Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 3 - Vetting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

bobbin88 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure we only get notified if we have failed the drugs test. It's not something to write out about if someone hoping to get into the PSNI passes a drugs test!
    I'm sure Seapark would be notified of the results quite quickly, I doubt they would delcare someone medically fit, who has failed the drugs test.

Fair enough.

I had my medical about a fortnight ago, got a pass letter four days later. I had been expecting something else to come through to say that the drugs test was clear, but I think you could very well be right about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

carlty888 wrote: »
    PYG passed her vetting, but didn't receive a letter. She only found out because she rang recruitment to ask. Probably not a good idea to call them at the moment though. Particularly in light of last weeks letters.

Congrats on the medical pass. I'm still waiting on the results of the drugs test too. Do we only get notified about the results of this if it's a fail?

Tis true. I rang vetting to make sure they had received my vetting ok as i hadnt sent via recorded delivery. The guy said yep we have it and your vetting is cleared. I was like whoo hoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Delta2783

Hi PYG, Congrats on passing everything.

I got my merit place of less than 120 and got my medical on wed! What number did you call to find out about your vetting?

Thanks, but im still waiting on a medical date.

Just ring the recruitment number and ask to speak to someone regarding vetting. I cant remember the number of the top of my head. Its on the forum somewhere though.

Ps- wow amazing merit score unlike mine

Hi, thanks but i think i just got lucky, was my 1st time doing it as well! I passed the IST a few times and never bothered going to the A/C cos i didnt have any confidence in myself. So decided I may as well try this year. What age are you BTW im 20.

Im 19:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr.Anderson

Im 19:)

You sure?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

I'm 28. And a wee bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

I'm 28. And a wee bit.

You forgot the 'ch'. :P

• Advertisement

MrFug wrote: »
    You forgot the 'ch'. :P

B'stard.

;)

***scottish accent ***

You startin mate?

You know im only 19!!!!!!!!!

***scottish accent ***

Ya startin me pal?

Ya ken am only 19!!!!!!!!!

Is that right?...How long did u live in scotland for? lol:D

Is that right?...How long did u live in scotland for? lol:D

al mae life i lee'd in scatlan!

al mae life i lee'd in scatlan!

I knew you weren't from around here!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭bobbin88

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to vet someone?
    I rang the other day to check where I was at with the vetting, and it was still 'ongoing.'
    My forms have been away sine mid-June.
    Is this a long time or just average?
    And also, will it take longer to vet me as I had address in England last year for uni?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

Hi bobbin, I think the address in England could hold things up as they would need to contact another force, but as its only one address it shouldnt cause a major delay. Ive 5 addresses in England ( :eek: ) and family everywhere too, my vettings been away a good while too. Think im in for a long wait. As for the question of how long vetting should take, how longs a piece of string?? :D id say everyone is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭bobbin88

What do they do with regards to the vetting anyway? Do they just check out that you haven't lied about where you've lived? How would they do that?
    Im while nosey!
    Hope it hurrys up and finishes!
    Have you had a med date yet squirrel81?

im guessing its checking for criminal convictions under other forces or huge debts that people have fled from :confused: i think :P No medical date here, when i rang up last week i was told i hadnt been scheduled for one yet. Its taking a....g....e.....s....! :)

If your merit number's good enough, the PSNI will hold a place for you until your vetting has been completed, regardless of how low it takes.

PYG's took less than 2 months, PSNI's (the moderator) took about a year!

I think the average is about 3-4 months.

thats good to know, so would there be any point in going for C15 with a decent merit number this time around?

• Advertisement

squirrel81 wrote: »
    thats good to know, so would there be any point in going for C15 with a decent merit number this time around?
    Definately. Keep applying until you've actually got a place in Garnerville confirmed. What happens if you fail vetting, or have to pull out for some reason (Deferring may not be approved in some circumstances) and you haven't applied for C15?!
    It's happened to a few people in previous campaigns. They've ended up having to sit it out for an extra year.

carlty888 wrote: »
    Definately. Keep applying until you've actually got a place in Garnerville confirmed. What happens if you fail vetting, or have to pull out for some reason (Deferring may not be approved in some circumstances) and you haven't applied for C15?!
    It's happened to a few people in previous campaigns. They've ended up having to sit it out for an extra year.

But would it not reason to stand, that if you failed vetting, chances are you would be failing it again as your details would not have changed? Wherease if you failed medical for say, high bmi, you could get fit, reapply and pass the medical the next time. How could you improve on your vetting?

But would it not reason to stand, that if you failed vetting, chances are you would be failing it again as your details would not have changed? Wherease if you failed medical for say, high bmi, you could get fit, reapply and pass the medical the next time. How could you improve on your vetting?
    If you fail your vetting, for example, due to bad credit rating. A year could make a big difference here. Too many points on your driving license could be another cause for not progressing. I think that it was redsurfer that this happened to. 10 points on his license caused him to be dumped out of C13. He looses most of those points early next year, so he would be eligible again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭lolli-j

Although i've lived at same address for all my life pretty much, my brother moved to Scottish police a wee while ago, do you think this would cause a delay in my vetting??

Hi Guys, does anyone know if someone fails their vetting do the PSNI tell them why? I just passed my medical and have a merit score of less than 120, sent my vetting forms back at the end of July. I have no reason to worry, no debt apart from mortgage and never been in trouble with police, I even worked for them for 2 years doing admin, despite all this I STILL AM WORRYING THOUGH! lol Please someone tell me that everything will be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭owen1976

Delta2783 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, does anyone know if someone fails their vetting do the PSNI tell them why? I just passed my medical and have a merit score of less than 120, sent my vetting forms back at the end of July. I have no reason to worry, no debt apart from mortgage and never been in trouble with police, I even worked for them for 2 years doing admin, despite all this I STILL AM WORRYING THOUGH! lol Please someone tell me that everything will be fine!

