Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 2 - The Assessment Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭soalpy

To those guys who found the AC suprisingly tough, what advice do you wish you had been given beforehand?

sacrifice a young garden bird, i found this gave me extra strength the second time around. Also 12x hail marys and 2x are father should do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

To those guys who found the AC suprisingly tough, what advice do you wish you had been given beforehand?

I recommend a bunch of garlic around your neck and a huge crucifix. That'll keep the role players in their place. After that it's dead easy :D

Bring some holy water if you can; it's a big help with the IT bit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

You might find it hard to get a decent answer, we're all still each others competition don't forget. Just keep calm and use common sense.

Those two replies had me in stitches lol

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tino77

Hi folks. Think this is the relevant thread for this. I had to resubmit my qualification certificates as I brought my statement of provisional results to the AC. I have now sent the originals and relevant copies. I'ms tarting to get a shade worried as I haven't received the originals back nor got an e-mail acknowledgement. Is anyone else in the same boat and/or know of a number or e-mail address to contact and see if they have have successfully arrived?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭soalpy

Mr Hamilton said the current recruitment process for officers would be "substantially slower" while the brakes have been put on a further intake of staff.

"With recruitment plans significantly reduced, it is anticipated that police officer headcount will decline over the next three years through retirements,"

Belfast telegraph -

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 CJ092

Thats the AC done, now to play the waiting game again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

http://www.psni.police.uk/chief_constable_s_key_note_address_to_first_international_network_of_trust_conference_at_coventry_university

Wee snippet from above which would suggest how many applied for campaign two:
    During very recent recruitment campaigns we ran a number of outreach events designed to increase the number of applicants from under-represented groups. We have had 10,593 applicants for approximately 800 places.

Campaign one: 7,493
    Campaign two: 3,100

Seems an awful low amount for campaign two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Do you need a copy of your photo ID also for the AC, or is it just the quals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Do you need a copy of your photo ID also for the AC, or is it just the quals?

Need photo ID

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Low numbers because of the dreadful pay me thinks !

• Advertisement

Timetravel wrote: »
    Need photo ID

Hi, yes I knew I needed ID but I remember having to photocopy my passport before, it could have been for the NIPS, not the PSNI. I have read my email about twenty times and can't see it but still needing some reassurance :(

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭MissWillow12

Hi, yes I knew I needed ID but I remember having to photocopy my passport before, it could have been for the NIPS, not the PSNI. I have read my email about twenty times and can't see it but still needing some reassurance :(

Nope you don't need a photocopy of your ID just the actual ID. The only thing you need photocopies of is your qualifications. Hope this reassures you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Sthm wrote: »
    http://www.psni.police.uk/chief_constable_s_key_note_address_to_first_international_network_of_trust_conference_at_coventry_university

Wee snippet from above which would suggest how many applied for campaign two:

Campaign one: 7,493
    Campaign two: 3,100

Seems an awful low amount for campaign two?

I wonder how many of the 3,100 were reapplying and how many were still waiting on Campaign one.

Still very low; I also think the crappy salary played a big part. Although we only found out about the salary drop later so maybe not.

Sorry lol. I would take the photocopy anyway. They took a photocopy of my ID when I was up a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I think when the 1309 campaign opened a good few people went aye why not, join the police and applied on a whim. And got their eyes opened at the ist/ac and have dropped out or decided it isn't the career for them. Maybe the figures for 1405 are mainly the people who really want the job. Pay cut might have something to do with it too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 newpsni

So what your saying is there are 3100 (give it take) and they are looking for 340 constables? That's not bad odds...
    If 3100 applied then, at a guess, I would say 1200 got through to the AC stage (again guess work) as IST is a number cutting game?

Number cutting yes but I did notice last years ist pass mark was 50, this years was 48.
    I don't try and guess the numbers, I just know the only way I can really give myself a good shot is to do my best at ac, score as well as possible. And be ready for the later stages, ie. PCA.

Just home from my ac. Like Homer said a while back, I arrived, full of hope, feeling far more prepared than last time round. And (in my case) I left a broken lady. Disappointed. Hoping I'll get a pass, I left last time feeling awful too. But still not pleased, I could've and should've performed better. Did quite enjoy the IT bit though.

However, silver lining... At least I didn't arrive 30mins late like one clown in my group...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭valor rorghulis

Was a massive gender disparity in my AC, only one female in I think a group of 9, is this typical? IME always seem to be a lot of female constables about NI

Those stats are actually quite encouraging, though if I was offered it would be a big consideration financially, if I was 20 I'd jump at it but with the 35 years of service for pension its a big ask

Think the above report said about 27% of PSNI is now female. Was about even at my ac, although it was a small group (only 6)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 suba

Hi,

Does anyone know when the next stages are if we get through the assessment stages? I really want to travel in the summer but would hate to risk booking flights incase I get through but prices are rising!

suba wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know when the next stages are if we get through the assessment stages? I really want to travel in the summer but would hate to risk booking flights incase I get through but prices are rising!

Check guidance for applicants or any other literature you've received since you applied. Although personally I would go on ahead and book the travel. Wouldnt be putting my life on hold at this stage to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Geo1986

I was just thinking even if it's 340 over both campaigns the odds are still pretty good 3.2% so about 1 in every 30 applications. Obviously this increases as you progress through the stages. But I iamgine most jobs receive more than 30 applications so statistically we have a better chance of success in this. Positive thinking��

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

does anybody know how the ac is scored?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Tim89

Psni26 wrote: »
    does anybody know how the ac is scored?

On the competencies demonstrated

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

no I meant is it marked out of a certain percentage or what equates to each grade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Each section was marked and given a percentage which equated to a grade. These percentages were added up to give an overall grade. Think that's was in the email after the 2013 campaigns AC. Needed a B to progress if I remember correctly.

If you did really badly in one section can you still pass or do you need to pass all sections?

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

If you did really badly in one section can you still pass or do you need to pass all sections?

:(

I scored 2 D's and came away with an A over all so yeah you can :D

• Advertisement

Mop a top wrote: »
    I scored 2 D's and came away with an A over all so yeah you can :D

Back to fingers crossed again then.

Advertisement