Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Applying to join the Police Service of Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

While the subject is on merit scores...have we ever had anyone with a merit of 1 on here?? or even in the tens?? I think if I somehow managed an unbelievalbe merit score like that, I would be on a mission to tell people :D Might sound incredibly egotastical doing so, but managing a number like that I think you deserve to tell about it, and I wouldn't look down on anyone for doing so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭pma1983

Cashflow wrote: »
    All this talk of merit scores and whatnot is complete tripe. I was accepted last year with a merit score in the 700's, it literally means nothing. There are people on the boards who have not been successful in previous campaigns with merit scores in the low 100's.

That's very confusing!! Do you only get a merit score if you have passed medical and vetting?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

Its not really known what the system behind assigning merit scores is, but no; you do not get one only if you've passed both the medical and vetting; therefore they are not a good means of gauging how likely you are to get a callup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

cashflow ,surely this is misleading information.It has to mean something otherwise there would be no such thing as a merit list.You have been lucky enough to have been accepted with a score in the 700s.I would assume that you are rc,and that is the reason you were accepted with such a low merit ranking.Those of us here who are not rc may have more of an interest in achieving as high a merit score as possible as the competition is fiercer within that group,compared to an rc candidate who can be accepted with a ranking which is considerably higher.
    I am confused as to your perceived misunderstanding of the order of acceptance procedure based on relegious background

no offence intended by saying low merit ranking ...

• Advertisement

But thats my point, how could it be "luck" that one gets in with a score that isn't great, assuming of course that the whole merit system is actually a ranking of each candidate. I've not heard of any RC applicants from the last campaign with a score of less than 500 or so. My personal opinion on the whole situation is that your chances rely more or less solely on vetting; if you meet some undisclosed criteria then you're in.

If you check back through the posts in the c15 thread, you'll see that most (if not all, my memory is a little hazy) of the RC applicants had merit scores that were higher than 500. By your rationale, this means that all RC applicants are intrinsically less capable of the job than any non-rc applicant, and only receive any call due to their religious background.

I am intrigued by this comment.
    By no means am I saying that accepted rcs are less capable than accepted non rcs.I have made my point clear,which is and has been obvious since Patten came along.I feel daft even having to post this.
    More non rcs apply....more non rcs get through to the Ac....By my rough calculations out of those that pass the Ac(circa1100) 30% are rc.
    I am basically saying what everyone knows....non rcs need a higher score at the Ac within their respective group than non Rcs...come on!...if you are going to accuse me of something ..ie:bigotry,or inferring that non rcs are less capable or less intelligent then you have a very weak argument.I stand by every thing I have said tonight and would welcome a comment from psni

out of curiosity,what do you think this may be?

Your comment ,cashflow, is pretty derogatory my friend and at no point have I inferred that rcs are less capable than non rcs.A retraction would be appreciated.Although you say you have been accepted it does not make you the font of all knowledge and give you the right to defame me here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Alright cesc, cool it for a sec ok. He didn't make any derogatory comments, what he actually said was "By your rationale..." and then proceeded to say what he said. Even I had my finger on the infract button before I read it a second time. He didn't say what you seem to think he said.

Your merit score is your IST score plus your A/C score. Vetting and Medicals don't enter into it.

When enough (not all) people have completed Vetting and Medicals, then they can take the top 30ish from the RC pile and the top 30ish from the non-RC pile, then they have an intake.

They proceed to do that with contingency built in for drop outs, withdrawals, and out of jurisdiction applicants (eg, ROI) and sometimes it can be a bit unclear to the ordinary joe to understand exactly what's going on by reading the scraps of information you see on this forum, but there is a system, it's not luck or chance or an undisclosed criterion in play.

Yes, people with a merit score in the 100s on this very forum were refused a place in training because of 50/50, and yes, that raised a few pulses when RCs with 700+ merit scores got in to the same intake.

Don't blame the player - blame the game!

• Advertisement

So what you're pretty much saying is - the arbitrary number you're assigned is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

Cashflow wrote: »
    So what you're pretty much saying is - the arbitrary number you're assigned is pointless.

No, he's not saying that.

The very simple fact is - in a standard intake of 440 candidates, with 50/50 applied, the top 220 R/Cs who have completed all stages of the recruitment process successfully are offered a place.

The top 220 other who have successfully completed all stages of the recruitment process are also offered a place.

Without a merit number how do you suppose they choose these top candidates?? Its not at random.

