As Shakespeare would say, "there's the rub". If you put the question to the 486 million and they voted yes, would you accept Lisbon? They probably would approve but then we'd be back to concerns about the super-state and why should a few hundred million continential Europeans dictate policy to us. In fact more people voted in favour of the Constitution than against taking into account all the countries that passed it.

Likewise for the democratic deficit. Would people really be happy with a Europe-wide vote for the council president or the foreign affairs representative. Of course not. It would perhaps be more accurate to say that the people complaining about them not being elected would rather the roles did not exist at all. Which is fair enough too, but it confuses the debate when we complain about their unelectability, especially when they have no policy-making power. The day we do have an elected president is probably the day to really get worried about the super-state.

Ix.

Sophievdp wrote: »
    What exactly did he say? I can probably guess, I'm just wondering if it's as idiotic as I think it is.

Actually I can't remember. I would normally be on his side, but it was the whole tone that was wrong. Mary-Lou sounded like the person you wanted negotiating in Europe and Gay sounded like a fringe element.

ix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Where can i hear it?
    Was it on radio or tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Just heard him in passing from another room...

One of the things he said was that it was up to the 'No' side to come up with a policy as to what to do next. I thought that was ******* disgraceful because as an elected representative he and his cronies are the ones who should be taking the next steps and respecting the will of the people. If there is no Plan B there feckin' well should have been - a 'no' vote was always a strong possibility...
    mike65 wrote: »
    Gay = Dublin Oympics.
    Enough said.
    Mike.

Yep, my thoughts exactly, I was going to bring it up myself. Idiot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I think the media have done a spectacularly miserable job of this affair.
    It's not SF nor Libertas that Gay Mitchell and the elistist media really need to be talking to, rather it's the people of Ireland that voted no.
    All those no voters, are not voting for SF and Libertas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Heard the rant earlier

The thing that struck me was that I never heard SF mention abortion or euthanasia during the campaign the issues that SF raised as far as I ever heard from them were the loss of a commisioner the QMV and the Nuetrality/militarisation and tax

And it appears that the commsioner aspect they may be pushing at an open door according to RTEs Europe correspondent that the reduction of commisioners is not that popular anywhere and the lisbon treaty allows for a reversal of that.

A protocol on Nuetrality and Militarism clearly exempting Ireland from common defence and another clearly stating that tax is outside the remit of the treaty would go along way to addressing the issues SF raised.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PrivateEye wrote: »
    We voted no because we didn't 'understand' what was before us apparently, not because we didn't like it.
    Congrats -- you're the only no-voter I know of who "understood" the Treaty -- well done! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Voipjunkie wrote: »
    Heard the rant earlier

The thing that struck me was that I never heard SF mention abortion or euthanasia during the campaign the issues that SF raised as far as I ever heard from them were the loss of a commisioner the QMV and the Nuetrality/militarisation and tax

And it appears that the commsioner aspect they may be pushing at an open door according to RTEs Europe correspondent that the reduction of commisioners is not that popular anywhere and the lisbon treaty allows for a reversal of that.

A protocol on Nuetrality and Militarism clearly exempting Ireland from common defence and another clearly stating that tax is outside the remit of the treaty would go along way to addressing the issues SF raised.

Lisbon or Nice 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thecoolfreak

Makes a joke of their belief in democracy - clearly, if they could have gotten away without having a referendum, they would have

Actually the government could have got away without a referendum. The Treaty did not change the the essential scope or objectives of the existing EU and so according to the Crotty decision could have been passed by Statute. However the Government decided to hold a referendum because it was the right thing to do and because if thedidn't there would be uproar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Which side was Nell McCafferty advocating. Gay mitchells hissy fit was nothing compared to her one on Newstalk on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭SeanW

PrivateEye wrote: »
    The Yes side are.....

1) Treating us like idiots: We voted no because we didn't 'understand' what was before us apparently, not because we didn't like it.
    Are you sure? How many No voters read the Treaty, reviewed the 28th Amendment to the Constitution Bill (which was technically the point of the referendum) and said to themselves: "I have a problem with provision X of part Y of the Porposed Amendment" or "I don't think Article X, Section Y, Subsection Z of the Treaty presents the right way forward for Ireland or the people of Europe" before putting an X in the "No" box?
    3) Undemocratic. If it was a Yes vote...that would be that. Why are they trying to undermine the people?
    It IS being respected. But a lot of Europeans are pissed off with us now and some people are now considering a "two-speed Europe" solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

It's hardly undemocratic to put it to us again, after all, only ~28% of the electorate voted no.

Cumpolsary poll atentendence ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

SeanW wrote: »
    Are you sure? How many No voters read the Treaty, reviewed the 28th Amendment to the Constitution Bill (which was technically the point of the referendum) and said to themselves: "I have a problem with provision X of part Y of the Porposed Amendment" or "I don't think Article X, Section Y, Subsection Z of the Treaty presents the right way forward for Ireland or the people of Europe" before putting an X in the "No" box?
    How many did the same before putting an X in the "yes" box?

It is an absolute disgrace that Sarkozy is calling for the rest of the countries to continue ratify the treaty in order to group everyone against us. Fu'cking wanker. I am glad we voted no to show up this federalistic dictatorship that is starting to emerge - "if you are not with us then you are against us!". I am finding it hard to stay pro-europe the more I think of where the EU is going.

The cheek of Gay to attack 25% of the people for this "mess" - just because they did not give the answer he wanted. I think that shows that it is hard to believe that those people are supposed to be representing us. Shame on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭BizzyLizzy

Actually the government could have got away without a referendum.

Not possible. The Irish people's right to an referendum is enshrined in our constitution and we have Dev to thank for it! :o

The majority of the Irish are pro-Europe, but after 800 years of foreign rule it is natural we will reject further “invasion” from Europe unless it is very clear to us what we are accepting. As it is, we are fighting a daily battle to survive the current invasion of Europeans and non-European “refugees”. Our jobs are being lost to those who will work for less and our taxes are keeping others in a manor in which few of us have had the opportunity to exploit. The sick part of it all is that while our government is busy dolloping the “Céad Mile Fálte” over all and sundry (as well as allowing the importation of enough “ethnic” foods and luxuries to cause an Australian customs officer to keel over with a heart attack!), it is in total denial of the unease and discomfort of the people they are supposed to represent. And we are supposed to trust our public representatives to make the best decisions for us?!!

In my opinion, the NO vote was as much a vote of no confidence in the government as it was a rejection of further dictatorship from Europe.

• Advertisement

BizzyLizzy wrote: »
    Not possible. The Irish people's right to an referendum is enshrined in our constitution and we have Dev to thank for it! :o

I think it was mentioned on another thread that they could go along with it, although they would then risk a court case based on the Crotty ruling.

Advertisement