Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 2 - The Assessment Centre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

Apply away!
    If you get in the police and you like it, great!
    If you get in the police and you don't like it, go back to do the university thing! You'll still be young enough even if it isn't the norm!
    But go ahead with the uni thing while you apply for the police for obvious reasons!

Just be careful to get all the hell raising and heavy drinking out of your system while at uni and DON'T get a criminal record for stealing traffic cones! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

stephen142 wrote: »
    I passed the A/C :D:D:D:D
    got the letter there now :D

cant believe it. this is my first time applying and ive got this far :D

im just worried now cuz ive accepted a university offer :( lol

hey m8t congratulations on passing and to everyone else who has passed, hvent been on in ages and sorta lost track!! and really sorry to read about those who were unfortunate not to make it, keep the heads up and use the expierence you gained for the next time!!

stephen i was the exact same as yourself, c13 was my first time applying and i passed the A/c, id also applied for university (criminology and criminal justice) at the same time! so dont be worrying go on ahead with uni, take the police as it comes! im still waiting to hear about c13 but i just signed my loans and fees forms there for 2nd term, if you are to be succesful with the police you can always defer your course neway!! hope this helped ya, just make the most of the student life and if the police is to be it will be!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JuiletBravo

Hi every one ,

Though you would be interested in my little story. Did the AC last week and had my result in 4 DAYS ....Yes 4 days i could hardly believe it myself. Clearly with a turn around like that i though the worst .. But it was a positive result ....

I am a little confused on the merrit pool thing. I hope some one can clear this up for me i know there is 440 places and that is divided in to two parts of 220 for RC and 220 for NON RC...

So does it mean that you really want to get a place some where between 1 and 220 in the merit pool to go through. Is the placing in the merit pool dependent on your result in the AC and how well you have done against the other people from the AC???

Does any one know what month the intake will be for training???

Hope some one can help

Juilet Bravo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Zzoop

If you read previous posts on this thread and the vetting thread, those answers will be provided - but here goes anyway - in a nutshell.

Apparantly last campaigns intake merit numbers of 700+ for RCs were good enough yet for Non-RCs it had to be atleast in the 500s.

We don't know what month this campaigns first intake will be - some suspect November but noone knows for sure.

The merit pool will be ready at the end of September.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

Zzoop wrote: »
    ...The merit pool will be ready at the end of September....

Ive already bought a new pair of shorts for 'the pool' I plan on floating about in there for quite a while... my vetting will be loooooong!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Ive already bought a new pair of shorts for 'the pool' I plan on floating about in there for quite a while... my vetting will be loooooong!!

I have water wings and a nice rubber ducky .........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭ciaran2008

Congrats to all those who have passed the AC. It seems like everyone is passing the AC so again congrats but does anyone know of anyone who hasn't passed it?

I'm still waiting vetting forms grrrr :mad: and its been over 3 weeks since ive done my AC and got the pass letter buytthats it. Although it did say it is unlikely that I would be contacted before september

ciaran2008 wrote: »
    Congrats to all those who have passed the AC. It seems like everyone is passing the AC so again congrats but does anyone know of anyone who hasn't passed it?

I'm still waiting vetting forms grrrr :mad: and its been over 3 weeks since ive done my AC and got the pass letter buytthats it. Although it did say it is unlikely that I would be contacted before september

There have been some who've failed sadly. And while we are all clutching our lovely pass letters, its how well we've passed and merit nos that count!

I havent had vetting either but Ac only over a week ago. Fingers crossed they're a'coming!:rolleyes:

Yea your right there. .

I'm going to start my criminology degree now in sept so if it dosn't go well for me in this campaign I'm just going to sit out until I graduate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭shelleyelley

Hey there

guys im really starting to worry!!!!! i done my AC on the 19th june, got my pass letter about a month ago now, acctually more i think, and i have yet to recieve vetting!!!!!

Ive got visions of a letter comming through the door saying 'sorry you did not score high enought, better luck next time' lol

What do you guys think, honestly, do you think its a bad sign!!

PANICKKKKKK LOL :(

• Advertisement

Hey,

Yea im in the sameboat as you in regards to having not recieved vetting etc but to be honest I am not going to worry until september comes because I really don't think vetting being sent out means anything just yet because thi campaign will last o long etc. .

seriously try not to worry for a few more weeks,

easier said than done but heh ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Sadie OOO!!!

ciaran2008 wrote: »
    Hey,

Yea im in the sameboat as you in regards to having not recieved vetting etc but to be honest I am not going to worry until september comes because I really don't think vetting being sent out means anything just yet because thi campaign will last o long etc. .

seriously try not to worry for a few more weeks,

easier said than done but heh ;)

No how you feel just done my A/c on 20th Aug and i have the bug already just cant wait to find out.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

haha i took mine on the 18th there in the afternoon session. got a letter through the door there saying ive successfully completed it. loving it. i thought i was gonna fail! tight as a ducks arse like.

smyff wrote: »
    haha i took mine on the 18th there in the afternoon session. got a letter through the door there saying ive successfully completed it. loving it. i thought i was gonna fail! tight as a ducks arse like.

