Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Che75 wrote: »
    Hi folks, was doing a couple of the official IST timed tests and I'm averaging mid-sixties percentage. Do any seasoned campaigners know whether this is crap or acceptable?
    just out of curiosity where did you do the official timed IST tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

i have been a lazy biatch and need to start exercising again, not looking forward to it at all, done feck all since november!:eek:

Me either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Hi,

I applied a few years ago around 4 and you could pick where you were doing the test. I picked dublin and sat it in dublin. So i applied a few days ago for the latest competition, how long does it usually take to get a response and what are the likelyhood of getting the test close to you. I dont really mind, close to home would be nice, i wouldnt mind a bit of a road trip either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Che75

Hi Triple-M, the tests I'm referring to are just the ones from last years campaign and this years. However, I'd recommend the 'Practice Tests for Critical Verbal Reasoning' volume by Hodder Ed. if you seek more of the True/False/Can't Tell type q's. I agree that the National Police Selection book is no good for IST preparation but is nonetheless useful for understanding and analysing the 'core competencies' and what is required from the role plays, etc. Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 potatopeeler

Hi all,

First time applicant here, (or should that be appliCAN ?) :D I'll be bursting my cheery with C15, Does the IST contribute the the overall merit score :confused:. Or is the merit score based on performance at the A/C ?

Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

Hi all,

First time applicant here, (or should that be appliCAN ?) :D I'll be bursting my cheery with C15, Does the IST contribute the the overall merit score :confused:. Or is the merit score based on performance at the A/C ?

Many thanks.

hey there potato peeler, welcome aboard! as far as we can guess the ist has some bearing on ur merit score as for the a/c there is only a window of about 20 marks but about 1000 applicans (mexicants) on it! between me and ali08 there was a different in 2 marks for the ac but 100 in merit score! hope that goes a long way to quenching the thirst of your campaign virgin ass!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Stay_in_Kampuchea

I still avent got any news off them....wtf?!

Hi all, new person here, been skulking around these boards for a while but applied for the first time last week so figured I'd get on here eventually!

Just wondering, anyone whos done the IST before, I got The Police Selection Process book by Ian Colin Hutchinson off amazon (it was the first one I came to and knowing my luck the most irrelevent...) is the maths bit as easy as the tests in it?? I Mean i'm pretty much getting them all right in the time, apart from percentages for some reason my head just doesn't like doing percentages! Or have I got a really rubbish book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bet0409

Hi all, new person here, been skulking around these boards for a while but applied for the first time last week so figured I'd get on here eventually!

Just wondering, anyone whos done the IST before, I got The Police Selection Process book by Ian Colin Hutchinson off amazon (it was the first one I came to and knowing my luck the most irrelevent...) is the maths bit as easy as the tests in it?? I Mean i'm pretty much getting them all right in the time, apart from percentages for some reason my head just doesn't like doing percentages! Or have I got a really rubbish book?

Hiya, good on you for applying and hope it goes well for you. The short answer is NO, the maths test will be more difficult, the practice ones in any book I've ever seen are always much easier so I don't know if the book choice matters so much for practice for IST. If I were you I would just keep practicing as much as possible, google other practice aptitude tests and work on improving your time and being able to read and understand questions quickly, in real thing it is not as simple as a list of questions, you get a lot of data to process. In saying that, I passed it so its not rocket science, if you are already good at maths you should be grand. Good luck!

Cheers, I knew it was too good to be true! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

bet0409 wrote: »
    I passed it so its not rocket science, if you are already good at maths you should be grand. Good luck!

like young betz here said its not rocket science, but its not your average maths either. im great at maths, i got 100% in all of my maths gsce papers (higher tier yes :) ) but i got a B cause the teacher didnt know how to do the coursework, or explain what we had to do. happenbed our whole class

i love the way i always have a useless story to tell

smyff wrote: »
    like young betz here said its not rocket science, but its not your average maths either. im great at maths, i got 100% in all of my maths gsce papers (higher tier yes :) ) but i got a B cause the teacher didnt know how to do the coursework, or explain what we had to do. happenbed our whole class

i love the way i always have a useless story to tell

sure useless stories are what make life interesting! 100%, you wee geek, haha, well done smartypants!

pluginbaby, honestly don't let that put you off or get you down, try to look on the positive that at least you are prepared and know to put the practice in - I went in last year for the first time, I had only done a few practice tests like the ones you've got in your book and still managed to pass, so I bet you will be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Che75

Was told somewhere on here that the pass mark for the IST is 70%. Can someone confirm that please?!

Che75 wrote: »
    Was told somewhere on here that the pass mark for the IST is 70%. Can someone confirm that please?!

I'm brilliant at maths I am. What does that squiggley thing after the 70 mean Che ? You know what I mean the % yoak ? :p

I wonder what score that equates to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Bifbert

got my IST date exactly ten days after applying. approximately a month from receiving letter. This is my very first time applying so am not really that hopeful :( . However my theory is if your not in you can't win. I have ordered some verbal reasoning test books from amazon and have done some online. I have completed some aptitude tests for other jobs before and have done pretty well, but i have heard this is quite tough so am a wee bit worried, but have to stay confident anyway!!!! This is my first post so hello and good luck to everybody involved in this campaign.

