Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

bc84 wrote: »
    is it me or is it hot in here?

im blushing :eek:

Its just my hottness radiating over to you! LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

Its just my hottness radiating over to you! LOL:D

its probably the radiation from my pc as i spend wayyyy too much time on this board. getting to desperation stage of the recruitment process so im on here trying to cling to every last shred of hope and advice i can get :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

its probably the radiation from my pc as i spend wayyyy too much time on this board. getting to desperation stage of the recruitment process so im on here trying to cling to every last shred of hope and advice i can get :eek:

And there was me thinking it was me:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Bifbert

Awwww!:(

of course its you! the ronald mcdonald look does it for me ;)

• Advertisement

Did the IST for the first time the other day and I gotta say that was shocking! I think I totally underestimated the speed you had to work at for the 2nd bit, it would've been a piece of cake if it weren't for the time, even an extra 5mins would've made a massive difference! Although I really was expecting the actual maths involved in it to be a lot harder, I just got lost in all the information.

Annoyingly, there was a fella sat beside me who got it finished with a good few mins to spare and just sat there with his arms folded not even looking over it, and heres me had to guess about 10 of them!:(

Very few girls at mine too, just lots of really good looking potential policemen...that made it all a bit better :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Double Oh Seven

I gotta say, the blonde girl that was running my IST was hot stuff, major distraction! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

scania 850 if you are reading these post will you give me a ring i lost my phone so i cant find your number

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Very few girls at mine too, just lots of really good looking potential policemen...that made it all a bit better :D

You're lucky there was zip in the way of talent of mine!!
    Not very many women either.

Which poses the question, how come so many hotties in GV in training????!!!!

Every time I go tis wall to wall talent!!!

Not long to go til results time. 2 weeks or thereabouts:eek: ( she says, getting back on topic )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭RoscoPColtrane

Which poses the question, how come so many hotties in GV in training????!!!!

Every time I go tis wall to wall talent!!!

Will you sneak me in in your handbag next time you go? Pretty please? Just so you'll have someone to back up your statement you understand.

Maybe not even two weeks. They say four weeks. Results were out quick smart last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

hi all first time applying here,just wondering if any of you's non british applicants needed to get your passport/id's endorsed to verify leave to remain in the uk,or will an eu passport alone be sufficient?thanks

triple-M wrote: »
    hi all first time applying here,just wondering if any of you's needed to get your passport/id's endorsed to verify leave to remain in the uk,or will an eu passport alone be sufficient?thanks

Have you already applied? Have you checked with recruitment or UK Borders Agency with regard LTR?

hi all anybody do the ist in dublin today monday11/5 i forgot all about part one which i found easy but if i have to be honest part 2 on my behalf contained some guess work. oh and if you are blond , ponytail and you done the ist today dont bother with the psni you have a future as a model i think i saw one bloke walk into a wall taking a look at you;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PNE

Was in Dublin today,found time was the big problem.left feeling I should not be allowed out on my own......:confused:

. oh and if you are blond , ponytail and you done the ist today dont bother with the psni you have a future as a model i think i saw one bloke walk into a wall taking a look at you;)

havta say, i spat yoghurt over my screen there LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

lol

tbh though, im sure if she worked as an officer in the PSNI, she could also do a modelling career modelling in uniform!

i think ive got 2 weeks now for my results. maybe even 1 i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dark side

smyff wrote: »
    lol

tbh though, im sure if she worked as an officer in the PSNI, she could also do a modelling career modelling in uniform!

i think ive got 2 weeks now for my results. maybe even 1 i think

I've not even done my test yet :confused:

edzzy wrote: »
    Part A – Verbal Logical Reasoning

48 Answers to complete in 20 mins – Not possible use a strategy!!
    48 / 20 = Approx two min max per statement NO MORE

Ask examiner: “Is there negative marking?” Use stopwatch – Bring it with you

Should be at question 24 after 10 mins half way

Write start time and end time down at start of session.

MAKE SURE ALL QUESTIONS ARE COMPLETE
    DON’T LEAVE ANY BLANK

Guess last four questions at start of exam immediately!!
    Go back and check only if you have time

True statement = if it is says it in text

False statement= if it isn’t in text

Can’t tell = if it isn’t in text

Ignore real life information. For example if the text in passage states that "Titanic sank in a pond in in Ahoghill in 2008" then IT DID

(Clearly we all really know that it sank on the River Bann after hitting a drunk swan......in 1985 after most of the passengers were at Buggles concert on board. The band played a great rendition of Video killed the radio star as it sank...)

Look for qualified text in statement to give you pointers

Absolute words - Must Have Will
    Qualified words - Could Can Some

Scan read paragraph

Pick out key words form true/false /can’t tell statements form the paragraph use them to answer.