That was quick. So did you do your A/c on 18th? I hope i pass as this is my second time getting this fsr. Last time never got selected from the merit pool!!!! :eek::mad:

That was quick. So did you do your A/c on 18th? I hope i pass as this is my second time getting this fsr. Last time never got selected from the merit pool!!!! :eek::mad:

What was your merit last time (roughly) and background if you dont mind me asking.
    You can PM me if you'd rather keep it on the shush.
    This is my first time so trying to get as good a picture as I can of what gets you where if you get my drift!:p

What was your merit last time (roughly) and background if you dont mind me asking.
    You can PM me if you'd rather keep it on the shush.
    This is my first time so trying to get as good a picture as I can of what gets you where if you get my drift!:p

My merit was !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭faceman08

I would have thought that you would have been in with a score like that.

faceman08 wrote: »
    I would have thought that you would have been in with a score like that.

Sorry typo mistake. !!!! Sorry:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

Hi Sadie, yeah, I was thinkin' "96??!!"

All the best for this time round :)

All quiet on all fronts then? My vettings gonna take ages, just know it. :(

squirrel81 wrote: »
    Hi Sadie, yeah, I was thinkin' "96??!!"

All the best for this time round :)

All quiet on all fronts then? My vettings gonna take ages, just know it. :(

Just done my A/C on 20th. Think i done ok. So here's hoping all turns out good this time for both of us!!!

• Advertisement

aye only took 3 days. whats this merit pool everyones talkin about. i looked about to see what it is but i dont wanna trail through 50 pages of posts!!!

twas very quick, this is the last week, tomorrow ending so hopefully youll find out soon!

smyff wrote: »
    aye only took 3 days. whats this merit pool everyones talkin about. i looked about to see what it is but i dont wanna trail through 50 pages of posts!!!

twas very quick, this is the last week, tomorrow ending so hopefully youll find out soon!

Merit pool is where they select officers based on 50% catholic and 50% non catholic. Top marks are selected first. So if there is 440 jobs then the top 220 from both sides will get selected. Hope this helps!! Hoping to hear soon aswell then.. Fingers crossed

cool thanks. i really hope i get it first time. itd be a killer if i didnt. knowing ive to become a tech bum for another year haha. good luck!!! tell me how you do.

PSNI. Do i have to pass all the individual areas of the A/C or is it an overall mark given

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭conor123

you are awarded points for each role-play, written excercise etc. it is out of 70 overall. you wont be disqualified if you get a 0 for one thing.

conor123 wrote: »
    you are awarded points for each role-play, written excercise etc. it is out of 70 overall. you wont be disqualified if you get a 0 for one thing.

That's good to know as i didn't do to hot in one of the role plays. Have you done your A/c yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jason Clerkin

Well if you are tested for respect and diversity in every test and if you fail this you fail whole thing no matter how you scored in other competencies i.e make racist remark or something similar.

Would we be right in assuming that the ACs are now O to the V to the E to the R?????

yuppp. they told us this was the final week. when do the medicals start? i hope its not till mid october. i was hoping to drive to it :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

A question about the next stage...

I'm assuming that since the medicals are the most expensive part (and biggest financial waste) on the part of the PSNI, that many 'Dear John' letters will be sent out between finalisation of the merit pool and their commencement. I can't imagine everyone who has passed the AC being inviting to attend a medical. Am I right? wrong? kinda on the right track? :P

MrFug wrote: »
    A question about the next stage...

I'm assuming that since the medicals are the most expensive part (and biggest financial waste) on the part of the PSNI, that many 'Dear John' letters will be sent out between finalisation of the merit pool and their commencement. I can't imagine everyone who has passed the AC being inviting to attend a medical. Am I right? wrong? kinda on the right track? :P

I think for C13 the merit pool ran to the 800's/ 900's so I think you'd be right in assuming that they aren't going to do be doing that many medicals. There have been people getting into training with merit numbers from the 700s though. Its hard to know without knowing how many people sat the assessment centre, how many failed, how many passed but there are probably a fair few hundred who would get cut as this point. Just hope I'm not one of them!:(

I wouldnt have thought it made financial sense to give all 800/900 a medical so for my personal take on it, they will finalise the merit pool, offer medicals to those most likely to be offered training from that plus an extra percentage to cover wastage and people dropping out. Even if they calculate the wastage at 10% thats still almost 500 medicals to be processed.

