Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

Mop a top congrats man. knock their socks of at the interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Sorry to hear that lad.

Also to Mop A Top, indeed best of luck with the 'interview' (?) :p

Sorry to hear that lad.

Howd u get on lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Have medical in a few weeks!

Passed the IST, really en-truly it's a miracle! I was running on a few hours sleep when i sat it!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Queenie34

Just checked my emails to discover I've passed IST! Third time lucky I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

DC I tried to pm you back, delete some bloody messages lol ;) I'm quite buzzing about the AC now. Wasn't looking forward to the IST or the PCA lol, wait to you see, I'll get right round again to where I am now and then get a call from 2013 campaign lol!!!

Any looking to do courses for AC's I really wouldn't waste my time/money especially if you're from a customer service back ground. It's only my opinion but it felt very familiar to what they're looking for. Just saying, not looking for a back lash here lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭LG1985

Hey Everyone!!!

Im backkkkk!!! Hope everyone has been keepin well!!

Just a quick update .. I passed my IST this time but decided to wait until the nxt campaign again .. Need time to sort my head out etc .. So Good Luck to everyone goin to the AC .. U's will all be fabulous and to all those still waitin on the call - Hope ya's all hear soon!!!

xx

LG1985 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone!!!

Just a quick update .. I passed my IST this time but decided to wait until the nxt campaign again .. Need time to sort my head out etc .. So Good Luck to everyone goin to the AC .. U's will all be fabulous and to all those still waitin on the call - Hope ya's all hear soon!!!

xx

Lol you know my thoughts on this. Was at a wedding yesterday and didn't get a chance to pm you back. I'll send a wee one later xx

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gilz_2001

LG1985 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone!!!

xx

Hi LG, why don't you just go for the AC for the practice?? Seems a shame to pass IST and then not go any further and practice makes perfect even for the next time a campaign comes up :)

Lol Glitz that's what I reckon. Let's gang up on her and make her do it lmao!!!

• Advertisement

Aw u's do make me laugh!!

But sadly this time iv made up my mind .. The last campaign took way too much outa me physically and mentally and for the last month or so iv been in a really bad place ... So think i just need some time out!! :)

Question for people who have been in my situation before. As far as I am aware there were two campaigns within the last six months of each other. There was one in October last year and one in may. Do anyone know if that will be the same again this year or is that it for recruitment for the time being?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

Question for people who have been in my situation before. As far as I am aware there were two campaigns within the last six months of each other. There was one in October last year and one in may. Do anyone know if that will be the same again this year or is that it for recruitment for the time being?
    Don't think anyone will know the answer to that, was odd having 2 recruitments overlapping/so close to one another. All depends on the shape of PSNIs budget for the next x years

They used to do it quite a bit. I know of someone who was in 3 campaigns at one time. Don't know how they coped. I think 2 is bad enough lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Given all these budget cuts I'll be happy if they finish these two first.

There is talk of a campaign in January 2015.

So thats it for me then. Im givin up on becoming a police officer. Not worth the hassle anymore. besta luck to everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

So thats it for me then. Im givin up on becoming a police officer. Not worth the hassle anymore. besta luck to everyone else.

Well, you know what they say. 'If at 1st you don't succeed...., give up'.

Dekkers wrote: »
    Well, you know what they say. 'If at 1st you don't succeed...., give up'.

Givin up for the moment lad. Theres no opportunity for me to do it here in the near future so im gonna try something else for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭0O0

People who really truly want it, have been applying & getting the door slammed in their face for YEARS & are still trying to live the dream they've wanted from being little kids.

Your ability to just throw it away gives the impression that it might not have been for you anyway.

