Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 3 - Vetting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kalel90

101 then asked to be put through for recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Drummer64

Anyone else pass vetting yet? Or is everyone still ongoing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Still ongoing 2 weeks ago

Yeah I'm still ongoing as of yesterday :(

Hi, looking some advice. Recently received a letter from vetting rejecting my application due to driving with no insurance in 2015 (My parents had bought a new car and i drove it home for them as my dads disabled and couldn't drive the other vehicle. Turned out my own insurance didn't cover me driving it home and i got 6 points and a fine). Never had any car or any other issues bar this. Any advice on how i could go about appealing this decision as pretty devastated at this stage or am i grasping at straws?

Any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

Kalel90 wrote: »
    Hi, looking some advice. Recently received a letter from vetting rejecting my application due to driving with no insurance in 2015 (My parents had bought a new car and  i drove it home for them as my dads disabled and couldn't drive the other vehicle.  Turned out my own insurance didn't cover me driving it home and i got 6 points and a fine). Never had any car or any other issues bar this. Any advice on how i could go about appealing this decision as pretty devastated at this stage or am i grasping at straws?

Any advice appreciated.
    Guidance on JoinPSNI.co.uk:

(ii) Motoring Offences
    The following applicants will not be considered further:
    1. those who have been convicted of causing death by reckless (or dangerous) driving;
    2. anyone who has received more than one period of disqualification from driving;
    3. until 10 years has elapsed since conviction for any of the following: Dangerous Driving; 'Hit and Run Accident' offences, Drink Driving offences (including drugs), Driving Whilst Disqualified; Taking a Vehicle Without Authority; Vehicle Interference and associated forging or fraudulently altering documents.
    4. permitting any of the offences at (c) above.
    5. until 5 years has elapsed since conviction for no insurance.
    6. until 5 years has elapsed since conviction for two or more convictions for regulatory offences.
    7. has been convicted on three or more occasions arising separately of any other offences under the Road Traffic Orders or any equivalent offences elsewhere within 5 years from the date of application.
    Looks like (ii)5 applies - you have to wait 5 years for the conviction to expire :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

That's a sh*t one kalel. I was coming on to say appeal, appeal, appeal but it looks like it is pretty black and white from the outset.

Still might be worth a try though. Although if your circumstances didn't work at the time it may not work now but nothing to lose and all that.

Edit: did you disclose this in your vetting forms? If you didn't then sadly your chances are mega slim I'm afraid.

Cheers guys! Yeah i disclosed everything and the situation in which it happened. I obviously had insurance, just unaware it didn't cover me on that car. The officer himself said the amount of times it happens and people assume. A lesson learned with 6 points and a fine but devastated it has ruined the chances of this after getting so far. Will appeal as nothing to lose! Thanks for the help!

That's a hard one to take kalel. You in for harbour police at the min? If not might be worth looking at police jobs across the water if you can't apply for X amount of time here.. that's what I would do anyway.

Yeah had an interview but got the dear john for that two days ago. Not a good week haha! If i can talk the Mrs into it. Enjoy the job i'm in so thats the silver lining but still absolutely gutted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Like the others have said it was there in black in white from the very start so i'm not sure you're going to have much luck to be honest.

Gather as many character references as you can, write an extremely heartfelt letter explaining the circumstances and hope you catch the appeals panel on the right day.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wonkyempresso

Hey. Recently done vetting forms but didn't include my mother and fathers partners as i never lived with them and dont see them as step parents. I now think I should have included them from reading some posts. Do you guys think i woauld be able to ring vetting and get them added on?

Hey. Recently done vetting forms but didn't include my mother and fathers partners as i never lived with them and dont see them as step parents. I now think I should have included them from reading some posts. Do you guys think i woauld be able to ring vetting and get them added on?

It would do no harm to call recruitment and get advice. Call 101 and ask for recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Email and see the craic, you could be surprised to find it might have already cleared.

Mines is cleared now too btw :) just over 3 months it took. In the waiting room now.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ponif

Hello, been lurking these forums for a while and the advice being handed out here seems pretty good so I was just wondering if you lot might be able to ease a concern of mine regarding vetting, now most of my immediate and extended family have clean records but I do have a half brother whom I have not had contact with for over ten years, (although I have no explicit proof of this) recently I typed his name into google to see what he was up too and discovered an article by the times with his mug on the front cover, turns out he was involved in a cyber attack on the home office taking the website down for a couple of hours. This came as a complete surprise to me and I was wondering if my relation to him may lead to my rejection at the vetting stage.

I have not spoken to him either on the phone or in person for nearly ten years and I have no intention of contacting him at all or any desire to reconcile with him, I have no idea where he lives or what he is doing right now but it still is a pretty big concern for myself at the moment as I've been prepping pretty hard in anticipation for the upcoming campaign and it would be quite a big letdown if I got rejected based on the activities of a man I hardly even know. (Even when I was in contact with him, it was done on a annual basis and was very limited, since I was a child at the time and he was working in London for a banking firm)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Ponif wrote: »
    Hello, been lurking these forums for a while and the advice being handed out here seems pretty good so I was just wondering if you lot might be able to ease a concern of mine regarding vetting, now most of my immediate and extended family have clean records but I do have a half brother whom I have not had contact with for over ten years, (although I have no explicit proof of this) recently I typed his name into google to see what he was up too and discovered an article by the times with his mug on the front cover, turns out he was involved in a cyber attack on the home office taking the website down for a couple of hours. This came as a complete surprise to me and I was wondering if my relation to him may lead to my rejection at the vetting stage.