Aim for 32 marks min, aim to get best marks in which ever section you are good at, use the other to carry you through

Part B - numerical

30 Answers to complete in 25 mins – Not possible use a strategy!!
    30 / 25 = Approx 1.2 min max per statement NO MORE

MAKE SURE ALL QUESTIONS ARE COMPLETE
    DON’T LEAVE ANY BLANK

Guess last four questions at start of exam immediately!!
    Go back and check only if you have time

O h yes and did i mention DON’T LEAVE ANY BLANK

One more thing practice under time pressure, useless if you dont,will get you used to handling the panic.

I have a degree and masters and went in before arrogantly assuming and thinking that the IST would be easy, its is if you had and hour to complete it , but you don't....but you can prepare and beat it.

Good luck all..............

Brilliant advise there Edzzy, I'm ****ting my pants about my test, I'm glad that its 48 for verbal reasoning cause I'm better at that than the maths.

I'll be leaving all long division questions to the end, because they are my biggest down fall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

dark side wrote: »
    I've not even done my test yet :confused:
    i did mine on the day after may day last year. i think they carry on until later in may so i wouldnt be worried. you have a date remember :D just work towards it.

smyff wrote: »
    i did mine on the day after may day last year. i think they carry on until later in may so i wouldnt be worried. you have a date remember :D just work towards it.
    Smyffers is right, the ISTs run until the end of May according to the timeline on the PSNI website.

I'm expecting results mid-late next week which will cover a month including the bank holiday.

• Advertisement

my results if your going by 4 weeks or so will be due start to mid of next week i thinks

Swear to God..Spat my gin out when I read that you'd spat your yoghurt out....

Hi PNE. Dont worry. I had the dreads too coming out of the IST. Time is a killer..I doubt anyone really completes part 2. Unless they have a masters in Maths. Which I dont. .First time applying? The four weeks to results will just FLY by....:D

shame we cant say the same about the next 48weeks or so LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

shame we cant say the same about the next 48weeks or so LOL

I agree with ya bc84 the weeks are just going to roll by:( Me thinks not;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭fortuneteller

That was my polish girlfriend your talkin about,i sent her there to dampen the comp! in a recession lad,,,,, all is fair in love and warslov!,,regards,,, to all in the munster area,,since you got whacked recently!:p

I had my IST today,

the verbal reasoning was grand - but I'm not joking i guessed 25 out of the 30 maths questions, I just saw all the data and my mind froze!

About 40% there were woman, no really good looking men unfortunately, so I can't blame distraction for my failure! :D

I had my IST today,

the verbal reasoning was grand - but I'm not joking i guessed 25 out of the 30 maths questions, I just saw all the data and my mind froze!

About 40% there were woman, no really good looking men unfortunately, so I can't blame distraction for my failure! :D

Youve probably done a lot better than you think. Its a lot of info to take in and all the data is a bit intimidating. Good luck. 40% is a lot of filly's in one sitting. There was about 3 at mine and not a fit bloke in sight. But then when they don the uniform taaaaaa daaaaaa... hot stuff!! My "dirty cop" outfit does wonders for me. ;)

Youve probably done a lot better than you think. Its a lot of info to take in and all the data is a bit intimidating. Good luck. 40% is a lot of filly's in one sitting. There was about 3 at mine and not a fit bloke in sight. But then when they don the uniform taaaaaa daaaaaa... hot stuff!! My "dirty cop" outfit does wonders for me. ;)

Zero talent at mine too and not that many girls about ten percent tops. Doesn't bode well for gv lol

Zero talent at mine too and not that many girls about ten percent tops. Doesn't bode well for gv lol

Maybe they have to do positive discrimination on looks to, All the beautiful ones have been recruited already and now its time to balance it out with the uglies :D:D:D

Seriously tho I really want a Cop boyfriend, anyone want to come cop hunting with me? :D

• Advertisement

Seriously tho I really want a Cop boyfriend, anyone want to come cop hunting with me? :D[/quote]

Oh aye.......Is that Hugh boy available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 GazeeboBrown

Seriously tho I really want a Cop boyfriend, anyone want to come cop hunting with me? :D

I'll give you a call after my IST to let you know how I do, maybe I'll give you my numbers so you can get a head start on the others ;):D

Anyone got any links to some online aptitude tests or such? I did pretty well on the ones they provided, I want the practice!

I'll give you a call after my IST to let you know how I do, maybe I'll give you my numbers so you can get a head start on the others ;):D

Anyone got any links to some online aptitude tests or such? I did pretty well on the ones they provided, I want the practice!

