Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Test done too best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭MissJC13

IST done! Guess it's just a (very long) wait and see now! Anyone reckon we'll see results before the. 8th?

Couldn't help sitting in the room before it started, wondering who else was a boardie! Lol

Good luck everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

I was up at the front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

One point interest; a guy before didn't print out his invite. He showed them the email on his phone.

Even though they clearly state 'We will not accept you showing us an electronic copy of this email on a mobile device'

Am I being too harsh? My thoughts are if you can't follow the instructions before the test begins perhaps you shouldn't be doing the test.

Homer01 wrote: »
    One point interest; a guy before didn't print out his invite. He showed them the email on his phone.

Even though they clearly state 'We will not accept you showing us an electronic copy of this email on a mobile device'

Am I being too harsh? My thoughts are if you can't follow the instructions before the test begins perhaps you shouldn't be doing the test.

You must have been at the one I was at homer I overheard that convo myself, there was a girl who was sent away too I think something to do with ID, I gotta admit I do agree with you mate. Are those folks now out of the competition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

I think I was at the same one as you guys, was the guy wearing a shirt and glasses?

Cromlech wrote: »
    I think I was at the same one as you guys, was the guy wearing a shirt and glasses?

I'm not entirely sure bud, I was a bit in front of him I just picked up the fella from deloitte saying I'm sorry but I can't let you do the test or something along them lines, I felt for the fella, but I agree with homer, I just wonder if they're out of the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Rj408

I had my IST today in Belfast was anyone else there? I was wearing jean shorts and a red padded hoodie? Came in near the end, like 5mins before it started seated near the back. Ha ha I always look around and wonder are there many boardies about....

Hard enough but hope I have done enough to pass gutted if I don't!

There was a guy right in front of me who had it on his phone, which I think is BS because it clearly states to print it and they won't accept emails from your phone, so why to hell have they done it?! They should look for every reason to cut people and I feel us that prepare for it, and follow everything to the letter are no better off than someone who rocks up and gives them their phone.

I agree too, it's unfortunate, but they do make a point of stating it in the email. Surely following instructions is a basic requirement for the role.

I was up the front today about 10 down on the far left. The test was the same as last year so hopefully I manage a higher score this time round.

• Advertisement

Rj408 wrote: »
    I had my IST today in Belfast was anyone else there? I was wearing jean shorts and a red padded hoodie? Came in near the end, like 5mins before it started seated near the back. Ha ha I always look around and wonder are there many boardies about....

Hard enough but hope I have done enough to pass gutted if I don't!

There was a guy right in front of me who had it on his phone, which I think is BS because it clearly states to print it and they won't accept emails from your phone, so why to hell have they done it?! They should look for every reason to cut people and I feel us that prepare for it, and follow everything to the letter are no better off than someone who rocks up and gives them their phone.

Think I saw you! I was in the middle looking terrified :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

Homer01 wrote: »

It's easy to be harsh in a very competitive atmosphere. I guess it's up to the people who set the exam if they believe it is one effective way to eliminate people who don't pay attention to obvious details but unless the dog or a disgruntled ex literally ate his email then he really cant blame anyone but himself.:pac:

maybe he thought he was at the airport and the email was like an electronic boarding pass ...

MissJC13 wrote: »
    Think I saw you! I was in the middle looking terrified :p

Haha really? Think half the people were looking terrified. How did you find it? Did you do that thing a few weeks ago? I was at it too! Wearing a blue hoodie sitting with a girl at the back!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

well thats me live in the two campaigns. in the dreggs of the AC b grades still waiting and just finished the IST...if the ACs the same that would be delightful lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

My IST is at the end of the month. Debating whether or not to do it.

Mop a top wrote: »
    My IST is at the end of the month. Debating whether or not to do it.

I guess if you are waiting for the call to start the job, and it is only a matter of time, is there any point in doing it?

That is if its actually only a matter of time, tho I can't see why it wouldn't be if your at the later stages of recruitment.

