Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

From what I gathered it was only something to watch while you waited on the barber. Looked pretty good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

sorry if this has been asked before but I sat my ac in june and passed and got my vetting forms and my merit placing etc.but a few people who were there on the same day got their medical date but I didnt yet,who can I cotact to enquire about medicals and if someone could pm me the number that would be much obliged,im just hoping that being from the south is delaying it slightly as the others who got their dates were uk citizens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

waiting28 wrote: »
    Hi guys got medical date today and its for next week, cant believe its that quick ,very nervous now .Bit wary of one or two questions on the form.

What is it on the MHQ that has you spooked ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Stoic_Copper

Well, I guess everyone is different, but I had my medical and got the results a week later. Sometimes the form does look a bit daunting, but remember that we are not perfect and you cannot be expected to be either. Put down what you know and talk to your GP about the stuff you are not sure of, they will direct you best. Getting to the medical is a good sign, things are progressing forward. You should be happy, its a step you can't miss and its just one more thing out of your way to getting a great career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kellyhud

Had my medical today, just wondering if I failed e.g. the hearing test would the doctor of discussed that with me when I was with him after?or would I just find out in my letter?

• Advertisement

No , they will not discuss results on the day - you have to await the letter which if you have failed will tell you why.
    A lot of folks get very nervous about the hearing test so it's nothing unusual to be a bit worried about.
    Any reason you think you might have failed it ?

delancey42 wrote: »
    No , they will not discuss results on the day - you have to await the letter which if you have failed will tell you why.
    A lot of folks get very nervous about the hearing test so it's nothing unusual to be a bit worried about.
    Any reason you think you might have failed it ?

oh ok i thought he might of said because he told me about a heart murmur he found and I've to take a letter to my GP today to find out if it's innocent or not - news to me I've never been told I have one! So hopefully all is innocent and I'll drop the letter back saying so.

I am quite young so wasn't worried about my hearing but I felt when she done my left ear I couldn't hear the sound comin through the headset but instead like I heard it in the room where the nurse was, as if the ear piece was broken and I could only hear the sound coming from her computer, though with my right ear it came through fine.

Also to follow on with a point some one made a while ago 5 people didn't show up to mine, drug testing guy said it's like this most days!

Take comort from the fact that you heard the sounds , that's the most important thing - the booth is sound-proofed so the only way you could hear was with the headset.
    Lots of people are convinced they could hear their heart beating doing that test !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

kellyhud wrote: »

Also to follow on with a point some one made a while ago 5 people didn't show up to mine, drug testing guy said it's like this most days!
    im just wondering how many people are invited up at a time 5 seems quite alot not to show up if they are only inviting a few up everyday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

triple-M wrote: »
    im just wondering how many people are invited up at a time 5 seems quite alot not to show up if they are only inviting a few up everyday

It's like that most days, from what I saw and what I've been told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

I asked the chaperone how many people per day had medicals. She said 16. Medicals are also only held 2 days a week.

I definitely heard my heart beating, I was very aware of it sitting there - put that down to nerves!

Yes I was told the same, 2 days a week and 16 people per day so if you work it out that's about a quarter of people not turning up. I'm guessing that's their application terminated then? Bumps me up the queue anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Just to add, there was 2 no-shows on the day of my medical too, keeps bumping us up the list :D

At least 4 no-shows when I was there and yes , once they no show that's the end of their chances in C16.
    Lots of No Shows at the AC as well plus many hundreds at the IST , I guess it's people realising the Police really is not for them . Better they pull out now than get to Garnerville and drop out after a day or two , thus depriving somebody who really wants to be there of a chance - my pet hate :mad: .

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Kizwiz

Hi all,
    just got my med pass letter this morning. Well chuffed!:) Was 4 no shows when i done mine aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

The more people who dont turn up the better :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

Gee-22 wrote: »
    The more people who dont turn up the better :D

I second that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mouser1

anybody able to shed some light on how they measure body fat %??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 harrijack

Does anyone know how long the medical appeal takes to get an answer? Told today I didn't pass but should appeal

harrijack wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long the medical appeal takes to get an answer? Told today I didn't pass but should appeal

I have sent off my appeal to them about a week ago, was told it could take anything up to eight weeks, depends when they can get somebody to look at it. Think it will probably a take a month or so at a guess.

• Advertisement

mouser1 wrote: »

They wire you up to a machine of some description that does the measuring - how it works it out I have not got the faintest notion. But it is painless I assure you :D

Appeals ( as distinct from 'additional information ' requests ) are , I understand , rarely done in under a month but I would agree with what has already been said that it would be less than 8 weeks.

mouser1 wrote: »

The only truly effective way to measure this is via a water tank etc where you are submerged and some sort of scanner is used. Calipers are less accurate. Those electric machines are useless. Basically imbalanced electrolytes/high water/dehydration etc can all affect it.

Do you think you may be higher than 30%? WIthout sound crude or stupid how 'flabby' are you. Have you any defination or visible veins etc on calves, forearms arms etc?

no i went to my local chemist to do my height weight an body fat %, this comprised of standing on scales and gripping the handles on machine, ticket came back BMI 30.2 and body fat % 24%, does this look anywher near good for my medical in couple weeks time, still exercising like mad though :confused::confused:

If you were clothed you would probaly be anywhere from 1-3kg lighter bringing your BMI down. If you wish i could send you a pretty general and basic PM about safe and easy ways to lose weight? (I have some sort of expertise in this though I am nota professional)

I would say you would be at the upper level of acceptable however the more you lose and lighter you are the less chance you have of failing!

It's worth remembering that you have your weight and height taken fully clothed ( apart from your shoes ) so it may be unwise to assume any reduction in weight because of clothes and it's possible you lose a cm or 2 due to no shoes - the worst of both worlds I guess :eek:

BMI of 30.2 is close to the pass mark but just that little bit above it - but 2 weeks is ample time to shed a few more pounds I reckon.
    Mouser - I'm assuming you are male , if I'm incorrect then be aware the BMI for females is 29.

Yes 1986 go ahead and PM me any help u can give, it will be greatly appreciated, yea delancey I am male, my weight always up and down, I run very regularly and am involved in sport at weekends its the food and beer is my serious downfall

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

Well I needed sone rapid weight lost and used < mod snip > diet done the job to bring my bmi down as like you just above 30 that with excercise saw me sail below the 30mark and now on currently more suitable diet of less junk and more walking but the < mod snip > done the job for a quick process :)

Just a word of warning concerning the BMI, I checked my BMI on those machines in the chemists 3 times prior to the medical, in different chemists and got three different results, so I would not place to much faith in their accuracy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

Just a word of warning concerning the BMI, I checked my BMI on those machines in the chemists 3 times prior to the medical, in different chemists and got three different results, so I would not place to much faith in their accuracy biggrin.gif

Take an average?? ;)

• Advertisement

Just a word of warning concerning the BMI, I checked my BMI on those machines in the chemists 3 times prior to the medical, in different chemists and got three different results, so I would not place to much faith in their accuracy :D

Good point , my local chemist has one and they said to me that unless those machines are regularly serviced / calibrated their readings are useless .

Advertisement