Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭nickni

Believe me i know how you all feel, i done it seven times :eek: lol but the feeling when you get the call makes all the waiting for results, vetting, etc worth while ;)

BTW good luck to everyone doing their IST's for C15

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭emz2009

alrite emz did you get the entire paper finished?

only due to the no negative marking rule!! :D what about yourself there was alot there this evening wasn't there!

Cheers. But honestly. Youve always think youve done worse than you actually have. I was really relaxed about it up until I was told about how long vetting could take. Im not very good at waiting at all. Keep on here for support or simply if youre freakin out. Good auld bunch in the same position as yourself. I saw ppl posting theyd got in and it spurred me on. They come back the odd time too.. And of course when you get your good news back about progressing to the next stage.

How long have you been waiting so far? Ita great to see others on the board getting through when i first joined i read nearly every thread there was getting all the info and you could see how some peoples were moving along to the next stage then the next then into gv itself - def keeps you going knowing others are in the same position and do get somewere .. even if it takes a decade getting there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

emz2009 wrote: »
    only due to the no negative marking rule!! :D what about yourself there was alot there this evening wasn't there!

havent had the pleasure of doing it yet, mine is next weekend. dne the practice test from the website a couple of times in between doing three bits of coursework. brain drain. still cant believe thats true tho about the no negative marking il set an alarm for 10 seconds left :D

nickni wrote: »
    Believe me i know how you all feel, i done it seven times :eek: lol but the feeling when you get the call makes all the waiting for results, vetting, etc worth while ;)

BTW good luck to everyone doing their IST's for C15

lol that just made my day!! Glad all your hard work paid of!!! WELL DONE :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Bifbert

lol. having difficulty determining some things on here. some things you just cant tell>:p
    Think il go ahead with it anyway maybe be a bit o help later if im lucky! how many people do you think make it to the acs out of the 9000?

I was also wondering how many approximately make it through to the AC? Can anyone make an educated guess or know the figures? Thank you and good luck to everyone, Im really looking forward to getting results now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭RoscoPColtrane

how many people do you think make it to the acs out of the 9000?[/quote]

Ill hazzard a guess and say that PSNI or MGH is best placed to answer this. Could be anyones guess this depending on who attains the pass mark. Simple answer - dunno.

.... even if it takes a decade getting there![/quote]

A decade???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 everhopefull

I did mine today too!! It was awful. Even though i was prepared for it being hard and knew to be careful about running out of time, i still ran out of time!
    I'm glad its over but im really not hopeful at all.
    I didnt get the 1st part finished and guessed a whole load of others in the 2nd part.
    feck it anyways :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

how many people do you think make it to the acs out of the 9000?

Sorry I dont know either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Jill77

Well based on that document that was posted on here which had the stats for earlier campaigns, it said on average 60% of people who are invited for IST turn up and then on average 60% of those people will pass. So based on those figures, I reckon maybe 3240 get through to AC.

However not sure how much really can be based around that given the change in political circumstances etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

Sorry I dont know either!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KTFoMJi3uE

dont know much about IST, dont know much about A.C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 blackregulus

Mornin' All,

First time here so hello to everyone. Have been reading this forum for a while and have found it to be most informative and even supportive during those all too familiar moments of quiet dread :-)

I've just taken the IST. In truth, found it much tougher than the practice questions on the site and, alas, failed to complete the second part...maybe only 22 questions...Anyway, the earlier post about a 60% pass rate has, once more, brought hope into my heart...there was me thinkin' it was only a 5% chosen few who proceeded to the AC but, who knows, maybe I'm still in with a shot.

Once again, a big hello and good luck to all those intending to take their IST. My only advice is not to linger on any tricky questions and do a little cherry picking first (I hope I'm allowed to say this PSNI) :-)

.... even if it takes a decade getting there!