VES86 wrote: »
    well thats me live in the two campaigns. in the dreggs of the AC b grades still waiting and just finished the IST...if the ACs the same that would be delightful lol

Same here, perhaps they will keep the assessments the same in the hope that those of us who have been through the process before will pass no problem this time round and achieve A grades.....No? too hopeful? :)

Haha really? Think half the people were looking terrified. How did you find it? Did you do that thing a few weeks ago? I was at it too! Wearing a blue hoodie sitting with a girl at the back!

Yeah :) I was scanning wondering about other boardies lol. Yeah I thought it was okay to be fair, not as bad as I'd worked myself up for it to be. How about you, find it alright?
    Noo what thing? I was at a thing on sat to prepare for IST, don't know if it's similar? :)

Yeah :) I was scanning wondering about other boardies lol. Yeah I thought it was okay to be fair, not as bad as I'd worked myself up for it to be. How about you, find it alright?
    Noo what thing? I was at a thing on sat to prepare for IST, don't know if it's similar? :)

Thought it was hard enough like the data sheet at the end if a killer in my opinion, hopefully I done ok! Do you think you passed it? You do much prep?

Haha yeah that thing you told me about I was at it a few weekends ago, at the back blue hoodie. Were you at it?

Thought it was hard enough like the data sheet at the end if a killer in my opinion, hopefully I done ok! Do you think you passed it? You do much prep?

Haha yeah that thing you told me about I was at it a few weekends ago, at the back blue hoodie. Were you at it?

Yeah I thought it was awkwardly laid out but I was just glad there was only one page and not a few to flick through lol! I hope I passed but I honestly couldn't et either way lol you?
    I did loads of practice papers and went to one of those classes :) I did the same thing as you just on a different day! Was yours with Roger? I thought it was definitely worth it!

• Advertisement

Did everyone get all the mistakes in the first part?
    (Obviously no details on here :))

I only found 18 last time but pleased to say I got them all this time :)

Yeah I thought it was awkwardly laid out but I was just glad there was only one page and not a few to flick through lol! I hope I passed but I honestly couldn't et either way lol you?
    I did loads of practice papers and went to one of those classes :) I did the same thing as you just on a different day! Was yours with Roger? I thought it was definitely worth it!

Yeah it was with Roger, thought it was quite useful but their data handling is nothing compared to the one you do on the day its a lot harder in my opinion. Thats the bit that really worries me fs, and honestly couldn't say if I passed it or not, I hope I did because I really want to job but not sure. I think across the whole recruitment process the IST would be my one and only weak point, which sucks....

I had marked 20 on the mistakes sheet homer but not 100% sure they were all mistakes ha ha the time caught up on my quite fast so never had time to double check them all... fingers crossed.

The wait is far too long like bit of a joke really that it takes them over 2 months to mark a few thousand ISTs, considering they are marked by computers too fs....

Yeah it was with Roger, thought it was quite useful but their data handling is nothing compared to the one you do on the day its a lot harder in my opinion. Thats the bit that really worries me fs, and honestly couldn't say if I passed it or not, I hope I did because I really want to job but not sure. I think across the whole recruitment process the IST would be my one and only weak point, which sucks....

I had marked 20 on the mistakes sheet homer but not 100% sure they were all mistakes ha ha the time caught up on my quite fast so never had time to double check them all... fingers crossed.

The wait is far too long like bit of a joke really that it takes them over 2 months to mark a few thousand ISTs, considering they are marked by computers too fs....

Yeah data handling is definitely the hardest bit! The smaller writing on the data sheet threw me a bit, my head doesn't like small writing lol. Yeah I think I'd be ok if I get to AC etc, I'm just really hoping I got lucky today lol.

I was wondering - maybe they'll issue results earlier than that for the ones who've done the tests early? And they've just said the 8th as a safety net so no one bothers them?

I agree. Especially as it's all read and marked by computer. I'm no expert in such things but it should need very little human input. Even the emails should be automated.

I understand it's holiday time but no one is off for eight weeks either from Deloitte or potential candidates.