I have not spoken to him either on the phone or in person for nearly ten years and I have no intention of contacting him at all or any desire to reconcile with him, I have no idea where he lives or what he is doing right now but it still is a pretty big concern for myself at the moment as I've been prepping pretty hard in anticipation for the upcoming campaign and it would be quite a big letdown if I got rejected based on the activities of a man I hardly even know. (Even when I was in contact with him, it was done on a annual basis and was very limited, since I was a child at the time and he was working in London for a banking firm)

Hi Ponif, welcome to the board.

On reading your post my initial thought is that your application may be rejected from the outset. I completely appreciate your comments and understand where you are coming from, however it's a pretty serious offence to be charged with and the PSNI will have to consider whether it would be a risk. Having said that, I can imagine an appeal could be successful (usually an interview with senior officers).

Your best bet is to be open and honest from the outset. Provided you and your immediate family have clean records then it should go in your favour, but just prepare yourself for a potential stumbling block. I hope all goes well for your application, fingers crossed it doesn't hold you back

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ponif

I should add that I have no idea if he was ever charged with anything, as the article does not indicate if he was. It's really a crapshoot because I know literally nothing about him. But thanks for the advice anyway, although I guess will have to wait and see never intended to be anything but open and honest

I would link the article but alas, I cannot post links since I'm a new user.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goodburger1

I didn't include my dad's wife and my vetting cleared. She isn't my step mum so I didn't list her.

Hi,

Posted on here before about a motoring offence and failing vetting due to it. I had appealed the decision with a few character references and the independent assessor overturned it in my favour.

Just some hope for anyone in a similar situation, obviously everyones individual case is different but it is always worth appealing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Babybuns

How do you know if your vetting passed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ColourArcade

Babybuns wrote: »
    You don't really, you would need to get in contact with Recruitment and they will be able to tell you.
    Call 101 and ask to speak to recruitment.

Babybuns wrote: »

Email the recruitment email address and give them your UID number they will tell you.

Or ring 101 and ask for recruitment

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rossco22

Hi guys,

My first post here, I'm hoping to apply in the coming recruitment drive however I was seeking clarification around the vetting stage with regards to financials, specifically would a CCJ be grounds for failing the vetting process?

I would greatly appreciate any reply and apologies if this has been asked previously.

Rossco22 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

My first post here, I'm hoping to apply in the coming recruitment drive however I was seeking clarification around the vetting stage with regards to financials, specifically would a CCJ be grounds for failing the vetting process?

I would greatly appreciate any reply and apologies if this has been asked previously.

They do mention taking ccjs in to consideration. I think there is an amount of time that had to pass. But my advice is apply anyway. Considering the fact recruitment hasn't opened yet and it could take 2-3 years to get to vetting you could be in the clear by the time you get vetted! Apply and cross your fingers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rossco22

Thank you Drummer, appreciate the reply! Yea I think I'll just go for it and hope for the best haha! :)

When they open the new campaign you should try to get to one the information sessions. They normally have someone from HR there who might be able to help you :)

As Drummer said you should definitely apply and when it comes to vetting put down as much information as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Rossco22 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I know in the England and Wales forces financial problems were not a barrier as long as they were discharged for at least a year, everything up to bankruptcy was OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pumba91

I know it's probably been touched on quite a bit on here but just a few questions about tattoos:

1) is there a certain location for tattoos that's a definite no? I mean like even a certain length down the arms?

2) how strict are they about stuff. Obviously you cant have anything sectarian or offensive but if it's anything else S it generally ok?

3) what are they like about tattoos gained after you join?

I don't have any at the moment just curious because it's something I would have been interested in

Pumba91 wrote: »
    I know it's probably been touched on quite a bit on here but just a few questions about tattoos:

1) is there a certain location for tattoos that's a definite no? I mean like even a certain length down the arms?

2) how strict are they about stuff. Obviously you cant have anything sectarian or offensive but if it's anything else S it generally ok?

3) what are they like about tattoos gained after you join?

I don't have any at the moment just curious because it's something I would have been interested in

Off the top of my head;

1) Hands, face and neck are the obvious culprits. As long it can be covered with your uniform you 'should' be alright.

2) There was a guy recently who failed vetting as his half sleeve forearm was 'violent and intimidating' although he said it wasn't. Appealed and failed.

3) Seems to be stricter on entry than afterwards. Common sense would be a good rule thumb. Maj did say some supervisors are stricter than others about what's on show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Razor3677

I was looking through the new website and seen that as part of the vetting they look at your wider extended family. I was just wondering, what happens if you're not in contact with a lot of your wider extended family? I don't know many of them and I'm not sure if they've been on the wrong side of the law. If they have, could this affect me joining and would I need to declare any issues they've had?

Advertisement