A decade???????[/quote]

aye it must feel like it to some people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

Good luck to everyone going for their IST soon!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Che75

Dont know much about IST, Don't much about policing sociology,
    Dont know much about Role-play scenario, Don't know much about psychology, But I do know that I love you and I know that if you love me too, What a wonderful province it would be...

Che75 wrote: »
    Dont know much about Role-play scenario, Don't know much about psychology, But I do know that I love you and I know that if you love me too, What a wonderful province it would be...

Aw. I could cry........

LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭PEGGYSUE'S MAMA

i have my ist the morra, cannot be arsed going through all of this guff, again!!!!!!:mad:

i have my ist the morra, cannot be arsed going through all of this guff, again!!!!!!:mad:

FFS. You an me both sista. But the biggest worry is FAILING. Ive got an arse on. BIG TIME. :mad:

• Advertisement

i will admit to not doing any preparation, i didn't last year and i did ok:eek: guaranteed to make a hash of this one.... this is actually my fourth fookin time doing this bloody thing.... have also done one for mod, police ombudsman, translink, ulster bank.... ya think am well practiced enough????

i will admit to not doing any preparation, i didn't last year and i did ok:eek: guaranteed to make a hash of this one.... this is actually my fourth fookin time doing this bloody thing.... have also done one for mod, police ombudsman, translink, ulster bank.... ya think am well practiced enough????

You'll be fine. I was soooo much more relaxed this year cos I knew what I was facing and wasnt like a deer trapped in the headlights like I was last year!!

Hope I've done enough to pass though.

Anyway, you've your medical to look forward to, I think C14 is yours for the taking :D

good luck :D hopefully PS will come n munch it all up if you do poor!!! superdog

smyff wrote: »
    good luck :D hopefully PS will come n munch it all up if you do poor!!! superdog

she does have a cape!!!! it's navy with stars! she tries to eat it though so it is hidden away, she goes buck daft when she spies it.... tug of war with a labrador, who needs the push-pull test!

You'll be fine. I was soooo much more relaxed this year cos I knew what I was facing and wasnt like a deer trapped in the headlights like I was last year!!

Hope I've done enough to pass though.

Anyway, you've your medical to look forward to, I think C14 is yours for the taking :D

What are ye on about missus? C14 i was like.... where do I sign? Brought me down a peg or five I can tell ye. Not so cocky now. Im prepared with nuclear missiles this time. In the form of books and knowledge. Im shoooting for no 1 this time around. Knowledge is power...............MMMMMMAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

she does have a cape!!!! it's navy with stars! she tries to eat it though so it is hidden away, she goes buck daft when she spies it.... tug of war with a labrador, who needs the push-pull test!
    hahahahahhaha. does she have her startled face on her when she scopes it:D

ist done and dusted today..... thought the first bit was easy enough, i have found the knack to dealing with those passage thingymabobs! sadly the second part, well fook me, what a mindf**k, tooooo much info to sift thru, i reckon i guessed at least 12 answers, that ain't so good. well i passed last year, am hoping i do again (considering it was exactly the same sodding test! probably shouldn't say that, MODS feel free to edit!):D

ist done and dusted today..... thought the first bit was easy enough, i have found the knack to dealing with those passage thingymabobs! sadly the second part, well fook me, what a mindf**k, tooooo much info to sift thru, i reckon i guessed at least 12 answers, that ain't so good. well i passed last year, am hoping i do again (considering it was exactly the same sodding test! probably shouldn't say that, MODS feel free to edit!):D

seriously? same as last years thats prob why there are no past papers! mines next week, cant wait to get it over with now! twelve doesnt seem so bad i sort of pictured my self guesing loads due to the whole time thing. what the knack to doin the passage bits then! how much info are we talking about for the maths then?:confused:

read the statements first then scan and pick out the bits you need from the passage and decide T, F, CT. so much easier than reading and rereading the passage again and again for each question.

maths bit, well there is a lot to take in from the data card in such a short space of time. cross referencing is hard when it is being done against the clock. do not get stuck on a question for too long, if you can't get the answer, hazard a guess and move on. hopefully some of my guesses are right!!!!

am disappointed, did a quick head count when we were all seated, where are all the lady-wannabe-coppers!!!!!