I'm just glad it's over; time to wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭monty46

Get used to the waiting. It doesn't get much better in the following stages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

I guess if you are waiting for the call to start the job, and it is only a matter of time, is there any point in doing it?

That is if its actually only a matter of time, tho I can't see why it wouldn't be if your at the later stages of recruitment.

I've done everything and waiting to hear I've either failed the vetting or I've been offered the job. Confused as hell

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

IST done today. Glad its over but would have preferred a later date compared to one of the first ones so I don't have such a long wait for results LOL best of luck everyone

Speaking of odd things there was a guy in my session with shorts, T-shirt and flip flops on, I was surprised and shocked someone would dress just as casual as that for the IST lol

Suzuka wrote: »
    IST done today. Glad its over but would have preferred a later date compared to one of the first ones so I don't have such a long wait for results LOL best of luck everyone

Speaking of odd things there was a guy in my session with shorts, T-shirt and flip flops on, I was surprised and shocked someone would dress just as casual as that for the IST lol

I saw him too lol

Was actually a bit jealous as I was in my shirt and trousers.
    In the IST you really are just number; they don't expect to see most of us again.

Hope he wears his flip-flops to the AC :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭19087

Suzuka wrote: »

It really doesn't matter at all what you wear to the IST, the only time they even look at you is to make sure your face matches your ID!

• Advertisement

19087 wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter at all what you wear to the IST, the only time they even look at you is to make sure your face matches your ID!
    I know but flip flops?! Lol

That fella was sitting beside me in the hall lol

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭missyme82

Is it the same paper this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭the411

We are not supposed to discuss

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gilz_2001

IST done, was familiar indeed ;) I found it tough enough again, such a pressure with time. I passed it last time but really don't know how to feel about it again, could have so easily failed or passed! :/ Does anyone know what the pass mark was last year - was it 50/75?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭LG1985

Gilz_2001 wrote: »
    IST done, was familiar indeed ;) I found it tough enough again, such a pressure with time. I passed it last time but really don't know how to feel about it again, could have so easily failed or passed! :/ Does anyone know what the pass mark was last year - was it 50/75?

Was 51 last time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Got my IST out of the yesterday thank god lol

I thought I heard the deloitte guy say results were out in December? Surely that couldn't be right?

Timetravel wrote: »
    Got my IST out of the yesterday thank god lol

I thought I heard the deloitte guy say results were out in December? Surely that couldn't be right?
    Its definatley by September 8th lol

Hah cheers my hearing must have been playing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Babybuns

Hi guys can anyone tell me if the ist is based on much the same formula as last years one.

You'll be surprised how similar it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Babybuns

ZeGerman wrote: »
    You'll be surprised how similar it is.

Thanks just wanna make sure I study the right material.

Still no advantage whatsoever :(

Don't think preparation helps too much for these tests if I'm honest. September seems like so far away lol

Timetravel wrote: »
    Don't think preparation helps too much for these tests if I'm honest. September seems like so far away lol

I agree. I also think the same for the AC to a certain extent.

You can practice what you know to get in the mindset but it really is a case of you know it or you don't.

The only part of the process you can 100% affect is the PCA :)

Is it just because us boardies are obviously the first to apply for a campaign that we all seem to sit our ist's in the first few days? Is there many left on here still to sit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

I'm still yet to go.

In two campaigns at the minute. Hard to keep up with all the dates

Im still waiting to mine ..

Agree with ya Oz .. Im double checking dates all the time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

LG1985 wrote: »
    Im still waiting to mine ..

Agree with ya Oz .. Im double checking dates all the time!!

You'd need to with all the prosecco and cocktails you've been on ;-)

oztop1234 wrote: »
    You'd need to with all the prosecco and cocktails you've been on ;-)

oii cheeky!! That was just one day!! Lol!!

Iv a PT session tomorrow and im already dreading it .. Iv been told to expect hell!! :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

That your first session? haha

Hell would be an accurate description indeed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement