Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Applying to join the Police Service of Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭suziesaysso

Hey lads just a few questions

I am currently in university but i plan on becoming a member of the police once i finish.

If i was to apply in march and be accepted could i defer my place until i had finshed my univerity course???

even if you get a cracker merit score, the earliest start date you could hope for would be oct/nov if you applied this march so that won't be a prob, but yes you can defer a start date if you have a good reason

Also would i go in on 4th year pay as i have a degree

in a word....no

Hope someone can help us out

Would be very much appreciated :)

hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

Thanks very much

one more question is it possible to select where you may be put

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Thanks very much

one more question is it possible to select where you may be put

You select your DCUs in order of preference from 1 -4 but its no guarantee that you'll get posted to any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

Innercitydub1: What made you think people with a degree got 4th year pay? Wonder if we can talk Hugh Orde into it? :P Is that how it works in the Gardai? I'm assuming your from 'down south'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

Yes im from the south but orginaly from Norn Iron played under Mal Donaghys U19s Northern Ireland. Family just moved down hear for work reasons as you do

Im a British Citzen and i am very much considering moving back up to where most of my family live once i complete my degree.

And yes thats where i heard of the 4th pay programme for trainees with degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭surfrunner

I'd say that C15 will be much busier than previous campaigns with all the job lossess etc. More people will want to apply. If C14 had approx 8000 applicants I dread to think what C15 will have...which of course will make it more difficult to get through!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

surfrunner wrote: »
    I'd say that C15 will be much busier than previous campaigns with all the job lossess etc. More people will want to apply. If C14 had approx 8000 applicants I dread to think what C15 will have...which of course will make it more difficult to get through!!!

Tis exactly what I was thinking....ah great minds!!:D

Yup, I know 2 people myself who were laid off as their employers went bust recently and they're considering rapping the PSNI for a job. They both know I've got in so they're probably thinking it's easy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Stay_in_Kampuchea

Howerya, Can anyone from the south of Ireland join the PSNI?!

Howerya, Can anyone from the south of Ireland join the PSNI?!

Yes of course. In fact, I think these threads were originally for people from the south who wished to join. Just apply in the normal way.

There are a number of regular posters from the south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

does it matter what age you are to join?? obviously over 18 but is it easier to get in if younger or older??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

beca wrote: »
    does it matter what age you are to join?? obviously over 18 but is it easier to get in if younger or older??

Age has no bearing on it, its all about passing the Initial Test, passing the Assessment Centre and demonstrating you have the qualities they're looking for.

As long as you meet the age ( and other ) requirements as laid out on the Consensia Website ( www.selectnipolice.org ) then go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Double Oh Seven

Hi folks

I've been reading the PSNI threads on here for a while, but only getting round to registering now. I'm going to be applying for the new recruitment campaign, so thought I'd make myself known on here because no doubt I'll be comparing notes (a.k.a. complaining about how slow the process is) with other applicants over the next year or so! I've applied for NIFRS twice before and this will be my first attempt at joining PSNI.

Nice to be aboard :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

Hi folks

I've been reading the PSNI threads on here for a while, but only getting round to registering now. I'm going to be applying for the new recruitment campaign, so thought I'd make myself known on here because no doubt I'll be comparing notes (a.k.a. complaining about how slow the process is) with other applicants over the next year or so! I've applied for NIFRS twice before and this will be my first attempt at joining PSNI.

Nice to be aboard :)

Good to have you onboard mate!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lenny25

hi folks, new to this boards thing. Can i just ask if anyone knows if you can apply to the psni and the gardai at the same time, or is it just one or the other??? thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lenny25

hi folks, new to this boards thing, jst wondering if anyone knows if you can apply to the psni and gardai at the same time or is it jst one or the other???? thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

lenny25 wrote: »
    hi folks, new to this boards thing, jst wondering if anyone knows if you can apply to the psni and gardai at the same time or is it jst one or the other???? thanks..

cant see there being a problem mate, two different forces and two deifferent applications, and two different posts best of luck with both!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

given1 wrote: »
    cant see there being a problem mate, two different forces and two deifferent applications, best of luck with both!!