Cheers that sounds like a pretty good idea think il do a practice run on the print out again in between doin coursework its been a while so hopefully wont remember the answers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Papa Charlie

Well thats c15 over for me:mad: Had my ist today and the english was handy enough although i ran out of time 4 questions before the end,looked at my stopwatch and thought right il try one last question then il guess the rest then it "was pencils down" ahhhhhhhh.

The maths part was shocking and I mean shocking,last 4 questions guessed and 4 i thought i could get back to but of course "pencils down". The only way I am going to pass is if they lower the pass mark to 30 odd percent!! Im really gutted because a year is a long time but I suppose it gives me time to get up to the level of fitness i want.

If there is a chance that the maths part of the exam could be the same next year I am honestly goin to fail again,even if I got all the english right I still dont think I could pass :eek:

I find it hard to believe that 40% of people who apply don't show up for the IST according to the stats someone posted a few pages back. Seems a little too high a figure. However, I imagine they do pass up to 60% of IST takers given that the assessment centre is a more thorough test of one's potential policing capabilities. To pass only, say, 5 or 10% from the ISTs would ensure you have some of the best Psychometric test students on the Island but not necessarily the best police recruits. Am I being too philosophical??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Papa Charlie

Your my new best mate! Seriously though I done alot of prep work and to be honest it really didnt help at all,just made my counting slightly quicker,i dont know how you are supposed to prepare for what I done today except freeze time for an hour while I have a good read over the info!!!

read the statements first then scan and pick out the bits you need from the passage and decide T, F, CT. so much easier than reading and rereading the passage again and again for each question.

maths bit, well there is a lot to take in from the data card in such a short space of time. cross referencing is hard when it is being done against the clock. do not get stuck on a question for too long, if you can't get the answer, hazard a guess and move on. hopefully some of my guesses are right!!!!

am disappointed, did a quick head count when we were all seated, where are all the lady-wannabe-coppers!!!!!
    I'm sure you did okay!!!!

About a fifth of my test was female. And there was ZERO in the way of male talent. Tres disappointing!

?? I was sure I caught you checking me out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

I'm sure you did okay!!!!

About a fifth of my test was female. And there was ZERO in the way of male talent. Tres disappointing!

If I had to reapply and I was in your IST it would have been a different story girl!!!;):D

integra1 wrote: »
    If I had to reapply and I was in your IST it would have been a different story girl!!!;):D
    :eek:;)
    saucy devil!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bigandy1983

hope u's have all had a good weekend!

can anyone tell me, for the english part, what the difference is between the practice papers and the actual test?

is it the length of the passages or what is it? whats the timing like too?

no rea difference betw practice and real thing apart from the actual exam ones being a bit more taxing. you have 20mins to answer 48 questions, i you have read one of my above posts about reading statements before passages, it def saves a good bit of time.... trust me this is the 4th time i have done this for the psni, never mind other places!!!!!

it's the maths/data thing that i hate, end up wrappin my brain up in knots! it's quite hard unless you have a brain that's actually a computer spreadsheet or something!

good luck with your exam whenever it is!:D

• Advertisement

no rea difference betw practice and real thing apart from the actual exam ones being a bit more taxing. you have 20mins to answer 48 questions, i you have read one of my above posts about reading statements before passages, it def saves a good bit of time.... trust me this is the 4th time i have done this for the psni, never mind other places!!!!!

it's the maths/data thing that i hate, end up wrappin my brain up in knots! it's quite hard unless you have a brain that's actually a computer spreadsheet or something!

good luck with your exam whenever it is!:D

cool - thanks for letting me know!

