Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

popolive wrote: »
    If I was to complain about anything it would be that unlike other exams I have sat in the past

1) There was no visible clock in the room

2) There was no warning 5 minutes before the vocal command to put down pencils.

Time seemed to fly by.

You're told in the invitation to the IST, that time management is down to each individual, I assume it's an active part if the assessment.

But we'll done it is hard to keep track of time as it does fly by, and it is easy to get bogged down in certain parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Well I did my IST. The crowd there seemed diverse and friendly. The pencils and rubber were of high quality.

If I was to complain about anything it would be that unlike other exams I have sat in the past

1) There was no visible clock in the room

2) There was no warning 5 minutes before the vocal command to put down pencils.

Time seemed to fly by.

I think these are part of the assessment i.e. can the candidate manage their own time effectively.

Also highlights the importance of good wristwatch to tell the time and not always relying on the phone.

Glad you found it ok; not long 'til the results come out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

Thanks I am just annoyed that I know I could have done better and actually prepared a lot better but I am sure I passed. I walked in without a care in the world, people in the queue to register were chatty, made sure I passed it but then relaxed too much and was cursing at myself for slowing down and not having time to even guess the last few answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Thanks I am just annoyed that I know I could have done better and actually prepared a lot better but I am sure I passed. I walked in without a care in the world, people in the queue to register were chatty, made sure I passed it but then relaxed too much and was cursing at myself for slowing down and not having time to even guess the last few answers.

Lol you're sounding very much like me lol!!! Last time round I seen her get up to call time and guessed the last 5 answers. No such luck this time :( not too long to wait I guess

Mop a top wrote: »
    Lol you're sounding very much like me lol!!! Last time round I seen her get up to call time and guessed the last 5 answers. No such luck this time :( not too long to wait I guess

I didnt even see her get up . I just heard a shriekkkkkk ''pencils down!'' out of nowhere and then what maybe you or someone else wrote about a person being booted out for not putting his pencil down immediately guilted me into behaving... then once the pencil was down ... if only my eyes could have lasered the boxes lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

I was thinking "it's not worth it, it's not worth it, put the god damned pencil down" lol

Mop a top wrote: »
    I was thinking "it's not worth it, it's not worth it, put the god damned pencil down" lol

I was thinking I passed, don't throw it all away now LOL... but was also thinking this is on my permanent record and I could have done better lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I did my IST recently, think I've blown it this time, could not get my heart into it this campaign, I guessed too many answers and ran out of time. It wasn't helped by everyone in my family being against me applying for the police, some for thinking of my safety and some for anti-police sentiment and I let it affect me this time!

Gutted is not a big enough word for me right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Goonerdee wrote: »
    I did my IST recently, think I've blown it this time, could not get my heart into it this campaign, I guessed too many answers and ran out of time. It wasn't helped by everyone in my family being against me applying for the police, some for thinking of my safety and some for anti-police sentiment and I let it affect me this time!

Gutted is not a big enough word for me right now!

It's not over until the fat lady sings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Timetravel wrote: »
    It's not over until the fat lady sings

I wont start exercising the vocal chords just yet. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Squishe92

Evening all. Just to revitalise a little! :)

All done with IST's?! I was one of the first to sit this time round; will be nice to get an answer soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Just got the pass e-mail.

AC very soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

Pass mark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Sthm wrote: »

Wow....bit of a drop then.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

still waiting on my pcs from last year

advancing to AC this year

same wait as last year, first few days of ISTs then a bit of a wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭monty46

Just got pass mail there... Hoping i wont need it as still in last years campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

Pass

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

I'm through! Ac very soon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

Through also, was hoping I wouldn't need it to be honest. Didn't get the score I expected, felt I did a lot better this time round but apparently not lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Graciehart

I'm not panicking at all here (.....frantically checking email every 30 seconds)

Congrats folks!!