You are put on a list in the order of your merit number. If you fail vetting or medical you're scratched off the list. Thats why somebody in the 700's can get a place.

I don't understand where the confusion comes from??

Out of curiosity here...Does the little blurb about why you want to join the PSNI you have to put on your application form ever actually get used or even looked at? I've always thought it was the most random little thing just stuck at the end of it, especially since the application form is nothing but your basic details. Do they just put it there to prove you can atleast formulate a sentence?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Brilliant minds think alike ;) I've been wondering exactly the same - cannot figure out why that bit goes in. AFAIK that was only added in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

delancey42 wrote: »
    Brilliant minds think alike ;) I've been wondering exactly the same - cannot figure out why that bit goes in. AFAIK that was only added in the last couple of years.

well... by their own mountain of red tape, surely it cant count for anything and they specify that it purely based on merit in the AC and IST tests, no other factor such as previous experience qualifications can help you so your ability at english to write the paragraph cant help either.

was so tempted this year to write along the lines of blue flashey lights etc etc :rolleyes:

beca wrote: »
    was so tempted this year to write along the lines of blue flashey lights etc etc :rolleyes:

or "to bag me a proper hottie policeman" :D

Maybe it's some sort of initial screening to catch out the thickest of thick terrorists from trying to infiltrate...Why do you want to join the PSNI? "to blow s**t up" :P Never know might catch a few out that way!

You really would wonder why it's there at all if it serves no purpoese as it seems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dixie33

Has anyone heard of another recruitment campaign in september of this year ?
    ive heard rumours but heard nothing official. would love some clarity on this lol :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Bubbles34

dixie33 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of another recruitment campaign in september of this year ?
    ive heard rumours but heard nothing official. would love some clarity on this lol :confused:

On the AC pass letter being sent out for this campaign it says

"You should be aware that this is likely to be the last recruitment campaign under existing temporary legislation (50/50) and that the PSNI is unlikely to be recruiting with the same volume after March 2011".

I heard the rumour of a september campaign also, but the above statement should pretty much put an end to that.

well that pretty much drops a huge bomb on my plans:( lol
    especially that 50:50 thing as i am a RC

thanx for the info bubbles, appreciate it:)

but if anyone has heard any thing similar or different could they post it plz, thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭gazzabelfast

dixie33 wrote: »
    well that pretty much drops a huge bomb on my plans:( lol
    especially that 50:50 thing as i am a RC

thanx for the info bubbles, appreciate it:)

but if anyone has heard any thing similar or different could they post it plz, thanks :D

dont think that the end of 50:50 will instantly mean the end of RC being allowed in the psni;)

RC will still be under represented and there will always be some kind of positive discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

It will, Jedis only for next year.

dont think that the end of 50:50 will instantly mean the end of RC being allowed in the psni;)

RC will still be under represented and there will always be some kind of positive discrimination.

haha i know that :P
    just reduces my chances of bein one of the lucky few who make it, heres hoping though

thanx for the info anyway

Poor you.Obviously a dedicated applicant.Spare a thought for others not in your relegious background who have to score significantly better within said background to gain entry..Positive discrimination jokes are in poor taste coming from someone who benefits from the end result.

cesc77 wrote: »
    Poor you.Obviously a dedicated applicant.Spare a thought for others not in your relegious background who have to score significantly better within said background to gain entry..Positive discrimination jokes are in poor taste coming from someone who benefits from the end result.

Actualy this will be the first year im eligible to apply because of my age.

yeah i know its tough on them like :(
    especially if they're like me and joining the police is their dream

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You two - knock it off.

psni wrote: »
    You two - knock it off.

Are u referring to me ?
    if u are im sorry, i honestly wasnt trying be provocative in any way to any one. Don't know how i could have been taken like that. anyway, sorry :)

psni,you cannot be referring to me,surely?
    I would never get involved within a provocative debate. :eek:

he started it.....
    joke.
    Dixie good luck whenever you do apply.

lol

thanx :)

plan to apply in september, heard rumours of a campaign for then and if not then just whenever the next campaign is. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 titanmcdermott

congrats to everyone who got in off the last campaign. Is there any info at all now that 50:50 is gone and so are deloitte of any future plans for recruitment and if so how they will go about it??? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

congrats to everyone who got in off the last campaign. Is there any info at all now that 50:50 is gone and so are deloitte of any future plans for recruitment and if so how they will go about it??? thanks

Unfortunately at this time nothing is known , easy to speculate but the only firm information at this time is no recruitment this year or next.

Advertisement