Hi, Good luck with your application. Ive a read on here about people getting the first time around so dont let that get you down.

Bifbert wrote: »
    got my IST date exactly ten days after applying. approximately a month from receiving letter. This is my very first time applying so am not really that hopeful :( . However my theory is if your not in you can't win. I have ordered some verbal reasoning test books from amazon and have done some online. I have completed some aptitude tests for other jobs before and have done pretty well, but i have heard this is quite tough so am a wee bit worried, but have to stay confident anyway!!!! This is my first post so hello and good luck to everybody involved in this campaign.

hey bifbert, good move getting on to the boards, lots of useful info on here if you can be assed trawling through all the posts (worth it though!). If you've done ok in other aptitude tests you should be fine, and as long as you are prepared for it being tough and do lots of practice... Don't be un-hopeful, there is so much waiting involved in this recruitment process you have gotta stay hopeful, good luck and welcome to the boards (just be warned, its addictive!!)

Yh it amazing the amount of information here. It been a few days and i still havent read through it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Bifbert

yeah have to keep the head up. I am quite looking forward to doing the IST and am looking at as much information as i can. cheers again and good luck. i'll try not to get 2 addicted but know i probably will!!!

Whoop got my date in yesterday! The excitement begins :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DC Dibble

Hi folks new to this forum so please forgive any posting errors that im bound to make, I've just applied for the first time on the current process. A few wee questions i need to ask. Is there much in the way of working out percentages in the maths tests and is a good command of the art of long division a requirement. If so then I need to rewire some parts of my brain that haven't been used since school (many many moons ago) and what about working with fractions OMG im starting to panic and I 've only applied 4 days ago. HELP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 groovetothebeat

Got my date 29th April for IST :D

Revision time :D

Break out the brain training folks I've heard that's a good way to practice. :)

My wee bro. is bringing 11 + papers home, I'm copying a few and going over them at the minute apparently they're good for getting into the right mind set for the IST.

I must admit that I've been training my body for this competition but neglecting the old grey matter !

Got my test next month (21st) I will update those interested on the board after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cc12

i have a question, not sure how to use this, but anyhow....how many questions do you have to get correct in the initial selection test to pass??

My wee bro. is bringing 11 + papers home.

I've managed to get a load of these and they are good practice!:D

cc12 wrote: »
    i have a question, not sure how to use this, but anyhow....how many questions do you have to get correct in the initial selection test to pass??

hey, you're using it just fine! i've read somewhere on here that it is 70% pass mark, I'd guess (and its only a guess) that it would be at least that high as they have to narrow down the 8000 or 10000 applicants or whatever somehow for the assessment centre. Just aim for as high as possible, can't get a definitive answer as to whether it impacts on your merit score but there is the possibility so do your very very best and good luck!

hey, you're using it just fine! i've read somewhere on here that it is 70% pass mark, I'd guess (and its only a guess) that it would be at least that high as they have to narrow down the 8000 or 10000 applicants or whatever somehow for the assessment centre. Just aim for as high as possible, can't get a definitive answer as to whether it impacts on your merit score but there is the possibility so do your very very best and good luck!

Someone very wise I took some advice from last year told me not to look at it as a Selection test, more of a DEselection test! They try to wipe as many out a this stage as they can. Thought that a very relevant statement!

Yes, the IST does have an impact on your merit score. Its one of the filters they apply in the event of tied scores. I'd love to know what the others are though!!! I've been told theres more than one but I dont know if thats true or not! So far my fishing trips haven't proved fruitful but I'm still trying!!!:D

Someone very wise I took some advice from last year told me not to look at it as a Selection test, more of a DEselection test! They try to wipe as many out a this stage as they can. Thought that a very relevant statement!

Yes, the IST does have an impact on your merit score. Its one of the filters they apply in the event of tied scores. I'd love to know what the others are though!!! I've been told theres more than one but I dont know if thats true or not! So far my fishing trips haven't proved fruitful but I'm still trying!!!:D

Nice statement, it should be the tagline for IST!

Maybe the Consensia dudes write a wee commentary about the performance at the assessment centre, like, "Can imagine her in a police uniform", or, "Don't think the hat will suit his head shape". Maybe you should do a FoI request haha!!

Seriously though, even though I'm getting in, I am still dying with curiosity about the selection process, I doubt I will ever ever find out but keep on trying MGH!

Nice statement, it should be the tagline for IST!

Maybe the Consensia dudes write a wee commentary about the performance at the assessment centre, like, "Can imagine her in a police uniform", or, "Don't think the hat will suit his head shape". Maybe you should do a FoI request haha!!

Seriously though, even though I'm getting in, I am still dying with curiosity about the selection process, I doubt I will ever ever find out but keep on trying MGH!

I have a few theories about what they might be, trying to get clarity is the hard part!!!
    I'll keep you posted with developments ( if ever get any! )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 here's hoping

hi, this is my first time applying and i've read on here that it's good to get some 11+ practise papers. where do you get these now that the 11+ is no more?:confused:

Advertisement