Now for the endless refreshing of email until my result comes through :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭crinkley

Anyone get a fail one? Just wondering if pass go out first or what order, if there is any, that it goes in. It took my IST test ages to come through last time and I was on that first Saturday so not panicking yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Rj408

Guys what marks did you get if you don't mind me asking?

I also done mine quite early and have not got anything yet, clean bricking it here will be heart broken if I fail. I am wondering are they putting out the TOP pass marks for the early AC similiar to what they done last time? I know someone who done well in it and scored 60(ish) and got their email this afternoon...

Can't help but think I failed.....

Homer01 wrote: »
    Congrats folks!!

Now for the endless refreshing of email until my result comes through :eek:

You are not alone lol

Could be wrong but I think all the passes went out first the last time?

crinkley wrote: »
    Anyone get a fail one? Just wondering if pass go out first or what order, if there is any, that it goes in. It took my IST test ages to come through last time and I was on that first Saturday so not panicking yet

Last time was all passes for the first few days if I recall. Although that means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Pass, good luck everyone

Don't be surprised if they are sent out over the few weeks and we were told the 8th September....

They could be spacing them out so they don't have an AC disaster again

Pass woo hoo!

Plenty of emails to come folks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭crinkley

Just received now

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sgtsnowy

Pass! bobs your uncle

Got my email there passed. Got 57

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Rj408

PASSSED IT YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! So happy right now, good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭CDizzle

What was the pass mark last time, 53?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭0O0

CDizzle wrote: »
    What was the pass mark last time, 53?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 roboturnip

Email recieved. Scored 61, better that I thought. The first part let me down!

Good luck to everyone else receiving their emails!

0O0 wrote: »

Is it not 48? Was 51 last time.

roboturnip wrote: »
    Email recieved. Scored 61, better that I thought. The first part let me down!

Good luck to everyone else receiving their emails!

I got full marks on the first bit, same as last time on the last bit and dropped a few on the second part. Overall I'm a few points down from last year's result.

Still a pass is pass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gilz_2001

Passed! Got 59 so up on last year which is great! Have my AC two days after my fitness.... that will be a stressful week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

:( Was not expecting to see this today.

If it goes like last time, it will be pass emails today and fails tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Gee-22 wrote: »
    :( Was not expecting to see this today.

If it goes like last time, it will be pass emails today and fails tomorrow.

Still early Gee. They'll probably continue to send these over the next hour or so.

Still early Gee. They'll probably continue to send these over the next hour or so.

Hope you are right. After the last year or two I've found it hard to remain positive with the process. Time will tell.

Congrats to everyone who has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rockchick1989

Yeh my pass email last time arrived at 7.30! Still plenty of time.

Is it not 48? Was 51 last time.

Bitta skim reading - doh! Yes this campaign's 48, I was answering the qu of what it was last time :)

Hope you are right. After the last year or two I've found it hard to remain positive with the process. Time will tell.

Congrats to everyone who has passed.

I've said it before but it's not over to the fat lady sings!

0O0 wrote: »
    Bitta skim reading - doh! Yes this campaign's 48, I was answering the qu of what it was last time :)

lol, think I was the one skim reading. You were right; I just read the answer and not the question. Good job they didn't do that in the IST :eek:

Let's blame it on all the excitement of the early emails :D

Soooo am I right in thinking if I don't get a pass email today then I've failed? :-( gutted....

Graciehart wrote: »
    Soooo am I right in thinking if I don't get a pass email today then I've failed? :-( gutted....

That's how I'm looking at it. That's how it played out last time. But you never know.

That's how I'm looking at it. That's how it played out last time. But you never know.

Oh well....that's not the greatest news lol....next time perhaps although with the funding cuts it doesn't look like there will be a next time for a good few years!!

They gave Sept for results for a reason plus there's feck all anyone can do about their results now - what will be will be. I can imagine it's been gutting for ya but unless you're too old, there's still time.
    What did you score last campaign bud & was that a new IST format too?

• Advertisement
Advertisement