Good luck in whatever you choose next kid :)

• Advertisement

No man you are wrong actually. I want it really badly. I applied for the gardai when i was just finishing school. I was through to medical pending my leaving cert results when the mortorium came in. I have been in the reserve for quite a number of years and i do enjoy it but i feel it is time for me to move on. I got through to stage 2 of the garda recruitment but didnt get selected for stage 3. Im on hold with it at the moment and i really dont know if i will ever get a real chance with the garda. I felt i did well in the IST but was 2 points short of the Assessment Centre.
    Since completing college and doing my masters, having seen other people in my course heading off and travelling around the world, some to the states, some to austrailla, new zealand, dubai, Korea etc, i starting to think maybe i want to get out of ireland for a bit and do some travelling.
    Its not that im being pessismistic or anything i kind of want to experience more now. Im tired of seeing the same place, doing the same job, drinking in the same nightclub. I want to experience something different. Its that simple. I just need a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭0O0

No man you are wrong actually. I want it really badly. I applied for the gardai when i was just finishing school. I was through to medical pending my leaving cert results when the mortorium came in. I have been in the reserve for quite a number of years and i do enjoy it but i feel it is time for me to move on. I got through to stage 2 of the garda recruitment but didnt get selected for stage 3. Im on hold with it at the moment and i really dont know if i will ever get a real chance with the garda. I felt i did well in the IST but was 2 points short of the Assessment Centre.
    Since completing college and doing my masters, having seen other people in my course heading off and travelling around the world, some to the states, some to austrailla, new zealand, dubai, Korea etc, i starting to think maybe i want to get out of ireland for a bit and do some travelling.
    Its not that im being pessismistic or anything i kind of want to experience more now. Im tired of seeing the same place, doing the same job, drinking in the same nightclub. I want to experience something different. Its that simple. I just need a break.

As I said really good luck with what you do next - as Mop's (and unofficial thread's) wee mantra goes 'if it's meant for you, it won't pass you!'

I can see wannabegard's point .. Iv decided to sit this campaign out aswel and trust me this is the ONLY career iv ever wanted .. I just found myself in a very bad place after not gettin the PCA and dont wanna put myself thru it again so soon .. Its nothin to do with not wantin the career as alot of folks know on here how much i wanted it and how gutted i was to see "Fail" on my letter (which isnt the correct way of wording either - should be unsucessful)

As our Lovely Mop does say "Whats meant for ya wont pass ya" and when the time is right everything in life will fall into place!! :)

My mantra seems to be biting me in the ass lol :-/

Hi, wondering if anyone could give me some advice. Was just sorting through my certificates. With regards to the GCSE english requirement I noticed that on my certificate it says GCSE English and not english language. Im a bit confused, my english is a GCSE but it doesn't say English language. Are these two different subjects? Maybe someone could shed some light on this....please!

Same thing. Mine only says English and it was accepted last time round. Might depend on which examination board your school used whether is classed as English or English language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Simplybe86

Hi, new to site! Have my ist on wed! Advice? Please I'm so nervous! Thanks

Simplybe86 wrote: »
    Hi, new to site! Have my ist on wed! Advice? Please I'm so nervous! Thanks
    Stay calm. There are a lot of questions for the time provided so work quickly and accuratley using your time wisely.

You don't get a warning on time either. It's literally a pencils down shout. Stupid question for you, how are you doing it on Wednesday when we've got our results?

Mop a top wrote: »
    You don't get a warning on time either. It's literally a pencils down shout. Stupid question for you, how are you doing it on Wednesday when we've got our results?
    The ISTs that need reasonable adjustments are on wed AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Queenie34 wrote: »
    Hi, wondering if anyone could give me some advice. Was just sorting through my certificates. With regards to the GCSE english requirement I noticed that on my certificate it says GCSE English and not english language. Im a bit confused, my english is a GCSE but it doesn't say English language. Are these two different subjects? Maybe someone could shed some light on this....please!

Think that GCSE English or English Language are the same thing. Language is sometimes used to tell the difference between that and English Literature.

• Advertisement

Ah right. Thought Deloitte would have had them done last but before results. Not fair waiting this long then even longer for results :(

A lot of questions? I thought there was just 3 parts? Eek! Yea they said to bring a timer but I'm not even sure how much time I get! What is the pass rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rockchick1989

Simplybe86 wrote: »
    A lot of questions? I thought there was just 3 parts? Eek! Yea they said to bring a timer but I'm not even sure how much time I get! What is the pass rate?

Each section has a different amount of questions. Don't panic. Just. Work your way through it. If you get stuck just move on to the next one.

