Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 2 - The Assessment Centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

twoblub wrote: »
    Hi Folks. New account old boards head, closed the old one to spend less time on here but didn't happen.

Question as I've made it to A/C from my reading of the familiarisation material supplied to us Im just wondering, is there an formal interview or situational one at the A/C? Or is it we will be scored on the excerises listed in the material, against the core competencies listed? Thanks in advance.

There used to be a situational interview in the old format of AC but you were only asked questions relating to the competencies you were being tested on and obviously the role you were playing for that day. You weren't asked any personal questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

I hope everyone has been practising their role playing skills over Christmas!
    Interrogating granny over dinner and putting cuffs on uncle John for being drunk & disorderly lol

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Momc82

I find this stage really difficult to prepare for. Although there is an abundance of material to practice with, I just can't crack it!!!
    Time to "tighten" up I guess!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tubes46

is the familiarisation material for the AC on the e-mail with your IST results or is there more comprehensive preparation material available from deliotte?

tubes46 wrote: »
    is the familiarisation material for the AC on the e-mail with your IST results or is there more comprehensive preparation material available from deliotte?

There's actually very little out there that is PSNI specific. All the mainland forces use a different assessment process.

You still have the role play part but it's a very different context. Having been through it a few times helps but not by much.

Just focus on the competencies of the role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 tubes46

Cheers. Just starting to panic about AC now. Took long enough to pass ist dont know if I have the years left in me to ever pass AC!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Its all about confidence folks!!!!! You need to get fully into it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

Honestly, the best thing you can do is immerse yourself in it. If you leave the AC and don't feel physically drained then imo you didn't do it correctly. I left after 4-5 hours and didn't have a clue what just happened to me. I was physically and mentally tired. Just put everything you have into it, really get stuck in and if you fail, well at least you have no doubts that you put 110% into it. Try to think outside of the box too. But remember sometimes the most obvious route to take is the best too!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

Typically what score is required to actually progress to the next stages fairly quickly?

swl33t wrote: »
    Typically what score is required to actually progress to the next stages fairly quickly?

You mean for the guys that applied for C3 and have the AC coming up this month and next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

swl33t wrote: »

Fairly quickly and PSNI recruitment are two phrases that do not exist together haha. I jest lol. If they are sticking to the 100 they said they are gonna take on, then I would say 76-78 plus at the ac, to be within the first 2 batches. It depends really on how many are through to the ac and how many show and then the scoring. The past 2 campaigns had a pass mark of 60 but this time it could be 65, I firmly believe they do their best to manage candidate expectation. I suppose it's all relevant. Hope this helps mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭StingrayGC

swl33t wrote:

High to mid 70s generally get the early shout.

Wasn't the first batch C2 processed mid 80's and higher?

It's like everything else in PSNI recruitment, how long is a piece of string, depends what the top scores are and how many get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mmaher14

How do I go about withdrawing my application and cancelling the assessment centre?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Just don't turn up. A 'no show' is automatically withdrawn from the process unless you contact them ahead of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

Could anyone give me some advice on what I should be practicing on for this AC?

I passed it a few years ago but the RP was <mod snip> and this one is based on being a constable?

Should I practice taking statements, listening activities and general communication activities?

D4z wrote: »
    Could anyone give me some advice on what I should be practicing on for this AC?

I passed it a few years ago but the RP was <mod snip> and this one is based on being a constable?

Should I practice taking statements, listening activities and general communication activities?

They give you a list of the core personal behaviours that they're looking for in the email with your IST results/AC appointment details. I'd suggest reading Appendix 2 and FAQ at the bottom of the email, it will clue you in plus everyone will have signed a confidentiality agreement not to discuss the AC and in my honest opinion there's not much preparing you can do for it cos it will depend entirely on the information that your given in the AC.

I know that's not much use to you but try not to stress about it,they're not looking for Constables, just people with potential!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

Mop a top wrote: »
    They give you a list of the core personal behaviours that they're looking for in the email with your IST results/AC appointment details. I'd suggest reading Appendix 2 and FAQ at the bottom of the email, it will clue you in plus everyone will have signed a confidentiality agreement not to discuss the AC and in my honest opinion there's not much preparing you can do for it cos it will depend entirely on the information that your given in the AC.

I know that's not much use to you but try not to stress about it,they're not looking for Constables, just people with potential!! :)

I have read the key competencies, however the struggle comes from trying to practice these within activities etc. The previous one I completed was pretty straight forward but I felt it was easier to live the RP.

When I was practicing for the IST I was doing math / English quizzes or tests, I just feel there is nothing I can really practice for this stage. Except hope I am what they're looking for.

D4z wrote: »
    I just feel there is nothing I can really practice for this stage. Except hope I am what they're looking for.

That's pretty much it though! Like I said unless you know what situation they're going to give you, you're not going to be able to practice. To me C1 was totally different to C2 and I'm expecting C3 to be entirely different again.

I honestly wouldn't worry! Just remember everyone is or was in the same boat as you, just don't get yourself worked up about it. If you prepare to much, you might come across in a way the assessors mightn't like.

I'll reiterate my point from earlier they aren't looking for constables, they are looking for people with the potential to be constables! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Looking forward to doing mine soon. Hopefully it will go better than last time! Give it 100% and no regrets.

• Advertisement

We all seem to have real mixed feeling about this stage of the game.
    As said before, confidence counts for a lot.

Good luck everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Have my AC done and dusted now. Felt like it went better than last time but not sure if ill get past it or not. This bit always gets me.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭letsdoit2013

Have mine done too, first time doing it and I have to say I really enjoyed it! Came out drained! Good luck to everyone still to do ac just be yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

Have the big day coming up soon! Looking forward to getting it over and done with.

So how's everyone feeling?
    Releaved the AC is over?
    Excited / nervous if you still have to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

Bitta both tbh. Dont really know what to expect, but at the same time I have an idea of what to expect. Yourself?

I'm nervous. I've practiced with my partner and think I can do it. But I'm nervous about how I will keep my cool and head clear on the day.
    I am a confident person but I also get easily put off!!!

Momc82 wrote: »
    I'm nervous. I've practiced with my partner and think I can do it. But I'm nervous about how I will keep my cool and head clear on the day.
    I am a confident person but I also get easily put off!!!

Your first one will be the worst until you get it out of the way then you'll settle yourself down and think a bit more clearly. Just slow down and don't talk to fast.

Mine is soon. Actually looking forward to it as this will probably be my last if I don't get through.

However, I am totally aiming for one of these earlier calls :D

• Advertisement

Homer01 wrote: »
    Mine is soon. Actually looking forward to it as this will probably be my last if I don't get through.

However, I am totally aiming for one of these earlier calls :D

Fingers crossed for you buddy. Don't give up on your dream though. I've had more than a couple of goes at it shall we say and my persistence has paid off.

Advertisement