One thing for certain though.......we have to wait......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

I think for C13 the merit pool ran to the 800's/ 900's so I think you'd be right in assuming that they aren't going to do be doing that many medicals. There have been people getting into training with merit numbers from the 700s though. Its hard to know without knowing how many people sat the assessment centre, how many failed, how many passed but there are probably a fair few hundred who would get cut as this point. Just hope I'm not one of them!:(

I wouldnt have thought it made financial sense to give all 800/900 a medical so for my personal take on it, they will finalise the merit pool, offer medicals to those most likely to be offered training from that plus an extra percentage to cover wastage and people dropping out. Even if they calculate the wastage at 10% thats still almost 500 medicals to be processed.

One thing for certain though.......we have to wait......:D

Being in the wastage category sucks! You get put through the V&M, get your hopes up and then get unceremoniously dumped on your arse with a "Dear John!" :mad:

I was told from a very good source approx. 8000 sat the IST and between 2000-2300 passed.

Can you explain the Merit pool placing for me. How can someone in 700's get a placing if only top 440 places available. Say you get 700 does this mean you have finished with a score that places you 700th on the overall list of candidates?

Its funny, one week you get a letter saying you passed next few you can get a dear John.. Talk about building you up to knock you down lol..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

I was told from a very good source approx. 8000 sat the IST and between 2000-2300 passed.

Can you explain the Merit pool placing for me. How can someone in 700's get a placing if only top 440 places available. Say you get 700 does this mean you have finished with a score that places you 700th on the overall list of candidates?

Its funny, one week you get a letter saying you passed next few you can get a dear John.. Talk about building you up to knock you down lol..

Whoever gets a merit placing of 1 has scored the highest overall. If someone scores 700, they have 699 people who scored better.

There are 440 places up for grabs. 220 for RC's and 220 for non-RC's.

How can someone in 700's get a placing if only top 440 places available.

One word. BACKGROUND.

• Advertisement

carlty888 wrote: »
    Being in the wastage category sucks! You get put through the V&M, get your hopes up and then get unceremoniously dumped on your arse with a "Dear John!" :mad:

This is your year!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭New Recruit

One word. BACKGROUND.

and also, failed medicals, failed vetting and those who chose not to take the position when offered to them (which from what I believe are many in number)....

It's not all about religion!!

and also, failed medicals, failed vetting and those who chose not to take the position when offered to them (which from what I believe are many in number)....

It's not all about religion!!

I would say even with those other factors background will still be the dominant one. And before you all go getting your knickers in a twist, I am not in any way shape or form biased/sectarian or whatever label you want to put on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭New Recruit

Didn't for a second suggest you where, just pointing out the fact that background is not the sole reason for the 700+ merit score getting you a place at the hotel.

Thanks for explaining that :) Is Vetting really strict though. I heard people who got in that had convictions? What would be the main factors in not passing Vetting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

main factors for failed vetting, immediate family, including your partners family having criminal convictions, having convictions yourself, serious debt problems or too many traffic offences/penalty points. and if you fail vetting they won't tell you why due to "confidentiality" even though it is in regard to you! so you have to do a whole freedom of info request to get the details if you chose to appeal!

on the dear john letter side of things, i read somewhere that 1800 people who passed everything last year still got dear john letters as they were not ranked highly enough so there is a high wastage rate. there is a report floating about explaining everything, its a bit of a confusing read though, thats official reports for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

Thanks for explaining that :) Is Vetting really strict though. I heard people who got in that had convictions? What would be the main factors in not passing Vetting?

I don't think there is too much transparency in the process. I can't imagine feedback sheets being sent out on why someone failed vetting :)

If your financial affairs are a shambles, then that's a pretty big basis for rejection (in theory, predisposing the officer to accepting bribes!).

To be honest, I think they would reject you also if your family was, say, a well known republican or loyalist one. It's all about accountability to the general public, how they would react and what they expect of a police service. Would I want police officers serving my community who were upto their eyes in debts? etc and so on.

Having said that, I'm speculating and most likely, full of crap. I just like replying to posts... makes me feel speshul.

Cruising into Vetting territory here, perhaps best to move it to Vetting thread lest PSNI slaps our wrists with wet lettuce leaves.:eek:

Cool. Thanks for your help guys and girl. Very much appreciated.:) ..

Ok back to the Assesment Centre Business... so when we the merit pool comes out is everyone going to be posting their placing if they are in it or will it be highly confidental!!!! I'm new to the whole process on here as first year to apply!

NEVER post your exact merit number - it makes you instantly identifiable to PSNI who do peruse these boards.

Ok wasn't sure if it was confidential or not.. It's like gettting your Leaving Cert results but can't tell anyone what grade you got lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Maura2145

howdie my homies. long time no postin. anyone have any tip offs regarding the approx number of people that were to sit the AC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭belfastard

i think im gonna ring enquire about my merit pool at the start of sept.worth a shot.plus check to see if they got my vetting ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 rugby_blonde

Your Lucky Belfastard! lol

I still aint got my Vetting Forms Yet...I'm like a Fish out of Water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭faceman08

hey,

i cant actually find my pass letter any longer, but did the letter say that we would be contacted before september or before the end of september?

i hate waiting:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement