Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 2 - The Assessment Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭MissJC13

Rj408 wrote: »
    You should have a long hard think about this, your stuck between a rock and a hard place as such but if you are through to the AC you have arguably jumped through the biggest hoop... its your call. I would take the time off work in a heart beat, my current job were faffing about giving me the time off work and I just going to call in sick but they changed their tunes....

Would you take the time off if you knew for a fact that was your job is gone when you do? Because that's where I'm at :(
    Self employed , they don't have to give notice of dismissal and they won't, as soon as I screw them over on this contract (they'll immediately lose it), my services will no longer be required.

It's like quitting your full time job at AC stage :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Rj408

MissJC13 wrote: »
    Would you take the time off if you knew for a fact that was your job is gone when you do? Because that's where I'm at :(
    Self employed , they don't have to give notice of dismissal and they won't, as soon as I screw them over on this contract (they'll immediately lose it), my services will no longer be required.

It's like quitting your full time job at AC stage :/

Thats why I said a long hard think about this as it seems you would be jumping in the dark, all well and good if you end up in the PSNI but we are all underdogs due to the numbers who apply.

If there was a chance you could get work else where after the AC then I would take the leap, however If you have children or dependants etc then its a harder decision.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Just email and ask the question.

They might surprise you :)

Just sent off the email, fingers crossed, tho I hope it doesn't take the 10 working days to get back lol

Hope it works out for you :)

I appreciate they can't offer rescheduling for everyone but they have to factor it in, especially at AC stage.

They were quick enough to reschedule the AC results date on the last campaign with no reason given!

• Advertisement

Homer01 wrote: »
    Hope it works out for you :)

I appreciate they can't offer rescheduling for everyone but they have to factor it in, especially at AC stage.

They were quick enough to reschedule the AC results date on the last campaign with no reason given!

Thanks Homer, that's made me feel a bit better :) fingers crossed it's the same this time

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭valor rorghulis

Got my AC date, thankfully was able to get the day off.

Anyone any idea how much time between AC date and physical assessment? Got a good plan for a holiday about 6 weeks after the AC date would be disaster if they clashed

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DaveNi

This is a long process.
    I did my AC back in January. Still no PCA date.

Got my AC date, thankfully was able to get the day off.

Anyone any idea how much time between AC date and physical assessment? Got a good plan for a holiday about 6 weeks after the AC date would be disaster if they clashed

As Dave said you could be waiting months not weeks.
    If we're lucky PCA's could start end of January.

Go and enjoy your holiday and bring us all back a stick of rock :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Rj408

Yeah I would imagine only those who have the HIGHEST scores in the AC are going to be doing anything like vetting forms or PCA at the end of Jan, so I wouldn't worry about a holiday go and eat all you can haha!

The forums is littered with people who done their AC months ago and still don't have a date for PCA! It takes a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 noelsam

With regards the the AC, what is the stress level like compared to the IST? Is it as full on, or a little more relaxed?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭CDizzle

Personally speaking I found the AC a lot more stressful. But I'm good at test like the ist and had never been in an ac environment before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 newpsni

Through to the AC myself, dont knownif inhave the date off or not in oct but either way il be there! Tips and hints greatly appreciated!!!

I found the IST super stressful but probably due to not sitting an exam since i left school 11 years ago. I'm just trying to prepare myself so I'm not shocked. I'm up very soon and will be glad to get it over with so i can resume normal life for a bit without constantly reading notes and thinking things over in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

Assessment centre is pretty full on. You are constrained by time in every section so time management should be your first concern. It is not necessarily difficult but pay attention, concentrate, and (hopefully) nothing will go over your head. Put any mistakes or sections you don't feel went well behind you, QUICK. Resilience is key here. Obvious advice but be polite, confident and friendly.

Assessment Centre is quite enjoyable compared to IST. Ideally, you can relax into the day and be yourself. Know the competencies and what they are looking for and conduct yourself accordingly.

That's great advice Dekkers, thanks. It's the "unknown" that is playing on my mind the most. Just don't want to mess up this opportunity I've been lucky enough to reach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Totally agree with Dekkers I totally messed up 2 sections and got D's but mangaged to pull my head out of my ass and walk away with an A overall. I'm not sure if Delkers agrees but I'm from a customer service background and found what they're looking for similar to those qualities, also felt that way in the online learning too.

Did you realise at the time what you had done wrong or was it once you received your results? At least there is a wee bit of room for error but you obviously done exceptionally well in those other bits.

Just went and bought a new suit, so at least I'll look the part even if i fail miserably. lol.

Yeah I felt crap and was kicking myself in the first couple of bits then thought to hell with it, just keep going and get it over and done with lol!! Think when I thought if already failed it I relaxed more and it became more natural. Managed to bag a few A*'s which definitely pulled the score up quite a bit.

Best piece of advice for AC's, just be you and go with it. No pretending to be officer whoever lol, let you and your personality shine through. Good luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭the411

I was in such a panic to go to the toilet in between the role plays so that I wouldn't miss anything, that I accidentally walked into the men's bathroom....

Turned back around and the people in the corridor were just staring....

Still, look on the bright side, I got a good result! (You have to laugh..!)

• Advertisement

Just wondering, how long after your AC do you find out your score/if you passed? X

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭valor rorghulis

Homer01 wrote: »
    As Dave said you could be waiting months not weeks.
    If we're lucky PCA's could start end of January.

Go and enjoy your holiday and bring us all back a stick of rock :D

Cheers mate, much appreciated, also; do you do the medical on same day as the PCA? Starting to think I may need laser eye :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Do not put dates up, you risk yourself and everyone going up that day!!

That date is for results, check the context first. Apologies if i am in the wrong but that isn't an AC date.

Guys as far as all future dates go I'd be careful, even if they're just for results. It's not difficult to guess from info posted on boards when AC's, PCA's and medicals are happening after results. If were smart enough to, you can be certain the "less than reputable citizen" will be able to as well. It's just my personal opinion, not being mummy on here, it's very much up to yourselves.

Valor, the medical is a separate date from PCA

Guys as far as all future dates go I'd be careful, even if they're just for results. It's not difficult to guess from info posted on boards when AC's, PCA's and medicals are happening after results. If were smart enough to, you can be certain the "less than reputable citizen" will be able to as well. It's just my personal opinion, not being mummy on here, it's very much up to yourselves.

Valor, the medical is a separate date from PCA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

noelsam wrote: »
    That date is for results, check the context first. Apologies if i am in the wrong but that isn't an AC date.

OK apologies, your message reads like an AC date. If you wanted it to have context it would have been better to quote the message you are responding to! :D

Any boardies going to the prep day thing with ted ? :)

I just had a mental image if the teddy bear Ted taking the AC prep dressed in a cops outfit. Pmsl!!!!

• Advertisement

Cheers mate, much appreciated, also; do you do the medical on same day as the PCA? Starting to think I may need laser eye :/

I never got that far before but my understanding is PCA first then medical. Go get properly tested at opticians so you know for sure.

I applied at the very start of the PSNI recruitment campaigns (over ten years ago :eek:). Back then you had to get an eye test done to show that you met the standards required and this was before the AC. I remember borrowing £20 from sister to get it done lol.
    They also had a PCA familiarisation day at Garnerville before AC as well.

Advertisement