Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 2 - The Assessment Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

pb82 wrote: »
    You don't go into the actual 'merit pool' until you have completed all 5 stages

"· The Assessment Centre consists of a series of exercises designed to assess how candidates deal with real-life policing scenarios. These are both interactive and written exercises, and are similar to the types of exercises that the successful candidates will encounter in training.
    · Those who meet the required standard are placed on a merit list, and this list is then passed to the PSNI. At this stage there are five further stages to be looked at: medical; vetting; physical competency assessment; substance misuse testing; and online learning.
    · Those who successfully complete these stages are invited to an induction weekend. They are placed on a merit list which is to last until March 2015. Candidates will be processed in waves according to the number being recruited each time."

It says applicants are placed on a merit list both after the AC and then again after the PSNI administered stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pb82

Cromlech wrote: »
    "· The Assessment Centre consists of a series of exercises designed to assess how candidates deal with real-life policing scenarios. These are both interactive and written exercises, and are similar to the types of exercises that the successful candidates will encounter in training.
    · Those who meet the required standard are placed on a merit list, and this list is then passed to the PSNI. At this stage there are five further stages to be looked at: medical; vetting; physical competency assessment; substance misuse testing; and online learning.
    · Those who successfully complete these stages are invited to an induction weekend. They are placed on a merit list which is to last until March 2015. Candidates will be processed in waves according to the number being recruited each time."

It says applicants are placed on a merit list both after the AC and then again after the PSNI administered stages.

Never noticed that before

More worrying would be the fact it says the merit list is only held until March 2015

Does this mean there will be 2 more squads from campaign 1 only?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

More worrying would be the fact it says the merit list is only held until March 2015

I thought the opposite of you and always thought there was only one merit list but thought it was after AC and not after everything is complete as well.

This process is quite confusing at times, especially when we receive very little info while waiting.

It is worrying I'm hoping that there aren't any/many 64's left and the 63-62 are in the next batch of calls if they go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

Is it unrealistic to think that someone with a score of 60 would ever be called?

Psni26 wrote: »
    Is it unrealistic to think that someone with a score of 60 would ever be called?

No not at all

It all just depends on funds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

I've heard from a few sources that campaign 2 intakes start May 2015, so the March 2015 deadline for campaign 1 would make sense if they have to do it before end of the current financial year

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Icarus9

So we reckon on a couple more intakes from campaign one until that merit list is finished and they move onto campaign 2? If intake one from campaign 2 is going in during May then the top scores should be doing their fitness late January? The question is will there be a break between campaign one and two intakes, probably not as the college is all set up for training with staff etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4 laracroft

I apologise for my complete ignorance! Is Campaign One last year's recruits? So I'm Campaign Two?? (I did my AC in Oct and got my score at the start of Dec)?

Passed, only just (65) so obviously apprehensive to hear this news. It's the not knowing whether I'll get through to the next stage - this is a difficult recruitment system.

If the merit list is being finished in March does this include both campaigns. Wonder if anyone from Campaign One with a score of 65 has not been contacted yet? If I don't get through because I'm not sufficiently high up on the merit list, then I'll try again next year, as I really want this, but this system is odd. I personally think that if you pass the scores (the benchmark set by the PSNI) in any stage then you should automatically go to the next stage. If a merit list needs to be used to reduce numbers then surely it should only be done at the very end? It's weird passing something and feeling happy about it, yet not knowing whether I'll get to do the next stage!

Final question - I've changed address since the recruitment campaign started - does anyone know if I need to phone the psni to tell them? There's no info. about who to contact for admin. on my emails.
    Thanks guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Campaign one commenced September 2013 and is still ongoing with presumably a couple of squads left to be appointed before completion of the campaign. Campaign one's merit list has been said to expire come March 2015.

Campaign two refers to the campaign this year from which AC results were released earlier this month. Once all of the appointments have been made from campaign one, campaign two's squads will start rolling through into training. Chief Con said the first squad from campaign two is to be expected around May 2015. If this is still the case, phasing the first batch through vetting, PCA etc. would need to start pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭warofattrition

laracroft wrote: »
    I apologise for my complete ignorance! Is Campaign One last year's recruits? So I'm Campaign Two?? (I did my AC in Oct and got my score at the start of Dec)?

