Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 2 - The Assessment Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Persistence will pay off alright. Good tip about not speaking too fast, that's my trick when I'm nervous too. There's nothing wrong with taking a breath and gathering your thoughts for a moment. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

Job done today, was tough enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Same on both accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 roboturnip

Have my AC very soon. Just a question regarding dress code?

I seem to remember the last time i went there where some people dressed more casual (Jeans, shirt). What are people's opinion on that? Think I would feel more comfortable, yet don't want to make a bad impression!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ryan561

roboturnip wrote: »

I seem to remember the last time i went there where some people dressed more casual (Jeans, shirt). What are people's opinion on that? Think I would feel more comfortable, yet don't want to make a bad impression!

Last time I went I wore jeans and a hoodie, because I was comfortable in it plus it said no dress code lol. But I heard somewhere that it is now got a dress code

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

I don't think there is any dress code for the AC. Everyone at mine was wearing a suit but I wore a trousers, jumper shirt & tie. Makes me feel more professional and it's also a bit more comfortable than a suit. It's probably better to feel overdressed than under dressed but I would say wear whatever you feel comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭StingrayGC

roboturnip wrote:

Put yourself in the place of an employer, which one would you take more seriously? jeans or suit, I wore a suit, it can't hurt and you feel more professional while conducting the scenarios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

Most people wear a full suit or the equivalent for the ladies. I wouldn't rock up with anything less than smart trousers, shoes and an open neck shirt. You'll not get marked down for what you wear, but I would say that it looks better to all the other candidates in the room and to the assessors if you've made an effort and shows that you're taking the day seriously. Remember that should you be successful in your application, you'll be expected to have a neat, tidy and professional appearance for your entire policing career, so why not start from now. I wore casual clothes to an AC before time and I felt like a right knob after looking around and seeing what everyone else was wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

There is still no dress code for the AC but they do hint at what would be appropriate in the email invitation.

At my AC this year there were a guy and girl both in casual clothing and the rest of us in business dress.

Like others have said, it makes a better impression and to be honest it puts you in a more professional frame of mind, which is ideal for the AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 roboturnip

Thanks for the replies folks! Business attire it is.

Good luck to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Queenie34

Did my AC last week. It was tough as I knew it would be!!! The part that really amazed me was the lady at the end came to take our folders and said we might be called for PCA from 1 March onwards and it doesn't mean we've passed AC she said the aim is for everyone who has attended the AC to go through PCA. I just think that's mental going through PCA not knowing if you've passed AC. Anyone else told this?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭iamveryhopeful

Queenie34 wrote: »
    Did my AC last week. It was tough as I knew it would be!!! The part that really amazed me was the lady at the end came to take our folders and said we might be called for PCA from 1 March onwards and it doesn't mean we've passed AC she said the aim is for everyone who has attended the AC to go through PCA. I just think that's mental going through PCA not knowing if you've passed AC. Anyone else told this?

not asking for specifics here but for anyone who has just done the assessment centre on this open campaign is it the same sort of idea as the 1405 campaign or is it completely different.

again, I stress I am not asking for what the different scenarios are etc. just if it is the same sort of thing just so I know how to prepare mentally.

In other words they don't now have you out on the street mock arresting people? haha

not asking for specifics here but for anyone who has just done the assessment centre on this open campaign is it the same sort of idea as the 1405 campaign or is it completely different.

again, I stress I am not asking for what the different scenarios are etc. just if it is the same sort of thing just so I know how to prepare mentally.

In other words they don't now have you out on the street mock arresting people? haha
    No you def won't have to go out in the street and arrest people!! Keep it calm you've been there before, you know what to expect!!! Good luck

No you def won't have to go out in the street and arrest people!! Keep it calm you've been there before, you know what to expect!!! Good luck

haha thanks for that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Life_On_Mars

I won't have even done my AC by then.. Wonder if they'll carry forward PCA from C2 as they're merging into 1. No wonder the PSNI need more cash, the recruitment must be wiping them out!

I won't have even done my AC by then.. Wonder if they'll carry forward PCA from C2 as they're merging into 1. No wonder the PSNI need more cash, the recruitment must be wiping them out!

Not sure if PCA can be carried forward but I know that if a year lapses it has to be repeated again. It's crazy to think the money it's going to take to put everyone through PCA, id say they're desperate for officers and this campaign might push through quicker than previous campaigns. Who knows, only time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Had a few short on my AC today and one actually left halfway through.
    I can definitely see how the AC has evolved over the last few campaigns.
    All new Deloitte staff as well lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

It would have to go seriously bad to leave half way through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Not sure if PCA can be carried forward but I know that if a year lapses it has to be repeated again. It's crazy to think the money it's going to take to put everyone through PCA, id say they're desperate for officers and this campaign might push through quicker than previous campaigns. Who knows, only time will tell!

It's 6 MONTHS!! The PCA expires after 6 months. Happened in C1 and it states it on the bottom of the pass letter for C2. As does the medical

Homer01 wrote: »
    Had a few short on my AC today and one actually left halfway through.
    I can definitely see how the AC has evolved over the last few campaigns.
    All new Deloitte staff as well lol.

Maybe they got their call for G.V......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭StingrayGC

Queenie34 wrote:

I am afraid to say that the PCA only lasts for 6 month, I will have to redo mine next month.

Is it April yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DanJ2020

Hi guys! I am due my assessment centre at the end of this month and was wondering if you are permitted to bring revision notes etc with you to read between exercises?
    First time for me so want to make sure I am properly prepared!

Thanks in advance

DanJ2020 wrote: »
    Hi guys! I am due my assessment centre at the end of this month and was wondering if you are permitted to bring revision notes etc with you to read between exercises?
    First time for me so want to make sure I am properly prepared!

Thanks in advance

Sorry but no. They actually specifically said this at mine. I guess it has been a problem.

You do get a rough work notebook to scribble away on.

Best of luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

My AC is still weeks away. ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

My AC is still weeks away. 😟

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭stm1

Hi everyone, been lurking for a while but this is my first post.

So at my AC recently I was told to be ready for call ups for PCA from 1st March. Assuming they would need to give at least a couple weeks notice today is 3 weeks until the 1st. Has anyone heard anything?

stm1 wrote: »

So at my AC recently I was told to be ready for call ups for PCA from 1st March. Assuming they would need to give at least a couple weeks notice today is 3 weeks until the 1st. Has anyone heard anything?

Welcome!
    I personally have not gotten further than the AC but this is my understanding of how it will work.

If you're a clear super high scoring candidate then it is possible you could get an email from March onwards. My understanding is that they will offer you a date for your PCA and yes they will give you sufficient notice to get it off work etc.
    As to how much notice I'm sure someone else will be better placed to answer.

The bit I don't get is why they don't start the vetting process first as it appears to be longest. Unless of course they start the PCA and vetting together.

stm1 wrote: »

Nothing for me! Who knows how it went though. Have you been training?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Airborne2PARA

Had a missed call from a "NO CALLER ID" number. Without jumping the gun seen that some people from 1405 campaign have had phone calls recently. So just wondering if anyone else has had one?

It could be work or advertising agency's but just in case.

Advertisement