Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Graciehart

Ha ha popolive maybe an ann summers police woman outfit then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Graciehart wrote: »
    Ha ha popolive maybe an ann summers police woman outfit then :)

You should see the one I have!!!! My best friend was marrying a PC so we all dressed in cop outfits and stuck her in a robbers outfit. Best nights banter I had in along while!!! Of course I couldn't do traditional cop outfit, went as SWAT, wishful thinking lol

Mop a top wrote: »
    You should see the one I have!!!! My best friend was marrying a PC so we all dressed in cop outfits and stuck her in a robbers outfit. Best nights banter I had in along while!!! Of course I couldn't do traditional cop outfit, went as SWAT, wishful thinking lol

Paint a sandwich board navy with swat in white and the birthday suit underneath ha ha that should get some attention!!

http://www.dunbarcostumes.co.uk/acatalog/LEG-AVENUE-Sexy-SWAT-Commander-Costume-83630-4516.html

Wonder which one they'd prefer now. That swat one or the Russian one lmfao!!! Although the SWAT one wasn't that short thankfully!!!!!

As long as those fishnet stockings weren't forgotten in sure either would please ha ha

Hat was the best bit lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

Hat was the best bit lmao

Nahh the letters 'SWAT' should have been positioned on the rear ;)

I like it just the way it is cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

sorry I hope you didn't interpret me the right way. I mean the wrong way lol

Didn't interpret you in any way. Just take most people with a pinch of salt on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 tailsy25088832

So relieved got new date today for after hols.woop woop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭crinkley

Is it true your IST score doesn't count and it's pass/fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Well it counts in the sense that you will get your AC sooner - I think-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

crinkley wrote: »
    Is it true your IST score doesn't count and it's pass/fail?

It'll be used to calculate merit order when it comes to placing those with the same AC score.

Last campaign, some candidates sat some of the first ACs with IST scores in the 50s, with higher scores sitting it later. Doesn't look like it has a bearing on your AC date, unless they change that this campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

Well it counts in the sense that you will get your AC sooner - I think-

I don't think that was the case last time. I scored fairly high and had a late AC!

Thanks for keeping me right, people!

Forget everything i've ever said crinkley! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

Is the mock exam provided on the joinpsni website the exact same as the real test or are there differences?

Is the mock exam provided on the joinpsni website the exact same as the real test or are there differences?

Last time there was a passage, underline 20 spelling and grammar mistakes, then several small passages with the T/F/CT and then an A4 sheet cramped with info and they gave you multiple choice questions based on the info provided. Pretty much like the mock one but lots more of it.

Last time there was a passage, underline 20 spelling and grammar mistakes, then several small passages with the T/F/CT and then an A4 sheet cramped with info and they gave you multiple choice questions based on the info provided. Pretty much like the mock one but lots more of it.

cheers man!!

• Advertisement

cheers man!!

Lol wrong gender :P but your welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭psnihopeful

Hi everyone!

This is my second go at the IST. I have my test date so I am going to study like mad between now and then! Any advice/tips???

Pray

Love the advice wannabegard - did it work for you??

Love the advice wannabegard - did it work for you??

Im in the same boat as you man. Tryied for the gards didnt get it. Trying the the PSNI now. Aptitude tests are tough. I thought i did really well when i did my first test. I was wrong, didnt get thou the first stage of recruitment, so now im giving this a go. The IST seems to be a bit easier than the Garda one thou... I think its down to how you do on that day in my opinion...

Ah see there ya go! On to a fail already haha. Yeah I think if you can nail the spelling and grammar one you stand a good chance but the time really throws me off!

• Advertisement

How long do you have for each test? Itll be my first time doing a PSNI test?

I cant remember exactly how long we had for each section but I know it wasn't enough! Anybody that completed the test said the same!

The email i got was something like an hour and a half in total so could it be 20 minutes each, or am i over estimating it?