Yeah there's 3 parts. First is a passage with 20 spelling grammar mistakes you have to find. 2nd is a true, false, can't tell, you get a short passage to read then about 5 statements relating to the passage and you decide if it's T/F/CT, think there's about 5 passages, hopefully someone will remember better than me. The the data card is packed with info and there's about 30 questions on it, just read the questions correctly, I didn't get the last 5 on this but I got a perfect score on what I did answer this time round cos I wasn't panicking as much lol. No point giving you times cos I know you get longer. Try not to get worked up, easier said than done I know lol!! x

Same thing. Mine only says English and it was accepted last time round. Might depend on which examination board your school used whether is classed as English or English language.

Thanks for that Mop a top. Was really starting to panic, its been that long since I've done my GCSEs I was starting to doubt my qualifications lol.

Timetravel wrote: »
    Think that GCSE English or English Language are the same thing. Language is sometimes used to tell the difference between that and English Literature.

Thanks Timetravel. Yeah I think they are the same! So happy to get to AC that I dont want to be turned at the door for no english lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I was reading the bit on English, there is English Language and English Talking and Listening, one of the questions was the person got a C in talking and Listening but a D in language and the PSNI said that was not enough as it was language that needed the C, I freaked out thinking that was what I got, but I got a C in English and a D in Talking and listening.

I also noticed it said a level 2 qual in Communication was an equivalent, I have that also and I am going to photocopy it and take it along as well.

Yeah there's 3 parts. First is a passage with 20 spelling grammar mistakes you have to find. 2nd is a true, false, can't tell, you get a short passage to read then about 5 statements relating to the passage and you decide if it's T/F/CT, think there's about 5 passages, hopefully someone will remember better than me. The the data card is packed with info and there's about 30 questions on it, just read the questions correctly, I didn't get the last 5 on this but I got a perfect score on what I did answer this time round cos I wasn't panicking as much lol. No point giving you times cos I know you get longer. Try not to get worked up, easier said than done I know lol!! x

Thanks that's great, I like to b prepared! Is there anyone else on here due to go on wed? I had a friend do.it and she said that you are expected to answer them all, just make sure what you do answer is right! Lol X

Goonerdee wrote: »
    I was reading the bit on English, there is English Language and English Talking and Listening, one of the questions was the person got a C in talking and Listening but a D in language and the PSNI said that was not enough as it was language that needed the C, I freaked out thinking that was what I got, but I got a C in English and a D in Talking and listening.

I also noticed it said a level 2 qual in Communication was an equivalent, I have that also and I am going to photocopy it and take it along as well.

Hi Goonerdee, to make life easy I would just show the level 2 Key skills Communication as this clearly shows that its accepted on their comparison table. Good luck with everything!

Apologies for posting this stupid question on this forum. I know its not relevant to the PSNI, FOr the mainland police services. Do you definatly, 100 percent have to be a resident in the UK before you apply for any other forces. They have made it clear on the London Met site, but not so clear on the west midlands website. Dont want to submit anything unless this is the case. Im filling out an application for scotland (im an irish citizen btw)

• Advertisement

Apologies for posting this stupid question on this forum. I know its not relevant to the PSNI, FOr the mainland police services. Do you definatly, 100 percent have to be a resident in the UK before you apply for any other forces. They have made it clear on the London Met site, but not so clear on the west midlands website. Dont want to submit anything unless this is the case. Im filling out an application for scotland (im an irish citizen btw)

I think this is a question that has been asked a thousand times, to be honest, I don't think you will know until you send it off. Good luck with the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

I think your ok with police Scotland but check their guidance for applicants.

ZeGerman wrote: »
    I think your ok with police Scotland but check their guidance for applicants.
    From the scottish police website
    "only applications from British citizens, EU/EEA nationals, Commonwealth citizens, or foreign nationals with indefinite leave to remain in the UK will be accepted. You should also have been resident in the UK for a minimum of three years immediately prior to application. In certain circumstances it is possible for a minimum residency period for vetting to be waived. However this can only be done where it is possible to make, or confirm, in the relevant jurisdictions with Law Enforcement and National Security bodies, which are equivalent, and of a similar standard, to enquiries which would be made in the UK, on both the applicant and all family members and associates. In cases where it is not possible to make the equivalent checks, the residency criterion will be stringently enforced."[/I]