Passed, only just (65) so obviously apprehensive to hear this news. It's the not knowing whether I'll get through to the next stage - this is a difficult recruitment system.

If the merit list is being finished in March does this include both campaigns. Wonder if anyone from Campaign One with a score of 65 has not been contacted yet? If I don't get through because I'm not sufficiently high up on the merit list, then I'll try again next year, as I really want this, but this system is odd. I personally think that if you pass the scores (the benchmark set by the PSNI) in any stage then you should automatically go to the next stage. If a merit list needs to be used to reduce numbers then surely it should only be done at the very end? It's weird passing something and feeling happy about it, yet not knowing whether I'll get to do the next stage!

Final question - I've changed address since the recruitment campaign started - does anyone know if I need to phone the psni to tell them? There's no info. about who to contact for admin. on my emails.
    Thanks guys!

Campaign 1 is the 2013 drive.I think people scoring 64%have been called for the next squad.The campaign for next year has been cancelled so whoever is in the running for campaigns 1 and 2 are the only ones for the foreseeable.

Get used to the frustration,lara,and take a read through some of the older threads.It is an exhausting process with no guarantees.

With regard to your last question,I would call 101 and ask for HR.

Finally,just to make sure, put in a redirection for your new address so that any correspondence from PSNI is passed on and doesn't land on your old addresses doorstep :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Youdontknowme6

How do you know the chief constable has said the first batch in group 2 are going in May 2015? What would you realistically need to score to be in this batch?

I would hope this new money will mean more recruitment surely....?

How do you know the chief constable has said the first batch in group 2 are going in May 2015? What would you realistically need to score to be in this batch?

I would hope this new money will mean more recruitment surely....?

Chief Con tweeted it during a live Q&A last month.

Last campaign, any score over 70 was in the first batch to receive vetting forms and PCA invite.

Sthm wrote: »
    Chief Con tweeted it during a live Q&A last month.

Last campaign, any score over 70 was in the first batch to receive vetting forms and PCA invite.

So do you think it's reasonable anyone who's got a score over 70 will be first phased through? Do you know how many are phased through at a time?

I wonder are there many who scored over it tho.... not a lot I imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Icarus9

The question about updating your address, it stated in your assessment centre results email that if your address has changed then you should email the address they provide in that email. If you have a read through it you should find the email address to get in touch with them.

So do you think it's reasonable anyone who's got a score over 70 will be first phased through? Do you know how many are phased through at a time?

I wonder are there many who scored over it tho.... not a lot I imagine?

It's impossible to say whether it'll be the same as I'm only going on experience from campaign one before all the talk of funding issues.

Previously, it was batches of around 100 phased roughly every five weeks. How early you're phased through the remaining stages is dependent on AC score.

I'd go out on a limb and say anyone scoring 80+ will definitely be in the first batch and anyone with 75+ is most probably up there too. Keep in mind this is guess work though.

Yeah guess work but an educated guess at that from experience. It's impossible to know exact numbers but surely there wouldn't be too many scoring in the A* cat or else the process would be flawed, as it's the highest grade they can give.

Interesting to see how many actually get letters or calls. Better up the fitness regime....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 newpsni

Hi all, hope you had a good new year and 2015 Is our year!

Does anyone know roughly when the next stages are going to start or what way it begins?

Vetting papers in the post / email about PCA?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AAPD123

Anyone any news yet? I'm hoping this week brings some sort of info..

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DaveNi

I really doubt there will be any more stages until the current merit list is exhausted. Which is due to expire in March.

Really? That's not ideal. Surely they can send out vetting forms and get physicals out of the way while they exhaust the merit list, or is that wishful thinking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭0O0

DaveNi wrote: »
    I really doubt there will be any more stages until the current merit list is exhausted. Which is due to expire in March.

That seems completely illogical as they'll be having to start PCA etc from late March/April say and won't have anyone able to start until ALL stages including online learning & vetting.

The 2013 campaign will cease at the end of this tax year as has been confirmed by press releases IIRC.