Aww I'm delighted to get first refusal on you Gazeebo Brown, now get studying I need you to pass that test :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Track

Ah ladies, you should have been at mine; I was parading around like a peacock, strutting all I could :D. A few lookers on behalf of the female team I must say:)

Originally Posted by RoscoPColtrane viewpost.gif
    Youve probably done a lot better than you think. Its a lot of info to take in and all the data is a bit intimidating. Good luck. 40% is a lot of filly's in one sitting. There was about 3 at mine and not a fit bloke in sight. But then when they don the uniform taaaaaa daaaaaa... hot stuff!! My "dirty cop" outfit does wonders for me. wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Slave_To_Sound

Im surprised no1 has got their results yet hopefully not much longer to wait!

Im surprised no1 has got their results yet hopefully not much longer to wait!

Thats it. Let the stalking (re)commence. I live a nano second from work and spent the good part of last year going home at coffee time/lunchtime/anytime to check post. Ah. Groundhog day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Bifbert

Just as a matter of interest, how many times has everyone here done the IST? Have you passed it every time or not? Hopefully just another week for results, I'm getting quite nervous.

Another question as well. I am going on holiday soon, do they tell you your AC date with your IST results or do they come separately. Its just i really don't want to miss the chance to participate in this campaign just because I'm on holiday. Thanks for your replies in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭0607

In total, I've done it about 7 times.
    Passed some, failed some.
    I cant really remember the answer to the second question, i think they tell you youve passed and to attent AC at {location} and time, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

Maybe they have to do positive discrimination on looks to, All the beautiful ones have been recruited already and now its time to balance it out with the uglies :D:D:D

they aint all they craic up to be!! althought they are helpful for practising roleplays ;)

Bifbert wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, how many times has everyone here done the IST? Have you passed it every time or not? Hopefully just another week for results, I'm getting quite nervous.

Another question as well. I am going on holiday soon, do they tell you your AC date with your IST results or do they come separately. Its just i really don't want to miss the chance to participate in this campaign just because I'm on holiday. Thanks for your replies in advance

Twice. Passed last year. Waiting on results. They send out your IST results first and your appointment for AC follows a few weeks later as far as I can remember. Seven times? Now that perserverance for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 spankers24

Hello everybody,

This is my first time posting on here. I've been reading the boards now for the last few weeks and found that it helped coming up to my ist.
    I did my ist last week and, ohh dear god, how i had forgotten how much of a nightmare it was.

Has anyone got their results back yet? I'm just interested to see what the pass/ fail mark is for this one.

• Advertisement

Bifbert wrote: »

This was my second time failed last year by two then got told I was through which made MGH a tres happy girl. Hope to know this time next week whether I've pulled it out of the bag this year. Time to start sacrificing goats and bathing in the sweat of male virgins. Start a list boys LOL and by the way you will be required to work up the sweat ;)

This was my second time failed last year by two then got told I was through which made MGH a tres happy girl. Hope to know this time next week whether I've pulled it out of the bag this year. Time to start sacrificing goats and bathing in the sweat of male virgins. Start a list boys LOL and by the way you will be required to work up the sweat ;)

Ha Ha. Male Virgins indeed!! You'd be better off hunting down a unicorn...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The wobbler

Heyy

1st time posting, 1st time sitting the IST test anyone got any tips or anything I am pretty nervous :(

bring a watch or stopwatch, you dont get warnings on how longs left. there will be a clock but its not as easy to guage obviously.

dont leave any out, no neg marking means if your running behind, you can guess the answers and maybe get lucky!

i should really follow my own advice lol

Heyy

1st time posting, 1st time sitting the IST test anyone got any tips or anything I am pretty nervous :(

look at page 32 of this thread darkside is on the ball. just remember answer all the questions

cheers

do you know when they get the results out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Slave_To_Sound

cheers

do you know when they get the results out?
    Its a month after you have done your test, Im at week 3 only one more to go.
    Yours might be quicker as they are coming to the end of them now so they wont have to wait to find out the pass mark. This is a complete guess so just be prepared for a months wait. And this is the quick part ugh!

ahh

thats a long time :|

Well i hope you have done well (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cliffy33

Hey guys. did my IST for the first time a couple of hours ago. found it ok but the number section was tough to do under the time. time to forget about it now until results come bak. no point in havin a big post-mortem. good luck to everyone waiting on results anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 welshNI

IST is within hours, went to draw to pick up letter, which hasn't moved for a month, AND GONE, better half thought she would check the timings and cant remeber where she left it, remember it saying need both letter and ID, turned house upside down for last 3 hours am I screwed or what, cant find a tel no. to ask, absolutely 100% GUTTED

• Advertisement
Advertisement