That's about right-but it is virtually impossible to finish it! The datasheet exercise is the most time consuming and frustrating!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

I think you only got 5 mins for the first part and then it might have been 20 for the second and 30 for the data thing. Something like that (it's a long time since I did mine!)

I don't think it's possible to finish the data handling part!

• Advertisement

And like following the finishing of the tests and when the results are releasied are those who do not make it thou out for good or are they put into bands like it was done in the south? i.e. 3 bands, depending on score first band got through to the next stage second and third band left behind (i was in second band)

If you don't pass it - you are out! no second chances:(

Ah its nearly better tbh. At least you can go for it again. Im in limbo now down the south. I dont know what will happen the next Gardarecruitment campaign....if ill even get to do stage 1 again. very frustrating and confusing

That's me done.

Now to wait until 8th September for results.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Squishe92

Sthm wrote: »
    That's me done.

Now to wait until 8th September for results.

Same here. Would have been nice to speak to some other candidates to see how everyone got on; but I think everyone was a bit worn out haha! I certainly was. How do you think you got on?

Squishe92 wrote: »
    Same here. Would have been nice to speak to some other candidates to see how everyone got on; but I think everyone was a bit worn out haha! I certainly was. How do you think you got on?

Ah, it's hard to tell. Same old feelings as last year where you can over-think it and start questioning yourself. How about yourself?

Presuming we were at the same location, I didn't think there were many people at it today. A lot less than last time anyway I found.

Sthm wrote: »
    Ah, it's hard to tell. Same old feelings as last year where you can over-think it and start questioning yourself. How about yourself?

Presuming we were at the same location, I didn't think there was that many people at it today. A lot less than last time anyway I found.

Ah fair enough! I didn't manage to complete all the sections. Same as many I'm hoping haha!

I'm sure that is the case! All the best for it.

It's frustrating having to wait so long for results.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭MissWillow12

Is it pretty much the same layout as the last test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭crinkley

Is it pretty much the same layout as the last test?

I heard people coming it of mine that it was the exact same paper as last year

• Advertisement

Does anyone know any kind of figures about pass/fail rates of the IST? Apologies if this has already been answered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

Does anyone know any kind of figures about pass/fail rates of the IST? Apologies if this has already been answered.

IST is a cull tbh. Has about 25% pass rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 FC93

Just completed my IST yesterday and boy was it so much more difficult than expected.

I'm now pretty sure I've failed it as I had to guess most of sections 2 and 3 :(

FC93 wrote: »
    Just completed my IST yesterday and boy was it so much more difficult than expected.

I'm now pretty sure I've failed it as I had to guess most of sections 2 and 3 :(

Sorry to hear that ! :(

Just an FYI for you all! New pay will more than likely be £19k, just waiting for the go ahead from minister of justice.

http://www.local.gov.uk/documents/10180/6144395/2014-12+New+pay+scales+for+officers+in+PSNI/fe18e7c3-a56a-419d-8156-64fa7b556eaa

FC93 wrote: »

I answered most of mine; but left a few at the end blank (probably about 4 on section 2, and similar for section 3) as I ran out of time. Regret not just guessing those as negative marking isn't implemented.

I've did many tests like these before, in a different field all together, but the best thing is just to put it out of your head. Otherwise you're going to put yourself through hell until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 FC93

I answered most of mine; but left a few at the end blank (probably about 4 on section 2, and similar for section 3) as I ran out of time. Regret not just guessing those as negative marking isn't implemented.

I've did many tests like these before, in a different field all together, but the best thing is just to put it out of your head. Otherwise you're going to put yourself through hell until September.

I did as much as I could then guessed the rest when time was running out, then I went back and changed answers to ones I had time to do.

I got 18 mistakes in the first part so hopefully I have enough to scrape past but I'd be very surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

The last belfast session was well attended, id guess full house as I was walkin in, it was leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

IST done :)

Very familiar; that's all I can say ;)

Ahh this is making me feel nervous!! My IST feels ages away!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

Just out of mine too, it's in the hands of the gods now. Did seem very familiar lol.

Advertisement