thats good news anyhow - i've looked at some t / f / ct style questions on the internet and in practise books i found in a bookshop. they can be very ambiguous (and inconsistent in terms of answers) whereas, i think the psni practise tests seem more logical (although 48 in 20 is insane). thankfully i'm ok at math so fingers crossed! good luck to you also my friend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Slave_To_Sound

The second part isnt really about being good at maths although that helps of course, Its more about being able to use tables of information and putting together the information to answer a question. For example you could be asked how much something is for a week and on quickly looking at the data you might think its simply x by 7 but you also have to figure out extremely quickly if there are discounts for the dates given etc.. so its really more to do with processing lots of data than maths.
    Hope this makes sense and helps people prepare because i practiced loads of maths questions out of the police selection book and my time would have been better spent practicing tables and spreadsheet type questions.

Hope i havent said anything i shouldnt have mods feel free to edit.
    Oh the answer to 37 is E lol

The second part isnt really about being good at maths although that helps of course, Its more about being able to use tables of information and putting together the information to answer a question. For example you could be asked how much something is for a week and on quickly looking at the data you might think its simply x by 7 but you also have to figure out extremely quickly if there are discounts for the dates given etc.. so its really more to do with processing lots of data than maths.
    Hope this makes sense and helps people prepare because i practiced loads of maths questions out of the police selection book and my time would have been better spent practicing tables and spreadsheet type questions.

Hope i havent said anything i shouldnt have mods feel free to edit.
    Oh the answer to 37 is E lol

Thats really helpful - thanks v much. I think the practising math probably is good in respect of making your brain work faster but as you say, this isn't the same as processing information from tables and charts etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 overseas

Just did the IST yesterday, theres no way you could complete the maths parts in the time given unless you are a genius at data interpretation. Ive done similar tests in eneglish forces and they were nothing like that. But ah well we are all in the same boat i suppose which makes it fair!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Troy Bayliss

Did the IST at weekend, certainly not easy by any stretch. They should change it every time which I think is now only yearly? Does anyone know if it has a floating pass mark because it has varied from 50/52 before. If you think thats tough you should try the graduate entry for the nics,floating pass mark and only top 5% go on,3 hour tests 11000 apply for 20 jobs max

Be a small bit mindful about your id and the when and where of your psni appointments. Sounds a bit cagey but they say it's for the best. You can slag me off though, that's a given...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

Be a small bit mindful about your id and the when and where of your psni appointments. Sounds a bit cagey but they say it's for the best. You can slag me off though, that's a given...

All i would say is keep reading the boards there is alot of advice and help on here for you ps good luck with your IST;)

Did the IST at weekend, certainly not easy by any stretch. They should change it every time which I think is now only yearly? Does anyone know if it has a floating pass mark because it has varied from 50/52 before. If you think thats tough you should try the graduate entry for the nics,floating pass mark and only top 5% go on,3 hour tests 11000 apply for 20 jobs max

Strictly speaking, I don't think there's a floating pass mark as such mate - however last year it was reduced by 2 because so few people got through. In light of the fact there are almost 10,000 applicants this year, I would be surprised if more than 25% are taken through to the next stage so the pass mark is probably set with that in mind (and can be changed if too many / too little get through).

Those are just my thoughts anyhow, which may be a load of rubbish!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 valetudo

How do you know the pass mark was reduced? Did people get a rejection letter, then get an acceptance letter last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

valetudo wrote: »
    How do you know the pass mark was reduced? Did people get a rejection letter, then get an acceptance letter last year?

A few on the forum originally were sent a letter saying they had failed the IST. Then a short time later were sent a second letter saying that the pass mark had been lowered and that they could now progress to the AC.

This didnt happen to me so forgive me if im wrong but thats my take on what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Troy Bayliss

Thanks for the info,the pass mark moved a while back and a few years back you got your mark and pass requirement instead of a pass/fail as is now. Anyway goodluck to everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement