Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

hi, this is my first time applying and i've read on here that it's good to get some 11+ practise papers. where do you get these now that the 11+ is no more?:confused:

P7 teachers should have old copies, thats were I got mine from but that said,they were a friend of a friend so I dont know how accomodating some might be - but its worth asking. You did use to be able to get Verbal Reasoning practice books for the transfer test which might be an avenue to explore, if they are still in print.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 here's hoping

thanks very much, i'll start begging asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

thanks very much, i'll start begging asap!

Best of luck:D
    OOh the clock is counting down....yoikes!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bet0409

hi, this is my first time applying and i've read on here that it's good to get some 11+ practise papers. where do you get these now that the 11+ is no more?:confused:

If you google search 11 plus sample papers a few come up. Belfast telegraph used to publish sample papers, I remember tryinga few, but not sure how you would get them, might be worthwhile contacting them to see if they can give you a link or post some out? Might be a long shot, dunno. If you google search aptitude tests or psychometric tests you will get a good few links for sample papers and tests, and there are a few books on amazon (search under books section for 'police test') if you can afford a few quid. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Got my date for thr exam. Thought it would never get here, then i got 2 letters with the same info on it :)

• Advertisement

bet0409 wrote: »
    If you google search 11 plus sample papers a few come up. Belfast telegraph used to publish sample papers, I remember tryinga few, but not sure how you would get them, might be worthwhile contacting them to see if they can give you a link or post some out? Might be a long shot, dunno. If you google search aptitude tests or psychometric tests you will get a good few links for sample papers and tests, and there are a few books on amazon (search under books section for 'police test') if you can afford a few quid. Good luck!
    thanks for the advice, i'll give it a try. between loosing weight, getting fit, doing 11+ exams and everything else in between it's a days work applying for this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

I finally got my ist date today,11th of may bright and early,im pretty sure I asked for an evening test but they've given me plenty of notice so all should be good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DC Dibble

Got my test date today, 5th May. Some serious practise papers to be done now

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭emz2009

Hey Everyone! How are you all doing?
    This is also my first time applying *fingers crossed* Only completed the application a few days ago so still so word back! Just popping on to wish you all luck on the process! Have been searching online for some aplitude tests as ive completed those on the recruitment site and looking for some more anyone have any useful links?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Jill77

Only applied on Saturday and got my IST date today for 3rd week in April! Can't understand why mine is so quick! Less time to get nervous I suppose...

• Advertisement

i keep reading about merit scores and haven't a clue what it means, i would really appreciate it if one of you much more knowledgeable people could enlighten me.
    is your ist score part of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dark side

I've been looking at numerical reasoning questions on the internet - and I'm getting seriously freaked out - but in all the practice tests it says you can use a calculator - I know that we can't in the IST - which makes me think that the IST questions can't be as difficult as these practice ones - cause I've tried them and I'd say some are very hard without a calculator

Could someone who has sat the IST before take a quick look at these examples and let me know if these are along the same line with regards to difficulty? - I'm hoping they aren't else my math is 20 times worse than I originaly thought :confused:

http://www.assessmentday.co.uk/aptitudetests_numerical.htm

Thanks alot

dark side wrote: »
    I've been looking at numerical reasoning questions on the internet - and I'm getting seriously freaked out - but in all the practice tests it says you can use a calculator - I know that we can't in the IST - which makes me think that the IST questions can't be as difficult as these practice ones - cause I've tried them and I'd say some are very hard without a calculator

Could someone who has sat the IST before take a quick look at these examples and let me know if these are along the same line with regards to difficulty? - I'm hoping they aren't else my math is 20 times worse than I originaly thought :confused:

http://www.assessmentday.co.uk/aptitudetests_numerical.htm

Thanks alot

Its been a couple of years since i've done it but they look a similar level to me from what I can remember....not too much i can see on there that you couldn't do with a pen and paper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dark side

Jill77 wrote: »
    Its been a couple of years since i've done it but they look a similar level to me from what I can remember....not too much i can see on there that you couldn't do with a pen and paper...

Cheers for that Jill77 - you've put my mind at rest - I'll just have to get my head down and practice

dark side wrote: »
    Cheers for that Jill77 - you've put my mind at rest - I'll just have to get my head down and practice

Yeah me too! I'm ok with those kind of graphs etc but number sequences or those ones that go Jill is taller than Jack who is fatter than Amy who is thicker than Bob, who's Jill's da? They totally get me :D

Stupid question no doubt here...what do you wear to the IST?? :D I know I should be worrying about brushing up on the old maths skills and all but I have a wile bad habit for over dressing! I think I can remember reading it said no dress code on the letter but I do like to look good and make a good impression, wether it matters or not! Smart casual? I'm going to be coming from work so wont really have time to change... I really do have so much more important things to be thinking about right now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 everhopefull

Oh nooooo!
    I just did one of those tests and only got half of them right! and most of them werent actually accurate...but more like eduacted guesses.
    Should i just give up now?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 everhopefull

educated,... i meant educated. :o

How educated am I?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

You're safe enough going to your IST in jeans and a t-shirt. I have been twice before and people who wear suits look out of place. Last time there was a post man there, obviously he had sneaked away from work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭nickni

You're safe enough going to your IST in jeans and a t-shirt. I have been twice before and people who wear suits look out of place. Last time there was a post man there, obviously he had sneaked away from work!!

Anytime i went to an IST (all seven of them :eek::p) I always wore jeans and tshirt/shirt, I would say thats what about 90% of people at mine were wearing, as PYG said there were some people at mine in work uniforms etc and only a couple in suits...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Che75

It says the IST will take roughly an hour and a half overall. Does that mean there will be more types of test included other than the critical verbal reasoning and data-based numeracy test that appears on the official practise sheet?

Che75 wrote: »
    It says the IST will take roughly an hour and a half overall. Does that mean there will be more types of test included other than the critical verbal reasoning and data-based numeracy test that appears on the official practise sheet?

I was wondering that myself, the 2 tests alone can't take an hour and a half surely unless you get tea breaks in the middle :D:D Does anyone know how long the IST lasted in previous years? Sounds a long time but I'm sure that hour and a half will fly by!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Bifbert

yeah i was also wondering whether or not there is more parts to the IST other than critical reasoning and numeracy. can anyone answer this? One more question as well, can you leave if you have finished before the time is up? Not that i really want to as i will be checking over and over. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭emz2009

:)
    I was wondering thia myself... I read somewhere on here they were thinking of maybe adding grammar to the test this time but theres no indication of it on the practise papers... id just prepare for anything that they might be able to throw at you... there is loads of suggestions to get the old grey matter working... I have been searching sites for aplitude tests and just doing all versions of them... I dont know what it is about this aplitude test coming up but im extremley nervous i have passed tests like this before but because i wasnt too bothered whether id pass or not i didnt really care ... now that this is something id really love to do ... im so nervous lol!

Folks I looked back at my IST invitation letter from C14 and it said the IST would last approx. 1.5 hours. Looks like nothing has changed!

The tests themselves dont take that long but reading out instructions, handing out tests and collecting them back in takes up quite a bit of time!

Can i just ask another simple question. On the letter it says " please bring this letter and valid id e.g: driving licence passport." It doesn't say bring a pen/pencil. Im assuming you will be issued these at the start of the IST? Or do you have to bring your own even though it doesn't say? I know stupid, trivial question but i don't want to turn up and be the only prat with nothing to write with. thank you

Bifbert wrote: »
    Can i just ask another simple question. On the letter it says " please bring this letter and valid id e.g: driving licence passport." It doesn't say bring a pen/pencil. Im assuming you will be issued these at the start of the IST? Or do you have to bring your own even though it doesn't say? I know stupid, trivial question but i don't want to turn up and be the only prat with nothing to write with. thank you

Dont worry I was the same first time around. They supply the pencils, rubbers and rough working out paper

Dont worry I was the same first time around. They supply the pencils, rubbers and rough working out paper

cheers thanks for clearing that up :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cliffy33

Hey just wondering if someone worked in psni for a few years would it be a good thing to get into the guards?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bettypico

hi!! i am new here, sorry if i make any mistake...
    i have my IST on the 21st!!! I am really nervous......any tip or advice??

Advertisement