and dont forget two different posts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

given1 wrote: »
    cant see there being a problem mate, two different forces and two deifferent applications, best of luck with both!!

and dont forget two different posts!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Che75

Just got a mail in my inbox saying that recruitment begins this Thursday March 5th. It is a go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 losches04

hi, im new to this forum. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on the application process for the psni. This will be my first application and i dont really have any experience of the actual process. Ive heard that it is very difficult to get selected. Im 22, just finished a criminology degree at the university of manchester and i really want a job in the police. Any advice that you could give me would be really appreicated. Thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭suziesaysso

losches04 wrote: »
    hi, im new to this forum. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on the application process for the psni. This will be my first application and i dont really have any experience of the actual process. Ive heard that it is very difficult to get selected. Im 22, just finished a criminology degree at the university of manchester and i really want a job in the police. Any advice that you could give me would be really appreicated. Thanx

Well you have certainly come to the right place! There are veterans of many campaigns loitering these boards on a regular basis. As a rookie (c14 is my first!) heres some advice from me:
    • Submit application (doh!)
    • The best thing you can do after this is trawl these boards for more info on the IST and other things. I cannot overemphasise how useful the info on these boards is.
    • It is difficult to get picked, but there are a few variables that can affect selection. The biggest one being religion - you have a much better chance if you are a northern irish catholic. But if you're not don't panic, you just gotta do extra well at the assessment centre to get a high enough merit number (board trawling will turn up alot of info on merit nos!)
    • Resign yourself to the fact that nothing will happen fast. As take that once said, 'have a little patience'. That is the best piece of advice of all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

Penis Eye wrote: »
    and dont forget two different posts!!:D

lol i stand corrected;)

Well you have certainly come to the right place! There are veterans of many campaigns loitering these boards on a regular basis. As a rookie (c14 is my first!) heres some advice from me:
    • Submit application (doh!)
    • The best thing you can do after this is trawl these boards for more info on the IST and other things. I cannot overemphasise how useful the info on these boards is.
    • It is difficult to get picked, but there are a few variables that can affect selection. The biggest one being religion - you have a much better chance if you are a northern irish catholic. But if you're not don't panic, you just gotta do extra well at the assessment centre to get a high enough merit number (board trawling will turn up alot of info on merit nos!)
    • Resign yourself to the fact that nothing will happen fast. As take that once said, 'have a little patience'. That is the best piece of advice of all!

im new this year aswell and even after only a few weeks board trawling, i have a fair idea of whats gonna happen when i go to the IST and AC! just take a day off work and read every post ever made and that book recomended is brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Double Oh Seven

beca wrote: »
    ...and that book recomended is brilliant!

Are you talking about 'How To Pass The New Police Selection System'? I received it through the post yesterday (off Amazon) and it's been an eye-opener for how rusty my Maths skills have become. It's been a long time since I've done any Maths, so I'll need to get the Accountant girlfriend to tutor me!

Are you talking about 'How To Pass The New Police Selection System'? I received it through the post yesterday (off Amazon) and it's been an eye-opener for how rusty my Maths skills have become. It's been a long time since I've done any Maths, so I'll need to get the Accountant girlfriend to tutor me!

yes!! i think its really good although you have to be careful because some parts of it are not relevant to the PSNI recruitment process but all the information still helps and the final thoughts sections are good. my maths is down the pan too, only left school last year an already struggled with some of their questions!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 happydays1

Does anybody know that once accepted into the PSNI is it possible to transfer to the garda siochana if the need arose or would you have to go through the whole training process with them as well??

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mhairt

happydays1 wrote: »
    Does anybody know that once accepted into the PSNI is it possible to transfer to the garda siochana if the need arose or would you have to go through the whole training process with them as well??
    You cant tansfer from another force to the Garda. You would have to apply and if successful go through the training process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Stay_in_Kampuchea

Sorry Lads,
    ! I'm a bit confused, how long does the inital test take and how many questions are on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fingerbob

I'm 19, applied there the other day. Dropped out of uni in november and need some advice. Would it be better for me to go back to uni in september and get a policework relevant degree and apply again after or if I'm succesfull join now?
    Also does anyone think I'm too young to join and will I be rejected because of this?

Advertisement