Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 2 - The Assessment Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

Yea it is a shame about funding, this is my first time going for it so hopefully it's good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭warofattrition

Geo1986 wrote: »
    I guess the really annoying thing is that no matter how well we do...all the uncertainty about funding is a pain in the ass. First time round I was checking emails every half hour from AC to results. This time round I am like warm at best

CC said this drive would go ahead though with reduced numbers.

There were substantially less applied to the 2014 drive(3,100) so the chances of getting in will effectively be the same if they reduce the intake to about half of the initially projected 368.

Chin up,less people in this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Geo1986

Yea, I actually think the odds are slightly better this time. Fingers crossed for everyone. If anything else, it's good practice for the next one ��

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nem1128

Do they wait till the deadline or could they release results a bit earlier like the initial test. So anxious.

They told some people early last time round because they were in a rush to get new recruits on the street....don't think that's going to apply this time though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

Annoys me more that they mark the AC stuff on the day, so they've known for months if I've passed or god forbid failed :(

4 weeks of overdrive hindsight ahead lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭JtmC

The speed of candidates being filtered into the force this campaign is going to be half that of the 13090 campaign.

After this campaign there is allegedly to be a 2 year suspension of any further recruitment.

All due to the budget.

My information came from a couple of FT's I spoke to at the PCA. They quotes it came from a reliable source however as with any hearsay you can't rely on it 100℅. Information always seems to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

I aging results could hit a week before the deadline, they've done that in the past. All in all recruitment is uncertain but looking forward to getting results and seeing how I stand. Agree hindsight is torture...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Is it a cut in recruits from 1405 or a slower process for the same number? Or is it a slow process for a smaller number !!???? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭JtmC

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Is it a cut in recruits from 1405 or a slower process for the same number? Or is it a slow process for a smaller number !!???? :(

Just slower I believe and it is heavily dependant on budget. As the police continue to make cuts in non essential areas, things may gradually get better.

One thing remains true. There are still older Officers retiring and the police needs feet on the ground to replace those retiring / leaving.

You can rest assure they will be pushing for recruits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

The chief con stated in a policing conference in Coventry just under 2 weeks ago 10,000 odd applicants have applied for approximately 800 jobs, that covers both campaigns. I've heard similar news regarding the January intake of 40 etc, so that all seems like that's the plan, I've also heard with regards us in campaign 2 that it will be done by a squad by squad basis, which has been stated before in other parts of the forum. What I was told too, is that there is a big number of officers to retire in March April due to there being a massive recruitment intake in the 80's so those officers have pretty much done their 30 years.

The psni is currently losing just over 20 officers a month through natural wastage, that's where campaign 2 comes into play from what I've heard. Those taken from campaign 2 will be put in place to maintain numbers as best as possible. Don't forget also we'll be a heck of a lot cheaper than those about to leave, starting on 19k which may not be great but it may be a saving grace, especially when this is all about money. I've been told by a source who's a couple of ranks above con that they have no idea really what's happening other than they need to keep recruitment going. And I know a lot of people know people in the job, but what's being said from what I was told is just rumours as the top brass are taken it as it comes, so take everything including myself with a pinch of salt.

I can understand the panic people are feeling in campaign 2 as I'm the same, but this will chew us all up, remain positive, it's nothing we can control unfortunately take each stage as it comes, we just gotta get past the AC results and each stage we get closer then we should start fretting a bit more each time lol :) I do believe recruitment will continue as best possible as the chief con said it was one of his three principles to maintain operational resilience with numbers amongst the ranks, good luck all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

Heard a rumour today that there has been a 23% no show rate at AC's. I can't verify it but it's a hell of a lot of candidates. Recent media reports of budget cuts are being blamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

Here's hoping!!! I've heard similar rumours about stats myself. I'm sure the recent surge in attacks/viable devices/gun finds will deter a few more

If they take the full number of recruits and that stat is true, the odds have roughly gone from 1 in 4 to 1 in 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Rj408

ZeGerman wrote: »
    Heard a rumour today that there has been a 23% no show rate at AC's. I can't verify it but it's a hell of a lot of candidates. Recent media reports of budget cuts are being blamed.

Care to say where you heard this, like radio, news story or someone you know in the force?

I have to say it sounds accurate, there was a few no shows at mine and that seems to be the general trend. I mean look at the situtation in this country, 19k is for like me and many others a cut in pay for a more stressful job.