As far as i can tell i need to be living in the uk for three years. Also The website states i need a Uk driving licence. I dont think im eligable for this. COuld you pm me what you think when you see this because i dont want to be clogging up the forum anymore then i already have.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭crinkley

As far as i can tell i need to be living in the uk for three years. Also The website states i need a Uk driving licence. I dont think im eligable for this. COuld you pm me what you think when you see this because i dont want to be clogging up the forum anymore then i already have.
    Thanks

The licence part is easy, you can convert your Irish one into a UK one, I did as it saved me a fortune on insurance, there are downsides such as not being able to drive anything bigger than a car or not being allowed a trailer.

From the scottish police website
    "only applications from British citizens, EU/EEA nationals, Commonwealth citizens, or foreign nationals with indefinite leave to remain in the UK will be accepted. You should also have been resident in the UK for a minimum of three years immediately prior to application. In certain circumstances it is possible for a minimum residency period for vetting to be waived. However this can only be done where it is possible to make, or confirm, in the relevant jurisdictions with Law Enforcement and National Security bodies, which are equivalent, and of a similar standard, to enquiries which would be made in the UK, on both the applicant and all family members and associates. In cases where it is not possible to make the equivalent checks, the residency criterion will be stringently enforced."[/I]

Thanks

It said the minimum residence could be reviewed depending on which country you are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

I can say that you have to wait 12 months from applying to apply for Scotland as I did this once I missed out within campaign 1 and submitted my application and they said that I would have to wait and gave me the exact date I could resubmit my application for police scotland which was exactly 12 months, it sucks, but that's their policy.

However MOD police are actively recruiting and you do not have to wait at all only if you have failed a English/Welsh police assessment you have to wait 6 months however PSNI your okay to apply whenever as I contacted them before this campaign had opened for applications, MOD is all hand written and they invite you to a 2 day assessment in England where you would complete an entrance test and physical too while you are there, they are quite quick.

Standard time from applying to start is 6 months, they are mainly looking officers for Scotland MOD that is I know a fella who didn't get his IST last campaign for PSNI but is now finishing off his MOD police training. Also you can transfer too from MOD just in case anyone is wondering. Just some info as I have looked at certain avenues myself too :)

Nice to see your posting again highbury. Looked at MOD police myself looks like interesting stuff!

Are you through to AC for PSNI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Timetravel wrote: »
    Nice to see your posting again highbury. Looked at MOD police myself looks like interesting stuff!

Are you through to AC for PSNI?

And you TT, yeah I'm through :) yeah I sorta looked at various options just to know what avenues I could venture down in regards to policing. I was even looking at courses here for the CKIP qualification, for the likes of the met, and the Open University of all places in Belfast actually conduct the exams and offer the learning material, 600 pound for a piece of paper but it's something I've been pondering lol, at the moment though focus is for October, and putting the game face on for the AC :)

Good stuff I've been trying to get other options going too, never good to have all the eggs in one basket I think! Looked at the CKIP too but decided against it!

I'm up then too our paths might cross lol did you score well on IST? Really happy to be through to AC!

• Advertisement

I can say that you have to wait 12 months from applying to apply for Scotland as I did this once I missed out within campaign 1 and submitted my application and they said that I would have to wait and gave me the exact date I could resubmit my application for police scotland which was exactly 12 months, it sucks, but that's their policy.

However MOD police are actively recruiting and you do not have to wait at all only if you have failed a English/Welsh police assessment you have to wait 6 months however PSNI your okay to apply whenever as I contacted them before this campaign had opened for applications, MOD is all hand written and they invite you to a 2 day assessment in England where you would complete an entrance test and physical too while you are there, they are quite quick.

Standard time from applying to start is 6 months, they are mainly looking officers for Scotland MOD that is I know a fella who didn't get his IST last campaign for PSNI but is now finishing off his MOD police training. Also you can transfer too from MOD just in case anyone is wondering. Just some info as I have looked at certain avenues myself too :)
    Cheers mate. Im not eligable for MOD cause im not living in the UK im Irish and living in the republic of ireland. They are very strict there. I checked with them and its a definate no. Thanks thou

Advertisement