Everything will be fine!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭PC Inwaiting

There are so many things at this stage to worry about. Had my medical so just waiting for that and my vetting.

On a good point I have a merit score under 120, even the woman on the phone that told me was excited.

Great feeling after all this work and effort.

When did you do your medical PC Inwaiting? I'm trying to gauge what the standard reply time is. Currently I've been waiting 8 days, but I've heard of people hearing back within 4 or 5!

When did you do your medical PC Inwaiting? I'm trying to gauge what the standard reply time is. Currently I've been waiting 8 days, but I've heard of people hearing back within 4 or 5!

Only been waiting for 3 days so far, think I have a while to go. I have heard ppl have gotten really early responses too but I suppose everyone is different.

Surely you have to wait the full 2 weeks for the drug test anyway

Only been waiting for 3 days so far, think I have a while to go. I have heard ppl have gotten really early responses too but I suppose everyone is different.

Surely you have to wait the full 2 weeks for the drug test anyway

I would say so, but the drug's test should be more straight-forward than the medical. Either you've taken drugs or you haven't. There are a few things on my MHQ that may or may not lead to rejection. Hence why I'm eager to know.

• Advertisement

I would say so, but the drug's test should be more straight-forward than the medical. Either you've taken drugs or you haven't. There are a few things on my MHQ that may or may not lead to rejection. Hence why I'm eager to know.

Think I am in the same boat as you, I ticked yes to a few of those questions, they could easily fail me on any one of them.

My thinking is , if you fail due to ill health there is not much you can do, were as if you fail the A/C I would have always wondered , What if.....

No I think it would be worse to come this far and fail the medical. It's not that you will fail because you have an illness, but more that you will fail because you visited your doctor about that illness and it went on your record. It would be infuriating.

Would you say, in complete honesty, that any of those boxes you ticked would prevent or impede you from carrying out the role of police constable? I bet you would say 'No'. I bet you KNOW you can do it. Still, it wont stop them turning you down... because it's part of your medical history.

Who would have thought going to the Doctor's years ago could totally screw with your dream job.

Let me know if you hear any word Mr Fug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭waawaa

I have just received my medical date but havent got any vetting forms yet - is this normal?

waawaa wrote: »
    I have just received my medical date but havent got any vetting forms yet - is this normal?

No. And totally pointless if you ask me.
    Vetting you could take up to a year. Whats the point in doing a medical and wasting money when you could injure yourself and be unfit for duty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭waawaa

false alarm, phoned them & apparently they were sent out today..... conveniently. kinda hopin that that im gona get a speedy response. ive just spoken to a girl i know who was accepted 1 and a half weeks after doin her medical. fingers crossed

false alarm, phoned them & apparently they were sent out today..... conveniently. kinda hopin that that im gona get a speedy response. ive just spoken to a girl i know who was accepted 1 and a half weeks after doin her medical. fingers crossed

Hi Waawaa, was she campaign 14 or a previous one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

No. And totally pointless if you ask me.
    Vetting you could take up to a year. Whats the point in doing a medical and wasting money when you could injure yourself and be unfit for duty

uh-oh i think someone is getting a little impatient!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Sadie OOO!!!

lol. lol. lol. cracker!!!!! that made my day!. well done on the medical. and calm down mrs hunt yours will come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

Has anyone actually had a letter to say they passed vetting? I'm getting a bit confused about how it goes.

I've heard conflicting stories that you don't get a letter you just get a start date. Or that you do get a letter, then a start date. I hate not knowing what to expect!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Sadie OOO!!!

PandaPants wrote: »
    Has anyone actually had a letter to say they passed vetting? I'm getting a bit confused about how it goes.

I've heard conflicting stories that you don't get a letter you just get a start date. Or that you do get a letter, then a start date. I hate not knowing what to expect!!

letter of reply from vetting!!!! most of us havent even had vetting forms yet lol.

letter of reply from vetting!!!! most of us havent even had vetting forms yet lol.

Really?? I sent mine off about a month ago now!! And there was me thinking I was away behind everyone because I was in one of the last A/C's!

you must have done really well in the AC Pandapants :D Ive my medical next week, to say im nervous is a big understatement. Im cr**ing it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

and me squirell same boat bricking it!:o

Hey,

I sent my vetting back to them in June. I rang last month to see if they had definately recieved and they told me i passed it.

They dont inform you if your vetting is complete. I was just a flook that i found out.

• Advertisement

you must have done really well in the AC Pandapants :D Ive my medical next week, to say im nervous is a big understatement. Im cr**ing it :P

I didn't actually, I'm in the 440's on the merit list!! :eek:

I'm thinking of ringing them tomorrow to ask about vetting, even though they told us not to!

Hey,

I sent my vetting back to them in June. I rang last month to see if they had definately recieved and they told me i passed it.

They dont inform you if your vetting is complete. I was just a flook that i found out.

That's great. Have you done your medical yet??

That's great. Have you done your medical yet??

Nope. Im in the 350's non RC so it could be a while yet before I get one.

I don't understand. I thought they were all done at the same time. Do RC's get theirs first then?

I don't understand. I thought they were all done at the same time. Do RC's get theirs first then?

Nope. I'm a non-RC with a merit number 100-150 and I had my medical more than three weeks ago.

In previous campaigns RC's with merit scores up to 850+ have been called up for training, while non-RC's have needed to score much lower (up to 350ish). Perhaps they are only vetting the top 220 RC's and 220 non-RC's (initially). As people fail vetting, medicals, pull out etc they will move further up the list.

• Advertisement
Advertisement