There are essentially fewer officers in the job, less money for those officers, less political support as the PSNI seems to be in the middle of political football these days, one of the most scrutinized forces in the world AND under staffed going by the bare minimum recommendation for peace time Northern Ireland. Not to mention people shooting rockets at you from home made launchers and finding lads driving about the streets with an AK47 in their car... this is a SERIOUS issue.

The job isn't for the faint hearted and the realities are maybe hitting home for a lot of people. I for one hope I can get the career of my dreams, but for lots of other people its just maybe not worth it....

Thoughts? (sorry for life story! ha!)

A friend in the know, I obviously can't disclose who and as I said I couldn't verify that number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭pastiesupper

My post has a link to the numbers from the 1309 campaign and the no-shows percentage is around 23% for both AC and IST.

boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057332324

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

I think that percentage would be fairly accurate when you look at the number of no shows for campaign 1, I know there was 3 no shows at mine, and as everyone else has said on here there has been a fair few who have had a full house.

I think a lot of people didn't realise the salary had changed and I believe there would be still some who haven't, also there will be people who have done the AC for campaign 2 and since have got the call for campaign 1 and will be getting the call for campaign 1 so numbers will be lost from that also.

If the psni recruits the projected numbers from campaign 2 then this would be as good a shot as any to get in, considering campaign 2 we aren't fighting against the masses in the same way campaign 1 was.

3100 odd applied for campaign 2 and say 1500 to 1700 got to the AC, say if 23% are no shows from 1700, being conservative, could be more, that's 391 no shows, 1309 that would leave actually doing the AC, bare in mind 800 to a thousand is what they want on merit, as vetting, physicals and medicals are all still to be done which could cut numbers, as well as those still waiting on campaign 1callls. Just mulling numbers over making myself feel better, but the chances, providing we pass the AC, touch wood, and finances don't cut recruitments neck, then the odds would be favourable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Rj408

Exactly my chain of thought, the less that apply or don't show or for whatever reasons pull out of the recruitment process the higher my own chances are of passing. Still a long way to go however so take each day as it comes and keep working towards your goals!

It is more or less a waiting game for all us now with the AC results, it will make or break a few christmases, mine included!!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭MissWillow12

There was 4 no shows at my AC and only 3 females so the percentage sounds about right to me of no shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭soalpy

I thought nobody had turned up for my A/C, it turned out I was in the wrong hotel and when I got to the correct hotel I was late and had to go home :(

Aah soalpy. How did you manage that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Josiemarble

Hello first time on here so not too sure about what way it works. Just wanted to introduce myself I read the post quite regularly. I am currently waiting on results that are due out 19th of December. I have been to this assessment stage before with no luck? Are you all waiting for results around same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

Yea I did mine a couple of weeks ago and now just anticipating the results! Eeek

Hello first time on here so not too sure about what way it works. Just wanted to introduce myself I read the post quite regularly. I am currently waiting on results that are due out 19th of December. I have been to this assessment stage before with no luck? Are you all waiting for results around same time?

Yep

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Welcome to the forums.

The main thing we harp on about all the time is privacy. If you've used any part of your real name to form your boards.ie username, we would recommend that, for your own safety, you close that account and open another one which doesn't refer to you, your family, job, friends, etc., for example: bicycle421, i lovegoodmusic, jeansarecool... you get my drift?

Secondly, don't ever give out any information about yourself, or your family, friends, job, hobbies, etc., as it just takes someone to go back through all your posts and add all the pieces up and figure it was you.

Lastly... enjoy the discussions, and feel free to join in any time you like.

-Shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 newpsni

Anyone else getting nightmares/sweats and nervousness about the release of results?

I'm going insane haha!

Wishing you all all the best of luck

newpsni wrote: »
    Anyone else getting nightmares/sweats and nervousness about the release of results?

I'm going insane haha!

Wishing you all all the best of luck

I can't think of anything else at the minute. My friends and family are going nuts haha. They keep talking to me but I'm a thousand miles away in my head.

Keep trying to guess how I performed in my head and honestly have no clue. Just over two weeks now until I know for sure. Good luck all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭QueenP

Hi all, long time lurker to this forum. Awaiting results also on attempt no 2 at getting my childhood dream job. Fingers and toes crossed for all us hopefuls

Advertisement