Can see those with say 77% up (obviously a guess), getting vetting & invite to familiarisation really soon - with the latter given a month or so notice & PCA roughly a month after that.

Could have medicals and online learning completed for April and a squad ready to saunter on in to GV.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DaveNi

0O0 wrote: »
    That seems completely illogical as they'll be having to start PCA etc from late March/April say and won't have anyone able to start until ALL stages including online learning & vetting.

The 2013 campaign will cease at the end of this tax year as has been confirmed by press releases IIRC.

Can see those with say 77% up (obviously a guess), getting vetting & invite to familiarisation really soon - with the latter given a month or so notice & PCA roughly a month after that.

Could have medicals and online learning completed for April and a squad ready to saunter on in to GV.

Clearly its just what i think. And il stick by that,

If you start hoping for something next week etc and waiting on postman everyday, you are in for a long long wait, trust me, the waiting has put so many people off campaign 1, i waited 6 months for my pca date and vetting forms.

Just keep it at the back of your mind and get on with what you gota do.

0O0 wrote: »

This sounds much more pleasing to the ears. Hopefully things will starting rolling out soon and we can use that as a starting reference point.

DaveNi wrote: »
    Clearly its just what i think. And il stick by that,

If you start hoping for something next week etc and waiting on postman everyday, you are in for a long long wait, trust me, the waiting has put so many people off campaign 1, i waited 6 months for my pca date and vetting forms.

Just keep it at the back of your mind and get on with what you gota do.

I think vetting forms for campaign 2 will need to go out in the next month or so

However I would definitely echo what daveni has said about waiting for the post man

This is the most long, drawn out and often illogical process I have ever been a part of

Second guessing dates, times, scores, numbers is nigh on impossible

Just ask those remaining in campaign 1

Keep calm, by all means get/keep yourself in shape in anticipation of a call

I got my AC results in january I think it was, and it was May before I got vetting forms and that was before there were funding issues to contend with

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Rezone

Was wondering guy's, I have passed my AC with a score of 79 % and am a relatively fit male. If you pass the AC, PCA, Medical and Vetting are you then pretty much in? I don't understand some stories I have been told where people pass everything but don't get recruited at the end of it all. Just want a bit of clarity on the matter, if I am so lucky to get that far and pass everything should I still be unsure of a job or at least a little positive that I might be recruited?

Rezone wrote: »
    Was wondering guy's, I have passed my AC with a score of 79 % and am a relatively fit male. If you pass the AC, PCA, Medical and Vetting are you then pretty much in? I don't understand some stories I have been told where people pass everything but don't get recruited at the end of it all. Just want a bit of clarity on the matter, if I am so lucky to get that far and pass everything should I still be unsure of a job or at least a little positive that I might be recruited?

If you read through the waiting list thread there are several people who have completed and passed all the stages

They are now just waiting on an offer, the problem being with the current financial constraints each intake is being processed on an individual basis depending on funding.

Sadly there is a possibility you could complete all the stages and not get an offer solely because of the budget

Hopefully this is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dr_watson

Also keep in mind that from an employer's POV ideally the numbers on the merit list exceed the number of vacancies so there will always be people who pass but dont get an offer. The lower your AC score the more chances that you will form this surplus. Pretty good AC score though with 79% so wouldn't be worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 newpsni

So Iv been reading the posts over the last few days, AC score of 74, would I be sat in the top bracket or average ?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Suzuka

newpsni wrote: »
    So Iv been reading the posts over the last few days, AC score of 74, would I be sat in the top bracket or average ?
    Tbh itll be hard for anyone to give a definitive yes or no answer, really depends how many other people scored 74 and above aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

newpsni wrote: »

If campaign 1 (1309) is anything to go by, and I know at this moment in time, funding is up in the air etc for us in campaign 2 (1405), but if we are going by campaign 1 with time scales etc you would be top bracket, I think the third squad maybe 4th was made up of 74's for 1309, hard to say though as Suzuka said, I would imagine you will be potentially receiving vetting forms when the first batch of forms head out, which should be relatively soon, take what I say with a pinch of salt mind you as its all assumption on my part. With all the lack of clarity regarding us, who knows what the score is and where we all stand.

Advertisement